Incredible, Unstoppable Squealing Noise From New Front Brakes. On 240

just bedding in my new resto and have noticed that the front discs squeal like a godddam pig somewhere in the mid range of pedal pressure.

before you judge me, they discs are new, the calipers reco units from zcardepot. pads, hose also all new

they work perfectly fine, just the damn noise. car's done maybe 50ks on the new gear

so

1. tried sanding the pads slightly, bevelling the edges and using some of that blue benidx grease on the back of the pads. made no difference

2. got a brand new set of pads. same deal, different pitch, same noise, slightly different noise

its not the rears since the application of the h.brake results in silent braking

never heard anything like it ??

Fit a set of Lucas TRW pads.

I'm gonna guess you chose some fancy Bendix pad, that has a high metal content.

You also need to bed them in, well.

Around 10 very hard slowdowns, ( not complete Stops) start from 60kmh, then 80 kmh, on a quite back road, should do.

What pads have you tried in it so far?

I have used some really hard cheap pads and got terrible squealing, then went to some bendix pads that were quiet but braking performance was rubbish and now use race pads that squeal like a pig when cold or driving round the burbs but once you get some heat into them the noise goes away and they pull up great.

Edited by Cozza

It's the shithouse Bendex pads - I refuse to use them on any of my cars.

Bruce (LightmasterZ) had the same problem.

Invest in some Ferodo 'DS Performance' pads - they are perfect for the road.
Ring Competition Friction in NSW: http://www.compfriction.com.au/contactus.php

Quote the Bendex part number & they'll give you the equivalent in Ferodo.

But,,,,

Does he want "race spec" pads that dan be nousy, chew up rotors, kake rims dirty, etc!

Or, some reasonably good road pads, that can handle a little bit of track work, as well as a spirited run up in the Dandy's?

Clearly not. The Ferodo DS Performance pads are a performance road pad.

Otherwise I would have suggested some Ferodo DS3000's, Hawk Blues or Project Mu's!

• 3 weeks later...

here's the update

1. the "old" pads were ferrodos. they have some sort of rubberised coating on them, which of course have been destroyed by the pistons pushing onto the pads

2. the new ones are "no brand" ebay ones

they both squeal, although with a different tone, mostly in  the mid temperature range

3. have used the bendix "blue" brake grease on the back of the pads

so

1. try this stuff ( similar to the CR compound.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/DynaGrip-Disc-Brake-Squeal-Free-118mL/1061

I think its some sort of polymer that dries up to be like high temp silicone

However the reviews are not enouraging at all

2. get some of the original shims ( which I'm missing). Problem is they're not available new from anywhere

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/24-5451

might put a wanted ad in on the forum

if any of the above worked form someone, feedback would be appreciated

3. get his rubberized shims and cut to size

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EBC-Anti-Squeal-Shims-for-DISC-BRAKE-ROTORS-Small-85mm-shim-kit-for-brake-pads/271593834698?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

• 1 year later...

So what are the best standard front pads for a 260z for spirited road use.  The ones I have (Repco) only have slowing power and fade very quickly. Looking for stopping power without expensive upgrade.

5 hours ago, peter t said:

So what are the best standard front pads for a 260z for spirited road use.  The ones I have (Repco) only have slowing power and fade very quickly. Looking for stopping power without expensive upgrade.

Ferodo 'DS Performance'.
I get mine from Comp Friction: http://www.compfriction.com.au/contactus.php

• 11 months later...

a year later and i can confirm that the shims are _definitely_ the root cause for the awful squealing

the brakes do chirp once they get a bit of heat, but overall good as gold

i'm going with the theory that its do with a slight skew of the pads in the basic design and therefore the vibration harmonics

as far as a i can tell, the main differences with the z and modern design is that the new pads tend to be much longer 

5 hours ago, aircobra said:

a year later and i can confirm that the shims are _definitely_ the root cause for the awful squealing

the brakes do chirp once they get a bit of heat, but overall good as gold

i'm going with the theory that its do with a slight skew of the pads in the basic design and therefore the vibration harmonics

as far as a i can tell, the main differences with the z and modern design is that the new pads tend to be much longer 

That's in incorrect conclusion Andrew.
The shims don't cause the squeal. You have another issue.

AFAIK the pad shims are there solely to reduce noise, so install them. Typically they are metal with securing tabs on them, but I believe some are made of rubber.

If you still have a problem after installing shims, then I suspect a sticking piston.

Edited by gilltech

• 7 months later...