Early Girl differences

curtis 240z

A mate and I were having a chat this morning who also owns a few early cars and after restoring a couple we've noticed many differences between the early cars and later model 240z's. We thought that it might be an idea to start a topic since there are a few being restored now.

Differences we've noted so far:

- radiator support top
- Brackets that are welded onto the inner guard to support the guard
- rear hatch lock down panel is split in two
- Ashtray lid handle
- Wire tabs in the engine bay and in the cabin
- Air vent in the fascia
- Map light cover
- Metal radiator fan
- E31 engine head
- Door hinges
- Rear hatch
- Gearbox
- Diff position
- Speedo
- Metal exterior badges
- Rear tail lights 
- Seats
- Centre console with hand choke and throttle
- steering wheel
- 4 screw carbies instead of three

- some have an e31 block others have a p30
-fender mirrors

that's what i've remembered so far, if we can ad to the list to get an idea on whats different with these cars.

• Administrators

This thread could get long...there is a lot of differences.

Door trims on early girls have 2 additional screws at the bottom (you can just see it here near the pull handle - to the right), photo is from HS30 00084.

When I saw these in HS30 00150 I thought someone had installed them - because the trims sag a bit at the bottom. However I've seen it in a few early cars now. So they must be OEM.

post-15177-14150819581659.jpg

• Administrators

Very early AU market cars had the 2400 OHC valve cover.

Photos of HS30 00084

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyBD2yqJQHZGJGbN6

Hand throttle fitted to 70/71 models.

71A gearbox (rifle bolt action with Porsche style borg warner synchro mesh).

Nikki fuel pump.

Early SU's have 3 screw domes not 4 (you've got it backwards)

20 mph speedo (doesn't start at 0)

Early gauge type face and delimiters are different to later gauges (type face is larger) and more delimiters (I prefer the earlier style myself).

Some early Hitachi TM-1081ZB(S) radio's have a red light (haven't confirmed if this is TM-1081ZBA(S))

Apparently the vinyl pattern is different on early cars (diamond style).

Early Antenna's have the arrow tip (acorn tip) - not sure when they changed to a square tip.

Early master cylinders are different, along with the reservoir caps!

No storage bins (different tool compartment behind rear seats).

Different colour options on early cars, some colours got phased out (Safari Gold) / 907 Green / 903 Blue / 905 Red etc.. 

I have one to add.

It relates to the brake and clutch pedals and the attachment to the brake and clutch arms to them. A clevis pin provides the attachment, the early production run clevis pins where locked in position by a split pin with the later versions having a lock clip followed in the last run by a snap pin. 

Cheers

Steve     

• Administrators

When we talk about "early girl" differences, where is the cut off point? Cars made in 1969 are different again in many ways... Grey heater panel, sold "Z" in 240z 1/4 badges (not white), difference in bonnet frame, lots of other subtle cues too.. The kind of stuff that Kats on Classizcars.com has pointed out many times.

We'll stay on topic, Series 1 Aus delivered cars. It wouldn't hurt to point out the differences on the series 2 cars as well as there seems to be a cross over point with them to. Good to see everyone is learning a thing or two bout them and cracker is correct the early aus delivered cars (series 1 & 2) came out with the four screw carbies.

Fantastic thread Curtis, such a great idea to have this info up in front of our eyes.    We all spend so much time discussing and speculating on what changed and when that having a fresh thread to follow and contribute to is tops, why haven't any of us "experts" thought of it?  Ha ha. 

What if there was an informal local identifier of what we might call "Series one" cars being the first shipment that were rushed to market after being over ordered after release.  Then perhaps, series two being between #500 and 1500 having hand throttle with choke. Something like that, suggestions please. 

Great thread and look forward to reading any info people have to add, however big or small and don't worry if your not sure just put it up for discussion.

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, curtis 240z said:

We'll stay on topic, Series 1 Aus delivered cars. It wouldn't hurt to point out the differences on the series 2 cars as well as there seems to be a cross over point with them to. Good to see everyone is learning a thing or two bout them and cracker is correct the early aus delivered cars (series 1 & 2) came out with the four screw carbies.

For starters I would refrain from using "series 1" nomenclature since that's a very US centric view of things and there is no such mention of series 1, 2, 3 in factory literature. Instead it was an evolution process where certain changes were made during certain months and often indicated by VIN # and changed / jumps in number sequence.

Perhaps the best place to see where all these changes occurred are with service bulletins and the HS30 parts manual which details date/month changes.

However that thread is locked down to donating members at this stage.

Even so the parts manual doesn't cover everything, for example we have seen that early AU market cars had different fender mirrors (unique to our market) - which don't have their part no's listed in the manual (only the bullet style ones appear). I also think things like the screws in the door trim are omitted.

Here is another Easter Egg, early 240z seats had a plastic guard on them that is often missing deteriorated by now. Will see if I can dig up a photo.

• Administrators

Thanks Curtis, that plastic guard is the 1 I'm referring to.

Yes that's the parts manual, I have a hard copy (sometimes easier to use) and PDF copy which is shared in that thread.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, curtis 240z said:

Another thing is they had plastic hooks on the side of the seats aswell.

My 71 has those, I like them. Better than fishing for seat belts. :)

• Administrators

Early Jeco clocks have all metal gears. Later ones had plastic gears. Which seem more relisble based on my limited experience.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, rajon1972 said:

" D " hubcaps, 4.5" Topies..

Yep and there is 2 versions of "D" caps. The early and late.

Early has less fingers on the rear and the valve hole is aligned with the spokes.

Early style

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeT5VT9mlwNGWUrq6SX6W

Later style.

dcapallnew.jpg

• Administrators

Early L24 cranks had harmonic issues.

However I believe only HS30 00004 was likely to have been impacted by this, as I believe (and I'll need to dig out the information) that it was 2 engine numbers into the change or before the change to the crankshaft counterweight design etc..

• Administrators

Undertray is often missing, but early ones were solid. Later ones had holes in the rear (circular) cut outs.

Here is an earlier style solid version.