Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally progress on paint work. Panels should be going on to the car tomorrow so should have more pictures to  come.  Giddy Up

Hey Lads  Just a few updates  I recently had sent the 240z dash to the Dashboard Dr in Melb to get a re-skin and was surprised at how honest Alan is. The dash was really faded and it had som

Hey Guys   Been to the smash repairs and engine bay is done. I had most of the extra holes filled to give it a cleaner look.   Colour is Porsche 911 GT3 RS Orange that looks amazing. In different

Posted Images

 

Hey Guys 

Small update on the build 

I have not been out to see the car in person but I am little annoyed as after viewing the pictures of the car on my computer I noticed that there is a colour variation in the panels as they did not look different on my phone when I received them. 

I spoke to the panel beater and he said he will need to paint the whole car again with every panel on the car as he had previously painted the car separately. This build has become very frustrating, Not sure if anyone else has had these same issues with restoration shops 

Anyways moving on....

So, in one of my previous post I had put up a picture of my dash that I had the Dash Dr repair and had all the gauges calibrated and the clock serviced. After some discussions with a few people regarding the old technology from the 70's that we would have issues getting the correct readings in the old gauges. I decided to get a Haltech IC-7 Display so that it would match up with the Haltech Elite 2000 and everything new going into the car so that I don't get caught off guard when I'm out driving the car. 

Since I had had my dash repaired, I could not find it in me to cut it up to install the IC-7 so I sourced another dash from Carlos at Sports Classics to have the IC-7 moulded and recessed into the centre of the original 240z dash replacing the original gauges. After the IC-7 has been moulded in I will send this dash over to the Dash Dr to do a full repair on it so that it is vacuum sealed as one piece 

 

Has anyone attempted to try this before?

 

SmartSelect_20200603-225007_Photo Editor.jpg

20201023_195844.jpg

20201023_195855.jpg

20201023_200155.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JDM-TOY said:

I have not been out to see the car in person but I am little annoyed as after viewing the pictures of the car on my computer I noticed that there is a colour variation in the panels as they did not look different on my phone when I received them. 

I spoke to the panel beater and he said he will need to paint the whole car again with every panel on the car as he had previously painted the car separately. This build has become very frustrating, Not sure if anyone else has had these same issues with restoration shops 

He dun goofed.
That's not how you paint a car...

Edited by C.A.F.
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, C.A.F. said:

He dun goofed.
That's not how you paint a car...

Im sick of telling someone who apparently knows how to do his job, how to do his job. 

So now the whole car will get rubbed back and painted again...... Is this acceptable ? Is he expecting to charge me for his time to repaint the car?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JDM-TOY said:

Im sick of telling someone who apparently knows how to do his job, how to do his job. 

So now the whole car will get rubbed back and painted again...... Is this acceptable ? Is he expecting to charge me for his time to repaint the car?

That is something you will have to discuss with him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDM-TOY said:

 

So, in one of my previous post I had put up a picture of my dash that I had the Dash Dr repair and had all the gauges calibrated and the clock serviced. After some discussions with a few people regarding the old technology from the 70's that we would have issues getting the correct readings in the old gauges. I decided to get a Haltech IC-7 Display so that it would match up with the Haltech Elite 2000 and everything new going into the car so that I don't get caught off guard when I'm out driving the car. 

Since I had had my dash repaired, I could not find it in me to cut it up to install the IC-7 so I sourced another dash from Carlos at Sports Classics to have the IC-7 moulded and recessed into the centre of the original 240z dash replacing the original gauges. After the IC-7 has been moulded in I will send this dash over to the Dash Dr to do a full repair on it so that it is vacuum sealed as one piece 

Has anyone attempted to try this before?

I'm running a Haltech Elite 2500 in my car. RB25. I  put original sensors on engine so the factory gauges work.

Surprised to hear "regarding the old technology from the 70's that we would have issues getting the correct readings in the old gauges" There is no reason why this would be the case.

Because I'm running the RB25 I had to remove the speedo drive to get the gearbox in the tunnel without chopping it. So the speedo signal comes from a pickup on the front wheel. Speedo signal into ECU. I then used the OBDII output signal on the ECU to drive a display. This is the unit  in front of my steering wheel. It can display any engine signal you want. I have mine setup to display water temp in degrees, battery voltage and speedo. About $50 on ebay. I feel this is more subtle an in keeping with a 1970s  car than a big display. Although looks like you've already bought your display.

 

741 Pic4.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys 

Been a little sidetracked with a new toy that I recently purchased. The 240z is still getting painting sorted so been on the back of my mind. Hopefully will head out to check out the progress in the next week.

So many wouldn't know that im a true Nissan Pulsar fan who had the privilege of owning a 2000 N15 SSS for 14 years new off the dealership floor till a P plater rear ended me into a FWD. Only had 64000ks on the clock and was a mint example.

Anyways fast forward 2020 and I managed to find a 1990 N14 Nissan Pulsar GTiR chassis number 308 in Ivory White (Umbrella Edition). Currently running 290KW at the wheels so been trying to take it easy.

I have been monitoring the current JDM car market and everything seems to be going up in value. Looking at the early Honda Integra Type R models currently selling for 40k, S15 Sylvias 40k+, R32 80k for a ok one and also the crazy R33 and R34 prices. 

7 months ago I paid a broker to import a GTiR from Japan but after 7 months of searching and only one coming up every 2nd month in bad condition and selling for 30k+ I decided to look local and found this unadvertised mint example. 

Let me know what you guys think

received_480579929533744.jpeg

received_715899732618667.jpeg

received_484788099082496.jpeg

SSS1.JPG

Edited by JDM-TOY
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, gav240z said:

Nice score. Best condition 1 I've seen in a while. Seen a lot of average projects in rough shape .. 

Thanks Gavin 

Yeah I agree. I have seen some bad examples over the past few months. Rust, roll cage, missing interior or broken, not running, needs paint, no umbrella lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

I was wondering what you were on about re: umbrella. But now I remember they have them in the doors like the old Rolls Royce did. haha. Yeah not having that would irk me too, no doubt they are 11ty billion dollars on YAJ! when they do come up also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 9:57 PM, JDM-TOY said:

Unfortunately. 

What protections are there for consumers in this situation lol

Plenty in theory / on paper - in reality always hard if you want to get the car finished and don't want the cost of someone else doing it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, gav240z said:

I was wondering what you were on about re: umbrella. But now I remember they have them in the doors like the old Rolls Royce did. haha. Yeah not having that would irk me too, no doubt they are 11ty billion dollars on YAJ! when they do come up also.

The umbrellas do come up from time to time for around 1K for a decent one. Yahoo Japan best place ever

Link to post
Share on other sites

So finally after some deep and meaningful discussions with the panel beater he finally painted my car again. The car was painted today with all panels on it so it will be one colour I HOPE. 

I haven't seen it yet but I will be going in tomorrow with my grumpy face to see the car. Hopefully the video I put up is clear.

 

Nope video did not work. Will post up some pictures when I head out there tomorrow

 

 

Edited by JDM-TOY
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

$1k for a $20 umbrella. Definitely a YAJ! thing.

I had an AE92 1989 Model Corolla SX hatch. Back in the early 2000s when I was a student. It was meant to save me money so I could put that towards my 73 240z restoration.

Sadly it got broken into when I was in a nightclub with friends 1 night and vandalised. I fixed it up to sell it and let it go. I always wonder where it went.

I've been looking for a clean example for a while but incredibly hard to find some of these cheaper fun cars now. Most had very hard lives.

The Baby Godzilla GTiRs were a car I couldn't afford back then. Would have liked 1. The other cool car was the Honda CRX but they are just as impossible to find now. All shagged.

Oh the other cool 90s hot hatch was the Suzuki GTis. I actually saw 1 the other night because the owner is also a Stagea guy.

My friends brother had an early 1 around the same time I had the Corolla and my friend bought it off his brother, but it was destroyed at a round-about 1 night. Like the others impossible to find now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gav240z said:

$1k for a $20 umbrella. Definitely a YAJ! thing.

I had an AE92 1989 Model Corolla SX hatch. Back in the early 2000s when I was a student. It was meant to save me money so I could put that towards my 73 240z restoration.

Sadly it got broken into when I was in a nightclub with friends 1 night and vandalised. I fixed it up to sell it and let it go. I always wonder where it went.

I've been looking for a clean example for a while but incredibly hard to find some of these cheaper fun cars now. Most had very hard lives.

The Baby Godzilla GTiRs were a car I couldn't afford back then. Would have liked 1. The other cool car was the Honda CRX but they are just as impossible to find now. All shagged.

Yeah I love those twin cam Corollas, not easy to find. One of my old friends bought one back in the day when he got his full licence and back then he found out it was a cut and shut but he loved it and had it for ages. I even managed to get him pulled over by the police and the poor guy copped a fine lol

Yeah CRX are creeping up too, a CI version original car sold in the US for 30k. Its people like you and me driving the prices up on these cars. As long as the S30 keeps going up im happy  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Definitely all the 90s JDM is being driven by our generation (Gen X/Y) because we either had 1 back then, or lusted after them and couldn't afford them. I'm glad I jumped on an FD RX-7 in 2010. As you know I got the Stagea a year and half ago and they have gone up also!

I find with S30Z's they have a rally or surge in value, then plateau for a bit, maybe go a little backwards for a bit, then they surge upwards again.

I got my red 240z back from @C.A.F. the other weekend and I must say I missed it. They are so mechanical and raw. As much as I love the RX-7 and Rb26 Stagea. Something about the rawness of older cars that cannot be replicated today.

IMG20201102183717.jpg

IMG20201101201944.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Lads 

I headed out to the panel beaters today and the car came up pretty well . I just wish he could have done it properly the first time. But anyhow

Will start putting her back together again next week. Fingers crossed 

 

20201113_141733.jpg

20201113_141752.jpg

20201113_143829.jpg

20201113_143810.jpg

20201113_144347.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...