Cars For Sale (3rd Party Sites) Ebay, Carsales etc..

gav240z

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm new here. This is my first post. Sorry if come across that way!

My son and I recently (Dec 21) won a grays online auction (Adelaide) for a 1977 260Z 2+2 that is partially restored. We bought it only based on the photos and short decription as we are in Sydney, so this could end up being a massive mistake or a gold mine. We will see. I came here expecting to find this thread may have some details on it (since it appears to have made brief appearances on Gumtree and Grays), but could not find anything. Car is currently in transport to Sydney. 

It seems people here know a lot about any S30s of note in Australia. This car appears to have quite a bit done to it... but I have been unable to find any history of it googling around in forums etc..... so perhaps the previous owner was not much for online discussion. I wonder if anyone knows anything about this car. I am just looking for history and perhaps to find out the spec of drivetrain etc. The body has had a rotisserie restore of the body and is currently painted yellow. The drivetrain claims to include a L26 built for turbo (including Holset 35/40) by Milton engineering and the transmission appears to be some sort of drag sequential box going by the photo of the shifter.

The drivetrain direction of the previous owner is not really the direction we want to go, but it would be good to find out what it is and see if we can use it or work out how to sell it on. We are more after a nice looking/sounding street car that is fun to drive but not a powerhouse. 

Anyway, appreciate any help if anyone knows about this car!

Cheers! 

• Administrators

Hi,

I seem to recall a yellow 2+2 at auction a few months back. In pieces and seem like it may have been missing a few things?

I can't find the post yet, but I'll try look again later. I believe there was discussion about it on a Facebook group also.

Thanks @gav240z!

That is the car!

The car appears (from photos in the link you provide) to have good body condition and the interior appears to be good and complete. The engine bay is basically stripped except for the engine mounted. There are several tubs of parts that we are hoping contain any missing bits, but it is a bit like one of those american auction shows. We may end up with a car with lots of valuable bits or we may end up with some tubs full of rubbish. We took a risk in the purchase with minimal information or inspection, but I think we got a good price, so even if it is just a clean shell, we should do OK. Of course good price is relative these days. I would not have payed near what we payed for this 5 years ago!!

My experience is Subarus mostly (I have a highly modified GC8 WRX that is pretty quick that I pretty much built myself) though I used to work in the industry (aftermarket engine management) so have worked on many Nissan/Datsuns in my time. It will be a learning experience! I've always loved the Z, and my son loves them even more, so will be a great project to do together. At the moment we are just trying to take stock of what we have and work out which direction to go. That is why I was was trying to find out some car history so we can avoid any surprises later. 

Thanks for your help!

• Administrators

I don't know much about the car, but I recall someone saying it was proceeds of crime or involved in the early 2000s Melbourne gangland shootings. I don't know how true this is?

Aside from that I really don't have much history on it, I have become a self anointed 240z history guru it seems but I never intended to do the work I've done with the registry for them. I find keeping track of 240z's has kept me busy enough, that I'm hoping someone else will do the work on 260z's 2 seater (RS30) and 2+2 (GRS30)s, but so far no hands have been raised. :). So I'm afraid my records of 260z's are non-existent.

Perhaps I'll change my mind in time?

Either way re: your 2+2, it's a project and I hope it works out for you. The community is happy to help so feel free to start a build thread and ask away.

Thanks for that!

We will see what the mystery prize box provides!

We are not too fussed on making it factory original. We want it to capture the JDM modded S30 era style externally, but drivetrain will probably be RB based (NA with some nice induction noise), and we may modernise aspects of the interior. Our skills are mostly mechanical and electrical. If we can avoid rust repair and panel beating, that would be great! I will start a build thread once we take stock of things.

Cheers!

I'm no expert on the older pre injection Nissan/Datsun stuff. My GC8 WRX is around 500hp with a big turbo on E85 (does high 10s), so we have a big power car. The S30 would be more about being a nice looking retro JDM sports car with a nice NA 6 sound but bringing the tech of fuel injection and twin cam multi valve heads etc, so it can rev to 7500-8000. Enough power to be comfortably quick without the need to be a power house like my WRX. And hopefully reliability to cold start nicely and run well in all conditions with low maintenence. I see it as taking the appealing traits of the original drivetrain and modernising it while maintaining the feel. We have not done much research yet... but we find the idea of RB30 bottom end with RB25 heads and ITBs appealing. But there may be challenges with that approach that we have not found out yet. 

If I didn't have another car with big turbo power.... something of the L28 turbo variety would have lots of appeal!

22 hours ago, vosadrian said:

We have not done much research yet... but we find the idea of RB30 bottom end with RB25 heads and ITBs appealing. But there may be challenges with that approach that we have not found out yet. 

Fits well, looks good and goes hard. Plenty of parts here and in the US to make it easy. Enjoy the build.

626086AB-59F6-4CF7-9549-4209254AED58.png

2165B9BC-D243-48D1-8788-40AF1E95C331.png

On 12/16/2021 at 12:07 PM, ObsidianSpires said:

hey guys im looking for a rolling shell to do a resto on minimal rust would be awesome interior isn't needed just trying to see whats out there any links

Hi, I have an early (RS30-0008**) 260Z 2 seater with very minimal rust that I might consider selling if the right offer came along. It's just a roller with not much interior (seats & dash only). Location is in Forster NSW. What sort of $$$ where you looking at spending? 

Edited by 240ZR

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/howard-springs/cars-vans-utes/datsun-26z-2-2/1290296300

datsun 26Z 2 2
$5,000
Seller's Description

Very complete 1974 260Z, factory black, auto, aircon, factory vented bonnet (seen better days) have the vents which are in good nick, missing carbs and intake.

original engine turns over by hand, oils is clean. Auto oil is clean and selects well.

Car is definantly a project, rust in fire wall and both floors, body is in good nick and suprisingly straight, front guards and doors rust free, 1 piece nose cone is straight and crack free, period 15' alloys

Car is in Darwin, NT

s-l800.webp

s-l800.webp

s-l800.webp

s-l800.webp

• Administrators

260z 2+2

Starting bid:
AU $39,000.00

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/194829364564

s-l1600.jpg

1974 Datsun 260z 2+2 Coupe

AMAZING WORKED JDM CLASSIC COUPE

* LOW STARTING BID AUCTION

* Selling on behalf of  good friend who has owned this car for close to 10 years 

* Matching numbers Jap JDM classic 

* A lot of time and money has gone into this 260z

* Comes with a folder of paperwork , receipts of upkeep etc over the years 

* Works and upgrades include 

* Engine

- Bored out to 2.7L with high compression flat top pistons

- Reconditioned Head with new valves and valve guides. 

- Crow cams camshaft with refinished rocker arms and new lash pads

- Triple 40DCOE Weber Carburettors and intake manifold

- Ceramic Coated Performance Extractors

- Stainless 2.5" Exhaust

- Electronic Distributor upgrade

- Gearbox reconditioned 

- MSA short shift kit

- Lightened chromoly flywheel

- Exedy clutch

- Diff reconditioned, new universal joints in drive shafts.

- Brakes 
All new 
- master cylinder
- Braided brake lines,
- Slotted and drilled rotors 
- EBC green stuff performance pads

Suspension
All suspension and subframes repainted and rebuilt with;
- Monroe shock absorbers
- Lowered King Springs
- New bushes throughout 
- New Tie rod ends

Wheels
Rare AME 982 3 Piece Wheels (AME is a premium JDM wheels manufactured by Enkei)

• Administrators

Well priced 260z 2 seater.

1975 Datsun 260Z SPORTS Manual Coupe
$55,000

1975 260 z coupe drives very good 15x8 watanabe wheels from japan powersteering has had a light resto around 10 years ago just tex before you call if intrested absolutly in no hurry to sell so no stupid offers

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1290533347

s-l800.webp

s-l800.webp

s-l800.webp

s-l800.webp

s-l800.webp

s-l800.webp

s-l800.webp

s-l800.webp

s-l800.webp