400z is Coming, apparently

JDM-TOY

Well if the current info is correct, and it seems like it is, I think that it's a great looking car with plenty of S30 design cues, some quite subtle. Anyway, who here is/was ready to buy one in the near future? The chassis is supposed to be one all ready in production, some Infinity thing, so it should be sorted from the go. 

Only thing that annoys me, and it's typical of Nissan, is the small 3 litre motor when they could have used a larger displacement with lower boost. Nissan really do not want to compete performance wise at the higher end and this costs them. They don't seem to understand that one of the reasons for the success of the S30 was it's high end competitive engine. As for V6's, pfffft.

On 9/11/2020 at 10:42 AM, datsunrally said:

Looks better than the new Supra :)

I agree the supra is just another BMW Z4. Time will tell and now apparently the 400Z has been delayed till 2023 (who knows whats going on at Nissan). Hopefully my car will be finished by then at the rate its going haha

New prototype looks a bit like a 370z with some S30 design cues on paper, but not quite sure about it yet- doesn't look quite right to me.

Edit: After seeing the other video below, I partially retract this. It only looks not quite right in some angles.

Edited by brent012

21 minutes ago, OdinZ said:

I think they have done quite well! Not sure about the front grill. I also think the 300zx inspired rear tail lights will need to grow on me.

The katana blade & roof line is awesome

Agree here's some shots side profile is great 

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (7).png

I like that it has the roof pillar badges in the same place as the original and the Z logo looks identical.

If I heard correctly, the engine is a 3 litre twin turbo, and I assume that it's a V6.

Edited by GongZ

I really like it.  Taken elements of the entire Z history and packaged them up into something else.  Longer and wider than 370z.  Hopefully they get the powertrain and handling to be where they need to be as well.  It is always going to be tough standing out in a market where there are already so many reasonably priced high performance cars - completely different to when the original Z came out.  Only have to look at the Kia Stinger GT as an example of what I'm talking about.  Hell even the i30N is a hell of a drive.  The unicorn factor of a reasonably priced sports car that is not massively far off the performance of the top European marques is no longer there, which was a massive part of how the Z earned its stripes.  And I definitely don't envy the task of designers who have to try and come up with something distinctive without completely ignoring trends etc for fear of designing a Homer that no one wants to buy.  Given those factors I'm happy with what Nissan came up with.  They're never going to please everyone but I am glad there is clear thought, and a touch of nostalgia, that has gone into this

37 minutes ago, andyk_79 said:

I really like it.  Taken elements of the entire Z history and packaged them up into something else.  Longer and wider than 370z.  Hopefully they get the powertrain and handling to be where they need to be as well.  It is always going to be tough standing out in a market where there are already so many reasonably priced high performance cars - completely different to when the original Z came out.  Only have to look at the Kia Stinger GT as an example of what I'm talking about.  Hell even the i30N is a hell of a drive.  The unicorn factor of a reasonably priced sports car that is not massively far off the performance of the top European marques is no longer there, which was a massive part of how the Z earned its stripes.  And I definitely don't envy the task of designers who have to try and come up with something distinctive without completely ignoring trends etc for fear of designing a Homer that no one wants to buy.  Given those factors I'm happy with what Nissan came up with.  They're never going to please everyone but I am glad there is clear thought, and a touch of nostalgia, that has gone into this

Engine is a twin turbo V6 with a 6-speed manual.

3 minutes ago, 24 Dat said:

Wow check the height of the roof and front of the nose height between the 2 and then the length compared to the 240Z, the extra length of the new Z works  O0

Yeah, I think they have done a good job with it. one of the things I took from the reveal was that it had to have a lower center of gravity.

Fun fact: the reveal date in the US was 15th of Sept, Mr K's Birthday. 

I loved the reveal and the discussion they had with the car. I agree with Andy, the designers really captured the previous generations with the Z.  It's really good to see a new vehicle that has that has distinctive designs from previous models .

Few points which I feel is a little odd about the 400 Z proto.

The front bumper dam area is very square, but I feel Nissan has done this as a place holder for now.
I feel there is too much car door? By that I mean that the height of the door panel/ front fender still seem a bit chunky, however this design would be from the 370z.
It would have been nice to see a circular cluster dash.

Did a quick Photoshop hack job with wats!

nissan-z-proto-wats.jpg

Edited by DattoZ

So funny, I posted the video link up and then forgot to watch it till now and I had like 30 inbox emails loll.

Im quite surprised at the new look of the 400z. I quite like it and I think as time goes on it will grow on me more. I would love to see how long the car really is compared to the 370z (the longer the better in my opinion). Would be a nice surprise if it comes with a Datsun badge option (or other retro options) instead of the Nissan from dealer. 

Definitely love the yellow, hopefully we get a nice orange too. 

Lets see what this bad boy will be priced at....

OH Yeah, one cup holder

Edited by JDM-TOY