L28 Exhaust Headers Advice

greggy2710

Hi Jeff, how much are they from SW? If you can remember

I honestly cannot remember exactly but Lurch may? Mainly because Les from LCR supplied them with the engine. I think they were about $1200 after they were coated?

They are the small bore set 1.5" not the larger set. My motor is 3060 cc and made 305 HP so you wont need big bore ones for a. The design and flow of extractors makes a big difference to engine performance. While they may seem expensive in comparison to some other options its cheap HP.

Jeff

I spotted these yesterday, as I am also looking at options for my L26, eventually to have triple 40 dellortos.

These dont look have half as good as the ones already posted, but they are in NSW.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Datsun-240Z-260Z-6cyl-Petrol-Extractors-Headers/262781201454?hash=item3d2efaec2e:g:GYMAAOSwUKxYYxDB

OK, to clear things up a bit, the headders Ned posted above are the generic Pacemaker / HM Headders style that have been around for decades.

These are fine on mildly tuned L6 engines & will clear all manifolds - triples & twin Hitachi's.

The ones Jeff posted that are on his engine are the SW Motorsport extractors.

They are high performance headders that work best with built higher performance L6's.

They are priced accordingly too as they are still hand made - around the $1500 mark (coated).

Be advised  - they do not fit with the twin Hitachi's. They also foul on certain triple carb manifolds, as the primary shape is longer as it exits the manifold face.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic19d/15-6013CH

Although I am not sure what they would charge for postage.

Hi Jeff,

The header in the link you posted is their 15-6013CH 'MOTORSPORT TBC Coated 6-1 Header' (for round port heads - US$319.95).

large156013CHa.jpg

I just received a shipping quote from the Z store for the 15-6001CH - 'MSA 3-2 TBC Coated Header' (for square port heads - US$299.95) of US$165.54 (via USPS International).

large156001CH.jpg

So the total cost for the 15-6001CH would be about AU$610 and the 15-6013CH would be about AU$635.

large156013CHa.jpg

I've got a set of these to suit square ports (N42 head).

The flange thickness on these headers is quite thin, meaning I had to weld up washers to get everything to line up square with my Redline manifold. I'm not sure of the flange thicknesses of the other types of header but at this price point it's probably on the thin side. 

.../.... I'm not sure of the flange thicknesses of the other types of header but at this price point it's probably on the thin side. 

Seems to be a common issue as the SW Motorsport extractors flange is thinner than the flange on the Kameari (Harada) inlet manifold.

...The flange thickness on these headers is quite thin, meaning I had to weld up washers to get everything to line up square with my Redline manifold. I'm not sure of the flange thicknesses of the other types of header but at this price point it's probably on the thin side. 

Good point Agno.

These two topics are also worth looking at in relation to headers;

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/5610-240z-exhaust-hurricane-headers/

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/13978-stainless-steel-exhaust-manifolds-exhaust-and-jdm-twin-pipe-rear-silencer/?do=findComment&comment=165973

Hi Jeff,

The header in the link you posted is their 15-6013CH 'MOTORSPORT TBC Coated 6-1 Header' (for round port heads - US$319.95).

large156013CHa.jpg

I just received a shipping quote from the Z store for the 15-6001CH - 'MSA 3-2 TBC Coated Header' (for square port heads - US$299.95) of US$165.54 (via USPS International).

large156001CH.jpg

So the total cost for the 15-6001CH would be about AU$610 and the 15-6013CH would be about AU$635.

that sounds about right, i got a few other things from zed store as well as these at the time it was around $800 shipped to my door. they are pretty good quality but pays to have the exhaust flange check to see if its straight(square). i got mine skimmed flat and never had a drama with running them and they cleared my triple dellortos and webers also.

• 1 year later...
On 12/22/2017 at 4:59 PM, MATTY said:

15-6001CH - 'MSA 3-2 TBC Coated Header'

Looks to be an "equal length" type header which is best for exhaust scavenging.

On 12/22/2017 at 4:59 PM, MATTY said:

15-6001CH - 'MSA 3-2 TBC Coated Header

Does not appear to be an "equal length" type header.

Equal length header exhaust scavenging is described here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWTARjxiqlo