Cars For Sale (3rd Party Sites) Ebay, Carsales etc..

gav240z

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, smugley said:

Makes some of the asking prices close to six figures look a bit ambitious ! 

I've learnt that you really need to see these cars in person. It may photograph well, but it may have a lot of flaws that show up in person. I personally think it was purchased under valued. I would have thought closer to $50k maybe $55k, but I suspect those who saw it in person could see more work to be done.

1 hour ago, smugley said:

A fairly realistic price for what looks like a original ish 240z . 

Makes some of the asking prices close to six figures look a bit ambitious ! 

Screenshot_2020-07-29-21-57-29-45.png

In my point of view, the price of these vehicles is a tricky balance between enthusiasts, collectors and flippers.
Seeing figures around this price does make more sense financially, for me at least.

Although, the high prices i am seeing currently, has given me the case of FOMO :(.
It does feel that buying a Zed in this age becomes more of an investment, rather then driving it and enjoying it, However, these cars are becoming quite rare, and finding parts are tricky.

Honestly, I slightly feel I missed a good chance with the above auction, but then with what i saved today I could possibly use somewhere else, especially with our economy and welfare around these days.

Going to try to stick to car sales locally, a little bit of peace of mind maybe.

Edited by DattoZ
Silly fool comparing to stock market.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this has all pretty successfully reminded me I won't be getting a two-seat, manual S30 anytime soon, haha. If ever!

I joined these forums years ago when I was a young broke designer. I have a good job these days, earning decent money – but now I also have a mortgage on a fixxer-upper, and two expensive young children (full-time childcare is pricey)! 

Ah well. This is my first post in probably 10 years, who knows when my next will come, hah. 

I've been thinking more and more, lately, that I might have to make do with a 2018 vintage Toyota 86. Not the car of my dreams, but it is at least fun and affordable (I'm a motoring journo, so I've driven 'em all). 

• Administrators

Hey Van,

Did we chat recently over email? I may have emailed re: a motoring journalist job role?

Good to see you back here, but a bit of a shame an S30Z may be out of reach now.

If I couldn't afford an S30Z and wanted a fun car, I reckon it would be an early RX-7 (although getting pricey), an MX-5 (also hard to find under $10k now) or maybe a 370z (prices coming down).

But I've not driven the early RX-7's or the 370z's yet. The MX-5 is a car that reminded me a lot of the 240z in terms of driving position, and feel. I drove an NB Miata in San Francisco across the Golden Gate Bridge, that was a lot of fun.

2 hours ago, van said:

Well, this has all pretty successfully reminded me I won't be getting a two-seat, manual S30 anytime soon, haha. If ever!

I joined these forums years ago when I was a young broke designer. I have a good job these days, earning decent money – but now I also have a mortgage on a fixxer-upper, and two expensive young children (full-time childcare is pricey)! 

Ah well. This is my first post in probably 10 years, who knows when my next will come, hah. 

I've been thinking more and more, lately, that I might have to make do with a 2018 vintage Toyota 86. Not the car of my dreams, but it is at least fun and affordable (I'm a motoring journo, so I've driven 'em all). 

Hang on tight, I was in the same shoes few years back. Almost settled on an 86 and then out from nowhere a '77 260z popped up checking all the right boxes!

Unless you're dead set on matching numbers series one :D

17 hours ago, Kuba said:

Hang on tight, I was in the same shoes few years back. Almost settled on an 86 and then out from nowhere a '77 260z popped up checking all the right boxes!

Unless you're dead set on matching numbers series one :D

Ha, been holding tight for a long time! If I could find the right car for less than $40k, I'd jump on it this very second – but 'the right car' is a manual two-seater, and you just don't see those around for under 40k. Well, not without needing a lot of work – and tbh I don't have the skills or inclination for that, or the budget to have it in and out of workshops. 

19 hours ago, gav240z said:

Hey Van,

Did we chat recently over email? I may have emailed re: a motoring journalist job role?

Good to see you back here, but a bit of a shame an S30Z may be out of reach now.

If I couldn't afford an S30Z and wanted a fun car, I reckon it would be an early RX-7 (although getting pricey), an MX-5 (also hard to find under $10k now) or maybe a 370z (prices coming down).

But I've not driven the early RX-7's or the 370z's yet. The MX-5 is a car that reminded me a lot of the 240z in terms of driving position, and feel. I drove an NB Miata in San Francisco across the Golden Gate Bridge, that was a lot of fun.

Yes mate that was me, how ya trackin'? 

Early RX-7s aren't really my style aesthetically – I don't hate them, but it's just not where my heart is. Likewise the MX-5 – an absolute hoot to drive, but a little too compact for my liking and not really my scene. 

The 370Z was very very high on my list, but there's one thing I can't overcome, and this will sound silly: the tech. In a properly old car, I don't care about tech, but in a more modern car, I do have this weird 'prerequisite' of a modern or at least modifiable infotainment system. You can't install an aftermarket head-unit in the Oz-delivered Z, and I absolutely despise that generation of Nissan's infotainment. 

An upside to the 86 is that it has a standard double-din space, so I can get a nice Carplay-enabled Sony or Pioneer head unit in, and I'd be relatively happy lad. 

But yeah... when I'm not thinking about cars, I'm busy being a gadget nerd, so it's a bigger priority for me than it might be for others, haha. 

Anyway, it's not like I'd ever 'give up' on owning an S30 – it just might have to be later in life when my financial commitments ease up! 

On 8/28/2020 at 1:02 PM, van said:

2018 vintage Toyota 86

. Not the car of my dreams, but it is at least fun and affordable (I'm a motoring journo, so I've driven 'em all). 

I'm in the same boat as well in terms of investing in a 2 seater Zed, but i must agree with the 86/BRZ being such a fun curvy road daily driver. :D

• Administrators

Interesting comments re: the 86 / BRZ. When they were just released @PB260Z had 1 on loan from Toyota with the high spec interior.

I got given the keys to it, and whilst the handling felt nice, the power and motor felt really underwhelming. I recall just as you get to redline things were starting to get a bit exciting but you had to change gears already.

The engine's in them seem to not like much boost, so you really have to do a full motor tear down if planning to go forced induction.

Then for me the styling is just a bit ehh. It's not bad, but it's also a bit ordinary. Of course the aftermarket can help a lot with that in terms of bodykits etc.. so that's good.

But at the time I test drove 1, my FD RX7 was probably valued at $22k.. (5-6 years ago now) and I thought, why would I seek my FD to buy 1 of these?

Even if I'm sure the 86 would handle well, even against an FD (1 of the best handling cars I've driven / owned).

Anyway now FDs start at $60k for a good 1 and it appears you can scrape into the 86 market for $16k. So I guess I made the right choice holding onto the FD.

A few times I thought about trading the FD in for a 370z - just because #rotaryLife has its cons. But I just never quite loved the styling on the 370z enough. The Nismo versions sort of sing to me, but it's hard to justify when you can pick up a regular 1 for almost under $20k now. Nismo spec is like $60k+

Then there is the other factor you mentioned. Becoming a parent, needing more than 2 seats. So if I was gonna spend $60-70k. I'd probably get an R33 GTR or look at R35 GTRs which have dipped into that range now. Since both have modest rear seating.

But back to sports cars, I reckon right now a Z32 2 seater twin turbo is good buying. If you can find a clean car. $20k+ and they have been slowly (and lately more rapidly), appreciating in value.

90s Nissan's are a good balance between simple enough to work on yourself (although Z32 engine bays are a nightmare) and enough tech for modcons.

Plus they all seem to be appreciating ..

In terms of an S30z, I'm guessing 2+2s ain't floating ya boat? They make sense if you have kids..and from the driver seat you can't tell much difference to be honest.

Aaaah but you see, I'm not fussed about power – even the S30 doesn't make much, really, in a modern context. Slow cars are still plenty of fun, if not more so! Plus I have access to powerful cars through work, heh.

And you're absolutely right, the 86 is not a super stylish car in its stock form, but I'd certainly never keep it in its stock form, haha.

Correct, too, that the 2+2 Zs don't do it for me. I can't stand the roofline, and whether I can see it from behind the wheel doesn't matter much; I want to look at it when I'm mowing the lawn and be in love with the sight of it, y'know? 

I actually really like the look of the Z34, it's just the cabin that has become a letdown over time. The infotainment is cruddy, the materials aren't great, the steering wheel is a bit ugly, etc. That isn't something I think about in 30/40/50-year-old cars – but it matters to me in newer cars. It's a curse! I would be a happier guy if I cared less and could overlook these things, haha. 

Now of course, the 86 is underpowered – but I don't care. And yes, it has a cheaper-feeling interior than many alternatives, but it was designed to be that way and I think that makes a difference to me.

Edited by van

On 8/28/2020 at 2:48 PM, gav240z said:

wanted a fun car, I reckon it would be an early RX-7 (although getting pricey), an MX-5 (also hard to find under $10k now) or maybe a 370z (prices coming down).

But I've not driven the early RX-7's or the 370z's yet. 

I had a series 1 RX7 many years ago and it gives me some of the best memories of all the cars I've owned. Very good car all round. Even with standard body and ride height at 200 kmhr it felt really stuck to the road and like doing 60 kmhr. Much nicer ride than my GTR and 240Z. For a mass produced car It really was a leader back in 1979 for its styling and aero

Unfortunately like the 240's getting old and so very hard to get one that's a reasonable driver and doesn't require major investment. Repro parts probably harder to get hold of too.

Edited by GregTas

Yeah, you never know when you are going to find that real bargain. It happened to me a couple of years ago. I bought a 2002 RX7 for $26,000 with a rebuilt engine. Unbelievable. Of course, being the complete idiot I am, sold it three months later for a very slight profit. What is an FD worth now? Haven't seen much under $45,000. 

• Administrators

Jump on Goo Net and have a look at what Fairlady Z's sell for in Japan. Price isn't far off.

In fact as much as I don't love the bloke who imported it (current seller has nothing to do with old mate), I think if the body is solid and given price appreciation of these esp. in Japan it's probably under priced.

Examples..

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/FAIRLADY_Z/700100266930190622001/index.html

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/FAIRLADY_Z/700100266930200723001/index.html

Those are kind of starting points for an ok 2 seater 74+ model in Japan.

This 1 is probably a cut above, but modified with RB engine swap.

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/FAIRLADY_Z/700020034830170127001/index.html

Asking approx. $140k AUD

I keep saying we undervalue them in our market...this is 1 reason why. RHD examples are far less common in a global context.

Jump on Goo Net and have a look at what Fairlady Z's sell for in Japan. Price isn't far off.

In fact as much as I don't love the bloke who imported it (current seller has nothing to do with old mate), I think if the body is solid and given price appreciation of these esp. in Japan it's probably under priced.

Examples..

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/FAIRLADY_Z/700100266930190622001/index.html

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/FAIRLADY_Z/700100266930200723001/index.html

Those are kind of starting points for an ok 2 seater 74+ model in Japan.

This 1 is probably a cut above, but modified with RB engine swap.

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/FAIRLADY_Z/700020034830170127001/index.html

Asking approx. $140k AUD

I keep saying we undervalue them in our market...this is 1 reason why. RHD examples are far less common in a global context.

Good points. Yet try telling that, yet again, to that troll 'Hayden' who was on the forum some weeks back, telling everyone that their Zeds are only old Dattos & overpriced & actually worth next to nothing as they're just not that good (yet still wanting one). And there have been others over recent years who have also been about a decade behind the times.

I think a tastefully modified Z coupe (engine swaps are even fine) should demand as much as the aircooled 911s. 

- It is the car that put Japan on the map and became one of the best selling sports cars of its time

- 1,000 - 1,100kg with an FR layout and they're not underpowered by small 1.6s unlike most other classic japanese cars at that same weight

- They've got the classic sports car look that reminds you of an old Ferrari

- With the existence of Z432s, Z432Rs and the 240ZGs the halo models will undoubtedly carry the rest similar to E30 M3s and R32/R33/R34 GTRs

- They were built to rust lol so naturally alot of them have died out and even project cars are becoming scarce

- It defined Wangan Midnight. Initial D made an old corolla worth a lot haha

Things holding back the price:

- Sheer number of LHD Zs. They just seem so abundant in the states

- Lacking a strong aftermarket support. It would be amazing if we could get the same kind of support older 911s get. 

• Administrators

Thing is there may be a lot of LHD S30z's but since they were as common as Miatas during the 90s. Many just got patched up cheaply. Try find a solid 1 in the US and it's $50k USD plus now.

I think aftermarket and parts support is pretty good for the S30z's. Just some rust repair sections are lacking. But I believe this will change.

In terms of further support like the 911s. What would you like to see?

I feel for performance etc.. we have Kameari in Japan and Les Collins in Australia. But perhaps the Japanese suppliers are a little less accessible due to language barriers?

But it certainly doesn't stop the GTR owners. Apparently Tomei says Australia is the biggest market for GTR parts!

For me the original GTR and S30z were Nissan's first true performance cars and halo cars, and a lot of other popular Nissan's owe their success to the origins of those cars.

Worth hanging onto them if you can.

I have noticed very few coming to market in the last couple of years. Only a few rough as 2+2s and even they are worth $30k+ in Japan these days.

I have noticed very few coming to market in the last couple of years. Only a few rough as 2+2s and even they are worth $30k+ in Japan these days.

Only 21 Datsuns of any sort or model on carsales.com.au currently, just 8 of them being S30s split 50:50 into 2-seaters and 2+2s.

One would think that with numerous sectors of the economy in strife, thanks to the pandemic, that more cars would have already emerged for a fire sale, but not as yet anyway.

1 hour ago, gav240z said:

Thing is there may be a lot of LHD S30z's but since they were as common as Miatas during the 90s. Many just got patched up cheaply. Try find a solid 1 in the US and it's $50k USD plus now.

I think aftermarket and parts support is pretty good for the S30z's. Just some rust repair sections are lacking. But I believe this will change.

In terms of further support like the 911s. What would you like to see?

I feel for performance etc.. we have Kameari in Japan and Les Collins in Australia. But perhaps the Japanese suppliers are a little less accessible due to language barriers?

But it certainly doesn't stop the GTR owners. Apparently Tomei says Australia is the biggest market for GTR parts!

For me the original GTR and S30z were Nissan's first true performance cars and halo cars, and a lot of other popular Nissan's owe their success to the origins of those cars.

Worth hanging onto them if you can.

Pick any part on a 911 and you can either get a reproduction part or uprated component from not just one but several suppliers - you really are spoilt. Even Porsche will supply a lot of parts brand new for you. With Zs I feel like there's only one good supplier for some parts, and for some other parts none at all (any good rear valance or rear quarter panels available haha). Even for off the shelf suspension and brake packages, you only really have two to choose from - arizonazcar and T3. 

I've since sold my old porsche because parts just got too expensive, but it was one of those cars you could get anything for. 

I've actually been living in Tokyo and the US for the past few years, so I'm familiar with car scenes over there, plus visited the shops and museums, but I personally feel like the aftermarket support for Zs isn't where it should be. I used to own 2 early mx5s and tracked them, and parts for those were plentiful. You also had a ton of options when it came to modifying them. But then again ... miata. 

I'm in full support for the Z lol but that's what I think is holding it back. If LHD numbers die off and we get some more aftermarket support, it'll take the Z to the next price level haha. 

I'm in full support for the Z lol but that's what I think is holding it back. If LHD numbers die off and we get some more aftermarket support, it'll take the Z to the next price level haha. 

We can live in hope, at least for the 240Z. But there were so many running changes made by Nissan to the S30 series and particularly so with the 260Z and 280Z models plus variations required by local markets. There's all the LHD vs RHD variations..... not terribly straightforward. To be worth a manufacturer tooling up he'll need to be pretty sure he'd get decent sales volumes.

Edited by gilltech