Wags’ 240z nut and bolt restoration

Wags

These are really fiddly to rebuild...
First they need to be carefully disassembled and the hardware bagged,
then the housings get HydraJet Blasted to give them a nice uniform finish for the plating.
Once the plating is complete, they are reassembled being careful not to break anything. 

Jon's lamp switch was also seized, so some careful cleaning was required.
Jon also bought a new lense and LED globe for his lamp - what a difference! 

New grommet: 

wR3kFnm-qSV2uEtBtjFXEHJ5XePK5oBnxEVeARaN

Old Globe:
mflvDhNKmzIeDPVe-BO8qgOqcBagDgUtzfORIS5D 

New LED globe:
JpckZwXOHKMhr1WiEz7RXdwQ5xFzLxfYjiAoGtdO 

AT3y9AnzLFfo0xTf5wTvT_hrmeuBMNgEkSXDt3am 

16 hours ago, C.A.F. said:

These are really fiddly to rebuild...
First they need to be carefully disassembled and the hardware bagged,
then the housings get HydraJet Blasted to give them a nice uniform finish for the plating.
Once the plating is complete, they are reassembled being careful not to break anything. 

Jon's lamp switch was also seized, so some careful cleaning was required.
Jon also bought a new lense and LED globe for his lamp - what a difference! 

New grommet: 

wR3kFnm-qSV2uEtBtjFXEHJ5XePK5oBnxEVeARaN

Old Globe:
mflvDhNKmzIeDPVe-BO8qgOqcBagDgUtzfORIS5D 

New LED globe:
JpckZwXOHKMhr1WiEz7RXdwQ5xFzLxfYjiAoGtdO 

AT3y9AnzLFfo0xTf5wTvT_hrmeuBMNgEkSXDt3am 

Great job that man! 

it was tough to find that new lens, but I couldn’t have everything (and every bit of plastic) in the engine bay shiney white and new and then have an old yellowed lens.

Gav, did you buy a new switch or did you get a working one from an existing light? I could only find a push button type of this size and while it would suffice, would prefer to replace with a toggle if I can locate one. If new, can you advise where you sourced it from.

Jon, like the idea of an led light to replace the old one. Was this off the shelf and if so who was the supplier. 

Thanks

Paul

• Administrators

Hi Paul,

I found a switch on eBay. A member here sent me a link to it.

Can't recall who the seller was now though.

I got a brand new one myself off eBay, as the plastic toggle on mine had very long ago deteriorated and broken. But that would have been maybe 4 years or more ago. As an interim, for many years I had fitted a generic compact push button switch such as used on bedside reading lamps.

As for the lenses, they were available at one time too but I missed out. Instead I carefully polished mine up to remove any yellowing and it looks just fine.

Thanks Gav, will chase up and see if there is anything up there. Yes, Gilltech the push button switch is what I have repaired mine with at the moment - got it from Jaycar, but am hoping to get something more authentic. I'll see if my lens will polish up if I can't locate the LED one. Thanks for the feedback guys. 

The fuel supply had me scratching my head for a bit... 

Les Collins stipulated a rollercell Pierburg 'pusher' pump with a prefilter.
Problem is there ain't mushroom in front of the fuel tank, so the system had to be compact yet easy to get to.
Another consideration is NVH - even though the rollercell is quiet for an electric fuel pump, it still makes noise so insulating it from the rest of the car must be taken into account.

Two M6x20 machine feet were used & these screw into the factory captive nuts in the rear crossmember in front of the fuel tank.
Then a folded up piece of 2.5mm thick Aluminum was bolted to the feet.
The pump had to be mounted securely, so I procured a suitable Raceworks billet pump mount and mounted that to the plate with a strip of rubber to insulate it further. 

Problem: The Pierburg has a 12.5mm intake - WTF?! Pressure side is 8mm...
I looked online and spoke to my local auto parts retailer(s) to try and locate an off the shelf filter with an 8mm inlet and 12.5mm (1/2") outlet, but other than an obscure Kawasaki motorcycle filter that I couldn't easily get, we came up with nothing.
Trying to screw together brass or AN fittings to form a right angle adaptor wasn't going to work as it's make the assembly huge and ugly, which was something I was determined to avoid.

Until I looked at the brake line - bingo!
I had some 8mm Bundy hard line so I cut a short section, gently flared it, then carefully bent it into a right angle.
I then cut the barb off a 1/2" hydraulic hosetail fitting, then silver soldered it onto the end of the little piece of tube,
then I sent it off for black passivating. 
This would now allow a common Z92 filter to be used and it kept the whole arrangement nice and compact.

Next a simple P-clip holds the Z92 filer in place.
And that's it - totally unnecessary amount of effort but it makes for a pump and filter assembly that is simple, compact, has low NVH (hopefully!) and is easily serviced.

w1CwJJyVTWvJTmOu_2LawAK28E_pOW1C54FwLa0Y 

D50MrbaDx26PGkdATdadXO9GDFYBfLdSj01TApuJ

XQXohXlU-sXkglZMzbjh9vBseLvaiKCoqwFPM41g 

Edited by C.A.F.

Another issue we came across was cooling - the standard Nylon fan hit the longer (taller?) ATI Harmonic Balancer...
Second option was to use a Thermo fan, but I have a dislike of Thermo fans and implementing their fitment is often unsightly.
I wanted to make the original fan work...

So I had my mate Joel - a gun Fitter and Turner - machine me up a 20mm thick Alum. spacer that spigots on the nose of the WP and into the end of the clutch fan hub.
Longer 6mm studs and bingo - room to spare and no unsightly Thermo fan!
Looks even better with the new OEM Nylon fan...!

tY_Xx0p0j8fMhZa7rkCbkITFy71r1s6yzW08tOmF 

Edited by C.A.F.

On 5/17/2021 at 9:47 PM, gav240z said:

Thanks Gav. That is a great site - my dream is to be as organised as that guy!

Think I will go the mini chrome toggle switch route as he did - haven't been able to find anything plastic except the push button one I have. Should be close to authentic anyway. Cheers Paul 

13 hours ago, PET240 said:

What a great read.......

So want to send mine to CAF for some lovin, need too sure my wife would like the bill.....

Love the effort gents....

I wouldn’t dream of sending it anywhere else. Between the teams of LCR and CAF you can’t lose.

Edited by Wags

• 2 weeks later...

It's been an exhausting day...

Jon's Z needed an exhaust, but I HATE the quality of most exhaust shops (and all my two local exhaust shops refuse to do work for me because they can't/don't want to do work to my standard. They are however happy to supply me exhaust parts.)
So I decided to make the exhaust myself: 2.5inch S/S mandrel bent, straight through hotdog into an centre offset rear muffler.

I can't wait to hear it!

s2F_vi_DJ-iWmdF_dSOx2T16wfrYz9RGG8qMR-A9

6cVdkI_5P4JeIgEXKScT-1yFr77EUTzP--3NWrZe

mjilGO4XRC1zV4Y2Ygn1ma1IuCwcOhto234sQJk9

GbIPzfLIxluDdNmYFx8y_RuY-aOq96EmrXdKdoT_

CpXMJKN3ej22JhA17tn0kl09o0-4KHZhsw29jxMK

bDCoHBlSInpL6ZV6jMeq_5VwA0JYszwb_YktatRJ

weul-6Dua7srD3nsOlLBwTtT6Hqfr_TydFIOSNQz

wYKxQas-nRl-aT0ROj9M6OktXRD3583ulgTJWvdu