[NSW] 28/11 to 01/12 - Challenge Bathurst Discussions

24 Dat

On 12/1/2019 at 6:49 PM, C.A.F. said:

I had a mixed Sunday battling and ignition issue which turned out to be a faulty coil pack, and my fuelling issue entering the chase cause the car to stumble all the way down to Murray's.

In the end I put the car on the trailer after 2 laps in the final session.

however it was a great event and a huge thanks must go to the challenge Bathurst team, the officials, and Dave Robertson for all his hard work!

Sent you a pm re your fuel issues. 

20 minutes ago, C.A.F. said:

Thanks Roger - reply incoming.

What happened to you Richard? We didn't see you or the new Z there? We did however see you were nominated for a 1:59.9 lap time :o

Long story.

I had no idea what lap times with the 350Z would be, the previous owner did a 2:34 last year on slicks but I was running 200 tread wear tyres, 275's on 10" wheels. It really needs 12" but too wide for the trailer.

Mick Reynolds from MTR images who was there taking photos of the Festival of Z has now uploaded his images to his website https://www.mtrimages.com/f244709590?fbclid=IwAR3-LWXelAqmXOzIrG3S-_h80lNlY5UciGQYVZ8JeRdodDsNuis-H8m-VRw Mick has truly captured the event and the days leading up to it, i highly recommend looking through the galleries as you never knew he was around most of the time and has got some great shots. 10/10

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ScottyD said:

I thought the weekend was all about Regularity not who’s the fastest.

Gordo got the Trophy he Wins.

Only old Datsun weird beards would celebrate how regular they are! :D

2 hours ago, gav240z said:

Only old Datsun weird beards would celebrate how regular they are! :D

Nice quote Gav. I like it.

Richard, for such an avid poster of this Challenge Bathurst thread, I would have thought you might have told your CB19 story by now. We’re all waiting with baited breath  

youre right though, some very quick lap times right from the practice session. 

12 hours ago, ScottyD said:

I thought the weekend was all about Regularity not who’s the fastest.

Gordo got the Trophy he Wins.

In practice there are two streams of competition, those who want to do regular timed laps and those who want to see how fast they can lap the best circuit in the world. For me regularity can be done on any circuit but Challenge Bathurst is unique, it's a unique challenge for both car and driver on a uniquely challenging circuit. 

2 hours ago, PeterAllen said:

Funny you should make that comment. I was just talking to my gastroenterologist the other day and he explained exactly why we were called ‘old farts’.

Not all of us are old farts! Haha

4 minutes ago, 260DET said:

In practice there are two streams of competition, those who want to do regular timed laps and those who want to see how fast they can lap the best circuit in the world. For me regularity can be done on any circuit but Challenge Bathurst is unique, it's a unique challenge for both car and driver on a uniquely challenging circuit. 

I would say most were pushing for their fastest times, but also respecting the mountain. And only small few were probably capable to break out of the minimum time. But if they want to go faster without getting black flagged, the super sprints on the Thursday & Friday would be the better option. 

8 hours ago, Cozza said:

Nice quote Gav. I like it.

Richard, for such an avid poster of this Challenge Bathurst thread, I would have thought you might have told your CB19 story by now. We’re all waiting with baited breath  

youre right though, some very quick lap times right from the practice session. 

Only negatives to report so they are not going to be reported. Good news is that there may be two Z's to choose from next year. Below is a video of the fastest Z lap of the series, still has a L engine, running slicks which I would not do. You S30 punters should be rapt.

On 12/14/2019 at 5:58 AM, 260DET said:

running slicks which I would not do

Why not???

Once you go bald you never go back.... :D

If the rules allow it I would run slicks every time, mindful of course that you need to set the car up for them.

The extra grip compared to any "R" spec treaded tyre is awesome. Only downside is that for radials, when they let go, they let go quickly and can be pretty hard to catch.

And find the right sources, they are cheap.....

12 hours ago, PZG302 said:

Why not???

Once you go bald you never go back.... :D

If the rules allow it I would run slicks every time, mindful of course that you need to set the car up for them.

The extra grip compared to any "R" spec treaded tyre is awesome. Only downside is that for radials, when they let go, they let go quickly and can be pretty hard to catch.

And find the right sources, they are cheap.....

Bathurst to me is more about the experience rather than setting killer lap times, at Lakeside I could do that because sprints were on regularly so plenty of lap and tune time. It's a pity that Challenge Bathurst is not on more regularly so the same approach could be taken. A year is way too long  :-\

Slicks are more consistent than R spec and better grip and consequently when set up a car is easier to drive faster than on treaded tyres.

When they do let go it is at a much higher threshold than treaded tyres, except for maybe the Hoosier cheater tyres.

Each to their own, but for me, if the category/class allows for slicks, then that's the way I would go.

4 hours ago, PZG302 said:

Slicks are more consistent than R spec and better grip and consequently when set up a car is easier to drive faster than on treaded tyres.

When they do let go it is at a much higher threshold than treaded tyres, except for maybe the Hoosier cheater tyres.

Each to their own, but for me, if the category/class allows for slicks, then that's the way I would go.

Too many close walls at Bathurst to explore grip limits, particularly with tyres that let go without warning. Talking about us occasional drive amateurs who also don't have a set of rain tyres.

• gav240z unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

Hi All, i hope you are keep well,, safe and trying to stay positive in these uncertain times,

Here is a link to the the video from Mick Reynolds from MTR images who the ZCCQ commissioned to take videos and still photographs for the Festival of Z and Challenge Bathurst. Group Z

As the CB organisers had other photographer taking stills of all of the Regularity runs, Mick as restricted as to the on track competition photographs  but he has captured the event really well,  please Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsMzlHmmOg4&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0g3OPsYmdtHrtTjrDZuEoiu_d4YNl8mlHp40GkTlQpO-l7uURu0pUiBxM 

• 7 months later...
On 3/29/2020 at 9:22 AM, 24 Dat said:

Hi All, i hope you are keep well,, safe and trying to stay positive in these uncertain times,

Here is a link to the the video from Mick Reynolds from MTR images who the ZCCQ commissioned to take videos and still photographs for the Festival of Z and Challenge Bathurst. Group Z

As the CB organisers had other photographer taking stills of all of the Regularity runs, Mick as restricted as to the on track competition photographs  but he has captured the event really well,  please Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsMzlHmmOg4&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0g3OPsYmdtHrtTjrDZuEoiu_d4YNl8mlHp40GkTlQpO-l7uURu0pUiBxM 

Just a bump on this event from last year 

Wow 12 months ago quite a few of us were getting ready for the Festival. Hasn't life changed for all of us in those 12 months 

Here is also a link to Micks photos of the event  https://www.mtrimages.com/f244709590 and the link above is to the video 

Best of luck for all those heading to Challenge Bathurst this year and i hope you all have a safe and fun trip