Full vs club rego

Hardman

Hey all, couldn't find anything covering this but just transferred full rego over into my name after my recent purchase.

Rego runs out in Feb and Considering I'll probably only use the car on the weekends and special occasions when I can get away from the 4 kids I'm contemplating going club reg.

Full rego in Vic is close to $900 and 120 days driven club rego is about $150. Can anyone suggest why I would keep it full rego that I can't think of because to me it seems like a no brainer, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Victorian club rego is a max of 90 days not 120, to go onto club plates you need to join a club that has vic roads approval for the red plate scheme, you will also need a current RWC , not all clubs are approved to be apart of the red plate scheme.

On 11/27/2018 at 1:13 AM, Linton said:

Victorian club rego is a max of 90 days not 120, to go onto club plates you need to join a club that has vic roads approval for the red plate scheme, you will also need a current RWC , not all clubs are approved to be apart of the red plate scheme.

Thanks Linton. 

Was going to join the NDSOC club I guess. Being based in Melbourne near Cheltenham I'm open to suggestions of anything else. Just transferred rego yesterday so have a current valid rwc. Do you know if NDSOC is approved?

There are a heap of clubs that will provide the necessary forms and paperwork for around a once off $50 and yearly membership cost, without you actually having to attend to meetings or event. I done just that after google searching club permit victoria. 

Hey Ben,

NDSOC is definitely part of the Club Permit Scheme. NDSOC expects a certain amount of involvement from it's members as it does hold, run & participates in a lot of events. Which is great if that is what you are after. 

But Retro Z said, they are quite a few clubs who do not require that level of participation, you just have to google & contact them.  There's a list on the VICROADs website: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/limited-use-permits/club-permit-scheme/car-clubs-and-associations

Also, another topic below:

I've also found that some clubs charge into the hundreds of dollars for memberships when I was looking into this same thing a while back.

I still haven't had the need to go the club reg path just yet.

But I'm very interested to hear how you went and which club you joined.

Good luck.

Ben

In NSW you have to be careful of any modifications to the car. If you and the club are confident of it originality then it is OK for historic plates. (Regular rego probably has not necessarily approved modifications either). 

Cars that are modified beyond small limits require engineering approvals which are an added impost and end up with Modified rego here which has same benefits.

However when buying a car, you should be aware if modification have the proper approval or factor in getting the approvals.