Cars For Sale (3rd Party Sites) Ebay, Carsales etc..

gav240z

• Administrators

Aborted 250 GTO project.

If you'd like help with finishing the 250 GTO project, contact @C.A.R. :D

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/frankston/cars-vans-utes/datsun-240z-project-gto250/1285343498

Datsun 240Z Project GTO250
$25,000

s-l800.webp

s-l800.webp

Hi People,

We have a project for the enthusiastic minded or a job for a parts seller.

This car is a Datsun 240Z. The car is near complete, missing front guards, grille and a few other parts. Health issues have prevented me finishing the project.

The car was being fitted with a custom GTO 250 Ferrari body kit.

Moulds have been made for the kit except for the rear section. Moulds are included. Will explain why in a phone call if interested. The car could be completed as a GTO 250 (Last 2 Photos) or taken back to being a stock 240Z.

I'm open to fair offers. When making fair offers, look up the value of a 240Z steering wheel, 240z (not shitty 260) carbies, a straight bonnet and a few other parts before making stupid offers. Given the car is in pieces, I can sell it as parts if no realistic offers are made.

The suspension on the car has all been done with bushes and typical wear and tear items replaced. Motor had a top end rebuild, bores were fine.

I purchased the car originally as a good runner with a RWC and drove briefly before dismantling.

If you think this could be for you, phone ******** 507 for questions between 8am and 10pm. Outside that, text and I'll call you if I'm up.

Budget 240Z's in RHD (and this is) are very rare. I'm open to fair offers but Sims Metal Scrap value offers will just be politely ignored. If you text or send a one line offer, if you don't get a prompt response, please accept that as a polite refusal.

No need to tell me how much work is needed, I've built several cars and bikes. Nowadays I can really only do motorbikes beacase of arm injuries. Just can't give it up ;) .

Subject to prior sale, I also have a complete kit to convert to manual.

The red Fauxrrari in the last two photos started life as a manual but I had to convert to Auto due to my arm problems so the removed parts are available too.

Yes, I have more photos if you want, send an email address.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, ZED660 said:

Owner is Vince @NEW240- car has been meticulously cared for and serviced at Stewart Wilkins.

20 hours ago, rubberman said:

They were the poor cousin to the 240Z back in the day!

How things have changed, but good to see them start to realize some value now.

On 12/1/2021 at 10:10 PM, rubberman said:

Thank goodness.  I paid top end for an unrestored, one-owner back in Feb.  Looks cheap now.  Will the prices hold once the "band stops playing"?  Hope so.  I think the 240Z is growing in desirability globally with plenty still left to run and people have realised that the early 260Z 2-seaters are a more forgiving "S30" even if they are not truly an S30. 

54 minutes ago, ptZcar said:

Thank goodness.  I paid top end for an unrestored, one-owner back in Feb.  Looks cheap now.  Will the prices hold once the "band stops playing"?  Hope so.  I think the 240Z is growing in desirability globally with plenty still left to run and people have realised that the early 260Z 2-seaters are a more forgiving "S30" even if they are not truly an S30. 

There's always a bit of buyers remorse when you pay decent money, but looking back looks like you got a bargain there Pete.

the early 260Z 2-seaters are a more forgiving "S30" even if they are not truly an S30. 

Correction! The 240Z, 260Z, 280Z, Fairlady, 432 etc etc, both 2-seater and 2+2, are all of the Nissan S30 family.

Others may disagree but my observations over 37yrs of ownership and car club membership are that the 260Z is somewhat better built and more refined in several respects over the 240Z.

To each his own. I like them all. Enjoy your purchase, you should have a lot of fun with it.

Edited by gilltech

To be honest ive had many chances over the years to buy decent 260z 2 seaters for not a lot of money. I was too stubborn and fixated on having the original 240z. Looking back I think I made the wrong choice, I could have been enjoying good condition running car instead of trying to resurrect Lazarus.... 

ahhh hindsight...

On 11/30/2021 at 3:26 PM, gav240z said:

Owner is Vince @NEW240- car has been meticulously cared for and serviced at Stewart Wilkins.

I missed out on his 240Z when it was for sale last year. The 260Z is his wife's car and to console me he said it would be for sale soon, but would be asking $75K. I told him a the time it was out of my price range, now it definitely is.

Prices are certainly on the move!

Another 280ZX

Asking $40,000 neg

Quite a few mods and there is no RWC that comes with sale of the car.

For sale 1981 Nissan 280ZX 2 2 Coupe T-Top Manual with Worked 3 Litre | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Wodonga Area - Wodonga | 1285586225

16 hours ago, road rider said:

Prices are certainly on the move!

Another 280ZX

Asking $40,000 neg

Quite a few mods and there is no RWC that comes with sale of the car.

For sale 1981 Nissan 280ZX 2 2 Coupe T-Top Manual with Worked 3 Litre | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Wodonga Area - Wodonga | 1285586225

I wonder how many buyers have been influenced to buy after reading the seller's (either genuine or bullshit) sob story...

And that car will be very lucky to fetch over $25k, IMO. Every report ever about the 280zx either rubbished them compared to the older 260z (soft, floaty steering and suspension, heavy, slow), or was too polite. I just don't understand the increase in value, apart from perhaps speculators assuming they'll follow early zed values.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, cracker said:

I just don't understand the increase in value, apart from perhaps speculators assuming they'll follow early zed values.

People priced out of earlier cars.. I know a couple of people looking for 1 for precisely that reason.

50 minutes ago, CBR Jeff said:

Tidy 260.

Yep, it certainly looks like they had sunk some cash into it - interested to see they may  have retrofitted the factory aircon panel/evaporator but deleted the vacuum aircon controls - I am looking to go down the same route.

Or maybe just the control panel which then operates a VintageAir system behind the dash.

49 minutes ago, gav240z said:

Difference between fast money and slow money.

Still for a UK spec late model 260z, that's decent coin.

Yes, the collector, not a JDM player, took a punt on this 260Z and would have only made small money on a big risk at auction.  ZShop probably tried to make some cream on Scumtree after sorting the car ?  Investor may have been happy to recoup costs plus change after getting stuffed around by his regular "people" who have no JDM knowledge - then getting car sorted by Zshop.  Just speculation on my part.  :)  If you start with a $40K 260Z 2-seater, you would struggle to get it to this condition for another $40K if you were outsourcing all of the work. Then allow $5K of your time managing the process and you are at $85K.

Looked to be about $37000 spent in Australia guess wouldn't have been cheap when sold in UK add import charges not a lot of cream!

Ad says $45000 spent last 4 years 

Wonder if car sold on consignment? 

Edited by NickF

On 12/9/2021 at 8:53 AM, cracker said:

I wonder how many buyers have been influenced to buy after reading the seller's (either genuine or bullshit) sob story...

And that car will be very lucky to fetch over $25k, IMO. Every report ever about the 280zx either rubbished them compared to the older 260z (soft, floaty steering and suspension, heavy, slow), or was too polite. I just don't understand the increase in value, apart from perhaps speculators assuming they'll follow early zed values.

Nothing wrong with the 280zx, don’t listen to the zx snobs. It’s a very cool car in its own right, much like many sequels, it’s always difficult to live up to the original.

Yes the stock suspension was too soft, yes it’s slightly slower/heavier than the early cars, no it doesn’t look as good as the S30s. But in its own right it is a great car.

They still handle very well with decent tyres, chassis is balanced, It’s far more comfortable in terms of ride/cabin noise than the S30, you have EFI reliability. 

Excellent quality cars are selling in the US for $30-35k AUD according to hagerty valuations. 2 seaters are always worth more, so a fair price for an Australian 2+2 will be between 25-30k. 

when you get 70% of the 240/260z experience for 40% of the price it’s a no brainer for anyone priced out of the S30 market. 

On 12/10/2021 at 12:43 PM, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Nothing wrong with the 280zx, don’t listen to the zx snobs. It’s a very cool car in its own right, much like many sequels, it’s always difficult to live up to the original.

Yes the stock suspension was too soft, yes it’s slightly slower/heavier than the early cars, no it doesn’t look as good as the S30s. But in its own right it is a great car.

They still handle very well with decent tyres, chassis is balanced, It’s far more comfortable in terms of ride/cabin noise than the S30, you have EFI reliability. 

Excellent quality cars are selling in the US for $30-35k AUD according to hagerty valuations. 2 seaters are always worth more, so a fair price for an Australian 2+2 will be between 25-30k. 

when you get 70% of the 240/260z experience for 40% of the price it’s a no brainer for anyone priced out of the S30 market. 

I'd have to agree.

As much as they are not an earlier S30. With some minor tweaks such as aftermarket shocks and springs and lowered a touch, better wheel and tire combo, you will have a better handling car.

A mild cam and headers/exhaust would go down a treat and pick up performance just a bit(if that's your thing!) 

Call me picky. IMO it's more of a resto-mod than a 'restoration', as it's loaded with non-Nissan aftermarket components.

What's with the 260Z door card, minus pull handle. Where's the battery gone? Other bits missing. Is that a 240K steering wheel? And why do people omit the rear bumper anyway? ::) 

Edited by gilltech