Stagea owners here?

gav240z

• Administrators

Hey Folks,

Anyone here a Stagea owner? Now or previously? I've been weighing up a Stagea as a daily driver for a few months now. Not sure how reliable they are as a daily car and running costs etc..?

I've be looking at a 260rs (preference) with the RB26 (GTR wagon basically) or a series 2 RB25 NEO (manual RS4S) I think.

The later ones probably represent good value, but I like inline 6's and RB's.

It would replace the Suzuki Jimny, which is good on fuel, but useless on freeway drives Sydney->Melbourne which I seem to have been doing a lot in the last few years.

I've wanted a Stagea since the early 2000s when I first saw them at a import dealer yard and then later spoke to the dealer when he saw my 240z at a Petrol station and then proceeded to show off and blow by me as I was leaving the station. :)

I had a S1 RS FOUR for a little bit. I picked it up for like $2000 and I hated it. It was painfully slow feeling every bit of its 1600kgs and the cheap crappy coilovers really didn't help it out either. They are pretty old to have as a daily now too and feel every bit of it. These are more on par with R33 Series 2 Skyline than R34 too so don't get fooled by the 34 in the chassis code.

It had the usual FMIC, exhaust, 12psi of boost and pod filter. I don't think an auto RB25DET (they are all auto unless it's been converted or a rare RS FOUR S) is a good motor for something that isn't a sports car/lighter weight sedan.

An M35 with a VQ35 in it would be so much nicer to drive and they aren't even really any more expensive. Go drive a 260RS and see what you think of it, it's the only one of the WC34s I would consider, just because it's a special model.

20160814_101615.thumb.jpg.3a3d050a97234a59a9c51526b42ff30c.jpg

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, d3c0y said:

I had a S1 RS FOUR for a little bit. I picked it up for like $2000 and I hated it. It was painfully slow feeling every bit of its 1600kgs and the cheap crappy coilovers really didn't help it out either.

I've heard the non NEO engine RB25's are indeed slow. Then again would it be slower than a Suzuki Jimny? I lost a drag race to a friends 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage. *just*.

They are pretty old to have as a daily now too and feel every bit of it. These are more on par with R33 Series 2 Skyline than R34 too so don't get fooled by the 34 in the chassis code.

Yeah the age of them is a slight concern, along with higher mileage examples. I'm aware they are more R33 than 34, but thanks and yeah the chassis code can be confusing in that regard.

I don't think an auto RB25DET (they are all auto unless it's been converted or a rare RS FOUR S) is a good motor for something that isn't a sports car/lighter weight sedan.

Auto's are pretty uninspiring to me in any car, although the missus tends to like them. I'm trying to beat that out of her (metaphorically of course ;))

An M35 with a VQ35 in it would be so much nicer to drive and they aren't even really any more expensive.

They are probably cheaper really, apart from the 260RS which commands a Premium.

Go drive a 260RS and see what you think of it, it's the only one of the WC34s I would consider, just because it's a special model.

The RB26 is what appeals to me. The Motive series on building up an RB26 is partly what has inspired me. Although I have no intentions of having it at 500+HP.

53 minutes ago, d3c0y said:

Oh and you will want to check the front drive shaft unis have been done at this point too. Very common, and mine needed them replaced.

Yeah I've seen quite a few with the front driveshafts *disabled*.

Doug's got an R34 GT-T with 600rwhp on a stock RB25DET NEO as you have seen on Facebook. These motors can do it but his car is far from daily status. 

You also don't have any expectations for the Jimmy to be fast so it's kind of different.

You seem set on the idea of buying one and aware of its downfalls, so I don't know what else someone can impart on you?

Gav i had a series 2 260rs for over a year. Great car. But you really have to ring out the motor to get up to speed. Handling was very soft until i got coilovers. Not much slower than my r32 gtr it replaced. But it does feel big. I had 280awkws with just a bar of boost, exhaust550cc injectors and tomei drop in Poncams. Was very versatile and luggage capacity was like a van.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, d3c0y said:

You seem set on the idea of buying one and aware of its downfalls, so I don't know what else someone can impart on you?

Thanks, I think @Retro Z feedback was what I was kind of looking for.

I spent yesterday afternoon trying to understand how different an RB26 is compared with an RB25DET neo engine. Seems you pay about a 10-15k Premium for a 260RS.

Not a Nissan, but my family truckster is a '07 BMW E61 530 wagon. 200 killerwasps good torque and does the Brisbane - Sydney pacific highway run effortlessly. Very comfortable for a long trip with the family and the rear full of gear for a 12 month old and a week away for the three of us. Lots of room front and back for passengers, rear seat passengers don't need to be an amputee to sit behind me.

The car is surprisingly nimble and quick on a mountain road, far more so than a wagon should be and also has a few nice toys. It uses a very similar 6 speed auto from ZF as the FG falcons, basically same box I believe, which is awesome in any of the modes, auto, sport or manual. Only downside is my car doesn't have the paddles on the steering wheel, but can be fixed easily with a swap.

I paid $17k for mine with 160k om the clock. Servicing it is no dearer than most other cars of the same vintage through an independent workshop. Fuel usage is good, around town i get about 600km to the tank and an easy 800km on the highway, and I don't spare the horses when punting around town. 

Look for a 07/07 build or later with the LCI update, nicer than the earlier pre LCI cars.

I looked at a few family wagon options including Stageas and a few other euros like 300 mercs, plus a 300c SRT and for me I kept coming back to the Bimmer for what I wanted/needed. 

Depending on budget, you may be able to find the later F series wagons which are a step up again.

• 4 months later...
  • Administrators

So.... my Jimny sold. I could have sold it 7 times over I think... 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WZs5XRxh1NgpeXxU9

I cleaned and lightly buffed it last night and now I feel a bit sad saying goodbye to the old friend. I may have to get another in the future.

But I'm picking up a 260RS later this week. I briefly considered a Forester XT - since it's like the Jimny but a bit more luggage space and not slow, but with a 4 banger towing capacity wasn't it's strong point.

The Stagea 260RS is the GTR for the family man (not that I'm a dad yet) and has the boot space and light towing abilities. Found a super clean car that's been well looked after. I paid a Premium for it, but it's low km's new suspension/bushings very stock (OEM) just the way I like it and just a subtle air filter and exhaust mods so makes the right GTR noises.

I drove the RS FOUR S (RB25DET NEOs) and although still a good car, the RB26 is just more exciting and I hope this will hold value over the long term. Really the toughest part was selling the concept to the missus. I went to look at a 260RS that was very much a "project" car and she wasn't impressed by that. When we saw this 1 she could see it was a really well kept example and relented (she loved the Forester). I am sure once she has a drive and we're on the open freeway and she goes to overtake some of those trucks she struggled to get around in the Jimny, she will see why this is a cool car. :)

I think this is about as sensible as I get when it comes to car choices lol..

IMG_20190413_155150.jpg

3 hours ago, gav240z said:

The Stagea 260RS is the GTR for the family man (not that I'm a dad yet) and has the boot space and light towing abilities.

....YET! :P

3 hours ago, gav240z said:

Really the toughest part was selling the concept to the missus. I went to look at a 260RS that was very much a "project" car and she wasn't impressed by that. When we saw this 1 she could see it was a really well kept example and relented (she loved the Forester). I am sure once she has a drive and we're on the open freeway and she goes to overtake some of those trucks she struggled to get around in the Jimny, she will see why this is a cool car. :)

She will probably get pulled over before you do lol

• Administrators

Touche on both points lol..

I never got 1 speeding ticket in the Jimny, then 1 day I got a love letter in the mail. I was like, but I didn't drive that day... then it turns out it was her driving. 55km/h in a 50 zone.. she managed the impossible a speeding fine in a Jimny. She got let off though because her record has been clean for 10 years and it was a School zone that ended 2 mins later. Still I stir her about it.

• Administrators

Someone sent me this...

https://option.tokyo/2019/04/13/23608/

I think it's photoshop, but still funny..

The GTR front-end treatment is tempting, but I wouldn't do it to a genuine 260RS. Only the RS FOUR S :).

Best looking conversion I've seen to date.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, PZG302 said:

Exactly, that Stagea is just a poor imitation of the pinnacle of automotive engineering that  is an AUII wagon Forte on LPG

I could always do this..

au-falcon-front-end-stagea.jpg

• Administrators

Traitor! haha.

I was looking at some Toyotas :P also, 1JZ Chasers or even an Aristo with the 2JZ, but I really wanted the boot space since I've been doing a lot of panel/Z-part carrying around the last few years. The real estate on the roof is huge with a Stagea also (with roof racks/basket etc..) I could easily fit a Z bonnet up there if required.

So I just kept coming back to the Stagea. I was close to a Forester mainly because of price, but I have wanted an RB26 powered car forever. It's the grandchild of the L-series so there is the heritage factor for me.