Cars For Sale (3rd Party Sites) Ebay, Carsales etc..

gav240z

• Administrators

I don't think it's particularly over priced. Of course I'm biased having a couple of early cars.

But reasons to be bullish on prices of these cars.

1. Early cars are highly coveted and only getting more difficult to obtain.

2. RHD examples are much rarer than LHD cars. Especially early ones.

3. 907 Green is relatively rare.

4. Matching no.s engine available (not many still have matching engines)

5. Labor costs and expertise to restore these cars is going up and getting harder to find over time.

6. Interest rates are 0. Money in the bank is doing nothing. Assets are inflating.

7. Car like this in Japan is basically priced at this level if not more money.

8. C10 Skylines (non GTR) are fetching this sort of money no issues. I love the Skylines also, but the Z is far prettier.

9. Some early parts are getting hard to find now.

10. If you compare Z's with other cars of the same period they are still IMHO undervalued vs other (IMHO inferior models). But that's collector car market for you.

50 minutes ago, mikedoeslife said:

Considering that orange one went for what, $120k at auction? This one at 150 does seem rich... especially when it's rolling on Rotas. No offence to anybody who has them, it's a personal budget choice – but surely you'd get something a little more well regarded if you're looking to sell at a collector's price. 

Just an observation, but many big budget builds do seem to be running "copies" of Watanabes for whatever reason - rotas, performance superlites or panasports (mostly US cars like the OS Giken x Z Car Garage TC24 car, I believe the Green Hornet but even the Brown Hornet over here had panasports).

Edited by brent012

Datsun 240Z   $30,000

Katoomba, Katoomba New South Wales

Datsun 240z 1973 matching numbers, unfinished project has not been started in 15 years needs rust repairs ,paint and put back together also extra parts . will swap for a 260z 2 2 finished and registered

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/medlow-bath/cars-vans-utes/datsun-240z/1271145916

image.png.11f372296ab22a182e1fc8d22820cae4.png

• Administrators

Removed already, think it might be the last chassis no. 240z in the HS30 registry too. Same area and garage photo but a blue guard now fitted.

• Administrators
On 3/18/2021 at 10:39 PM, gav240z said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1971-datsun-240z-manual/SSE-AD-7122646

#409 has come a long way. Car is in the registry already. Asking $150k.

No doubt that will stir a few up.

Appears to have sold? Or on hold at least.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/datsun-240z-1971/sse-ad-7122646/

• Administrators
2 hours ago, minimetoy said:

@mikedoeslifewent to see it.

• Administrators

@curtis 240zhas listed 2 cars for sale.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/byron-bay/cars-vans-utes/1970-1973-240z/1271764064

@curtis 240zdo I have the VIN # for the white car?

I definitely have the red car on record. Used to be @zaxzeds car didn't it?

On 4/3/2021 at 8:58 PM, gav240z said:

@mikedoeslifewent to see it.

Yup. I couldn't do a thorough rust check on my visit, but my brother – a mechanic – noticed some bubbling in the paint on the roof at the passenger side. Other than that, it looked pretty clean to him, but it was only a cursory inspection. 

There's a list of items needed for a roadworthy, but nothing overly dramatic or expensive. I don't think it'd be appropriate to post the specifics here, though. (I paid for the roadworthy check, but I think he should be given the opportunity to share the details with you himself.) 

It drives well and it's quick, has a tuned L28 in it as described in the ad, but the interior needs a lot of work – it wasn't his top priority. 

Is it worth 60k? Given the price being asked and achieved for more finished cars... I'd say it's worth the money if you're up for the project, yeah.

---- 

Me personally, I ended up buying a 944 Turbo a few weeks ago. (I guess this is something of an announcement!)

So, as much as I love the S30, I guess I'm done in terms of becoming an owner, haha. "I couldn't afford a Datsun so I bought a Porsche!" ;D

I'm not a project kinda guy, and in the end I decided that while I can access the money to buy an $80k Z, it's not an 80k car for me. Blasphemy? Probably. And hey, people out there are prepared to pay that money – I'm just not one of them anymore. 

So, short of deciding I do have the energy and time and patience to take on a project, or accepting the less appealing 2+2 shape, or hunting for years for those magical clean examples that miraculously pop up occasionally at $50k, I guess I'm never going to fulfill my dream. :-\

That said, I'm not unhappy. The 944 Turbo was always one of my faves, with its rad boxy guards and '80s vibes. And the one I've bought is stunning. I paid 40k for it, and it's in excellent condition with a great history. Life could be worse! 

A new 2022 Z could be in my future someday though, haha. I don't think I'd be all that unhappy with a used example sometime in the next 5 years! 

Be well guys, and keep treasuring your Zs. Come say g'day if you ever spot my 944T at a classics meet! 

Edited by mikedoeslife

1 hour ago, mikedoeslife said:

Yup. I couldn't do a thorough rust check on my visit, but my brother – a mechanic – noticed some bubbling in the paint on the roof at the passenger side. Other than that, it looked pretty clean to him, but it was only a cursory inspection. 

There's a list of items needed for a roadworthy, but nothing overly dramatic or expensive. I don't think it'd be appropriate to post the specifics here, though. (I paid for the roadworthy check, but I think he should be given the opportunity to share the details with you himself.) 

It drives well and it's quick, has a tuned L28 in it as described in the ad, but the interior needs a lot of work – it wasn't his top priority. 

Is it worth 60k? Given the price being asked and achieved for more finished cars... I'd say it's worth the money if you're up for the project, yeah.

---- 

Me personally, I ended up buying a 944 Turbo a few weeks ago. (I guess this is something of an announcement!)

So, as much as I love the S30, I guess I'm done in terms of becoming an owner, haha. "I couldn't afford a Datsun so I bought a Porsche!" ;D

I'm not a project kinda guy, and in the end I decided that while I can access the money to buy an $80k Z, it's not an 80k car for me. Blasphemy? Probably. And hey, people out there are prepared to pay that money – I'm just not one of them anymore. 

So, short of deciding I do have the energy and time and patience to take on a project, or accepting the less appealing 2+2 shape, or hunting for years for those magical clean examples that miraculously pop up occasionally at $50k, I guess I'm never going to fulfill my dream. :-\

That said, I'm not unhappy. The 944 Turbo was always one of my faves, with its rad boxy guards and '80s vibes. And the one I've bought is stunning. I paid 40k for it, and it's in excellent condition with a great history. Life could be worse! 

A new 2022 Z could be in my future someday though, haha. I don't think I'd be all that unhappy with a used example sometime in the next 5 years! 

Be well guys, and keep treasuring your Zs. Come say g'day if you ever spot my 944T at a classics meet! 

Pics or it didnt happen! haha

"I couldn't afford a Datsun so I bought a Porsche!" this i can relate to on so many levels! :-\

• Administrators

Nice, I drove an NA 944 when a friend purchased 1, I loved it. Minus the power steering it didn't have. I was a bit like Jerry Clarkson in terms of how I felt about it.

And then they fitted flared wheel arches and a new four-cylinder 2.5-litre engine to create the 944. I wanted one of those so much I ached. In fact, if I were to draw up a list of the 10 best cars I've ever driven, the 944 turbo would certainly be included. You can buy them these days for five grand.

The only thing that irks me about them is the fact that my friends 944 had a sunroof you had to get out and remove and tuck away in a back and put in the boot. Where as my friends similar era Honda Prelude had cruise control, sunroof, power windows and a beautiful fuel injected 2.0ltr B20A which felt a lot more rev happy than the 944 4 cylinder. I haven't driven the turbo 944 so perhaps they are different, but the NA version was slower than a wet Monday and the Datsun L6 has a lot more grunt.

Having said that, the build quality of the door closure and the mechanical sounds off the 944 really impressed me and the Porsche engineering is beautiful, but on the flip side the parts bill was steep for spark leads at $400.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oR19HCrRromzZAMQ9

Shamefully my mate crashed it and wrote it off. He still won't tell me what he was doing at the time either.

I also really like some of the more obscure 924/944 models. Like the 924 Carrera GTS Clubsport.

https://silodrome.com/porsche-924-carrera-gts-clubsport/

I think you've purchased at a good price to be honest. I feel the 944's have been underrated for many years in many ways like the 240z/260z's. And in time I feel they will appreciate properly (and already have to some extent). Certainly a better buy than a 912 IMHO.

17 minutes ago, gav240z said:

Nice, I drove an NA 944 when a friend purchased 1, I loved it. Minus the power steering it didn't have. I was a bit like Jerry Clarkson in terms of how I felt about it.

And then they fitted flared wheel arches and a new four-cylinder 2.5-litre engine to create the 944. I wanted one of those so much I ached. In fact, if I were to draw up a list of the 10 best cars I've ever driven, the 944 turbo would certainly be included. You can buy them these days for five grand.

The only thing that irks me about them is the fact that my friends 944 had a sunroof you had to get out and remove and tuck away in a back and put in the boot. Where as my friends similar era Honda Prelude had cruise control, sunroof, power windows and a beautiful fuel injected 2.0ltr B20A which felt a lot more rev happy than the 944 4 cylinder. I haven't driven the turbo 944 so perhaps they are different, but the NA version was slower than a wet Monday and the Datsun L6 has a lot more grunt.

Having said that, the build quality of the door closure and the mechanical sounds off the 944 really impressed me and the Porsche engineering is beautiful, but on the flip side the parts bill was steep for spark leads at $400.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oR19HCrRromzZAMQ9

Shamefully my mate crashed it and wrote it off. He still won't tell me what he was doing at the time either.

I also really like some of the more obscure 924/944 models. Like the 924 Carrera GTS Clubsport.

https://silodrome.com/porsche-924-carrera-gts-clubsport/

I think you've purchased at a good price to be honest. I feel the 944's have been underrated for many years in many ways like the 240z/260z's. And in time I feel they will appreciate properly (and already have to some extent). Certainly a better buy than a 912 IMHO.

I love the 944, my old mans got one sitting at his place. He is going to get it painted and interior restored. Shame its an auto

1 hour ago, AndBir said:

Seems people are looking to catch the wave of high(er) prices :

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gymea/cars-vans-utes/1977-datsun-260z-coupe/1271881319

Is that this car? Seems like it could be a flipper if so as that auction was only a couple of months ago.

I seem to recall another red 260Z with an RB30 changing hands a couple of times over the last ~5 years too. Always seemed to be a decent price (both cars), so I guess it's not a popular swap!

Edited by brent012

57 minutes ago, brent012 said:

Is that this car? Seems like it could be a flipper if so as that auction was only a couple of months ago.

I seem to recall another red 260Z with an RB30 changing hands a couple of times over the last ~5 years too. Always seemed to be a decent price (both cars), so I guess it's not a popular swap!

Yeah, that's my old car and it looks like the seller is looking to make a cheeky 10k profit!

• Administrators

• Administrators
18 hours ago, brent012 said:

Always seemed to be a decent price (both cars), so I guess it's not a popular swap!

If you did a custom valve cover to make it look like a factory LY head. It could be good. Think a few in Japan have done it using RB20DE's because they didn't get the RB30's there.