The Build 73 240Z

JDM-TOY

28 minutes ago, jeff43 said:

Nice work, I haven't been on much lately, too much Sim Racing!!!! The car is coming along very nicely, can't wait to see the finished product.

Cheers Jeff

Thanks Jeff 

I just want to make sure its done properly. I feel like I was managing the panel beater hahaha, but I guess I needed to be on top of him (as in making sure the car is done properly). 

Have a Merry Christmas mate

Youhan

5 minutes ago, gav240z said:

Genuine Watanabe's? What specs?

PS saw the Pulsar for sale. Did you sell it?

Yes, 15 × 8 zero offset

Na Im going to keep it. Took it off FB will take it off Carsales too. Dont know why I even bothered putting it up for sale

20201216_113808.jpg

Edited by JDM-TOY

• 1 month later...

After 3 years of waiting and waiting today I can say the 240z has officially headed home. What a wait and mission with many ups and downs and more ups and downs till it finally got done. 

Still have a few things I would like to get stuck into myself before I get the wiring and interior sorted such as brake lines, callipers, turbo hoses and what every I can try do myself. 

Hopefully after the 240z gets engineered I will get the car polished and ceramic coated to protect that paint. 

Sooo beautiful 

20210130_145034.jpg

20210130_145045.jpg

20210130_150856.jpg

20210130_151255.jpg

20210130_151412.jpg

20210130_151442.jpg

19 minutes ago, CroS13 said:

FINALLY OUT OF PAINT PRISON YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH BUDDY!!!! ;D;D;D;D;D

awesome feeling the first time you have her in your garage isn't it!

Rudi

Yeah finally, If I didn't push, the car would stay there another year. 

Definitely a good feeling 

21 hours ago, PET240 said:

LOVE the Orange......my fave colour.

Mine is red...... currently building an RB25/30NA with the GTR ITB setup on it. Car still under its cover of crap so my 9 year old and I can get a start on it.

Love this man, congrats on getting it home!

Thanks mate, a milestone in the build done. 

Love the RB NA with the ITB set up

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys 

Finally after 8 months of waiting I have picked up my modified dash to mount up the Haltech IC-7 dash. 

Danny at Concept Garage did a great job on the styling to make sure the dash retained the signature curves of the OME dash. Just a little modern with the Haltech IC-7 going into it other than the OME cluster. 

I know that its not to everyone's taste but with all the electronics going into the car I wanted to make sure everything was in sync. 

I have still kept the original dash and it on display in my man cave. 

Still need to send it off to the Dash Dr to refurbish and reskin in the factory look vinyl. Will probably send the dash after the lockdowns are lifted. 

Other than that progress has been slow due to work commitments but will start installing the brakes, tailshaft and a few other things to get it ready for wiring. 

Giddy Up!

IMG_8262.jpg

IMG_8264.jpg

20210603_155705.jpg

20210603_155710.jpg

20210603_155829.jpg

20210603_155834.jpg

• 3 months later...

So been a while since posting on here about the 240z but been busy with my other little toy the GTiR Pulsar. 

A few weeks back I was happily driving when I decided to hit it in second and blew the turbo. Investigations found that the turbo was oil starved. Took the car to Just Engine Management had the boys tinker with the car, replace some bits and pieces, get High Spool to rebuild the turbo and run a new tune on dyno

Quite impressive 279atwKW, the car drives amazing compared to the old tune the car had and it actually sounds more aggressive.

Gave it a good hit on the way home and first, second gear wheel spin and sliding. Craziness I need to control 

Will need to get that pod filter extended away from the turbo and fix up gutter rash on the rear passenger wheel

IMG-20210908-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20210908-WA0002.jpg

6 minutes ago, GregTas said:

280kW is a good effort out of a 2 litre. How much boost to get that?

E85 or 98?

26psi on E85 could get more if I upgrade the injectors from 1000cc to 1200cc and upgrade to a Haltech Elite which I have but saving it for the 240z. Spending never stops 

17 minutes ago, GregTas said:

Thought it boost would be quite high and E85.  

I was getting 270kW out of my RB25 at 16psi on 98 fuel.

Now running 18psi, so probably about 280ish.

Thats quite good for 98 but the RB25 engine is bigger than the Sr20det 

What turbo are you running? Cant remember if you said the motor was forged or not? 280 is about all ya wanna go on a unopened SR.  I made 243kw in the S15, but i'm only running pump gas. Tuner said if I ran E85 I could do about 270kw or so, but then again im running a old school Garret 2871R in mine, the GTX and new Gen turbo's are alot better.

Rudi.

Its running a GT3076R. I had the chance to upgrade the core to the GTX3071R gen 2 but regrettably I didn't, would have made 330kw mark. Its a built motor manley rods pistons upgraded cam head studs valve springs blah blah blah.

Theres no point going harder on power when you cant do anything on Sydney streets. Also Im wanting the RB to have the 390+kw on the Z but even that kind of power I dont think it wouldn't be a enjoyable drive unless it was a track day 

23 hours ago, JDM-TOY said:

Theres no point going harder on power when you cant do anything on Sydney streets. Also Im wanting the RB to have the 390+kw on the Z but even that kind of power I dont think it wouldn't be a enjoyable drive unless it was a track day 

Yeah..... I've had this dilemma myself.

I enjoyed the L26 in my car when I had it on the road, because you could absolutely ring its neck and not be breaking the speed limit.

The main problem I had with the S15 is with the Turbo, I didn't get on song until 4.5k RPM, so its a case of trying to overtake someone... nothing nothing nothing BOOST breaking the law.....

Was a bit of a pain sometimes, by the time boost kicks in your over the speed limit, so the only time I would wind out every gear would be on the M4 on ramps late at night.

The LS should be a bit better, but still.

Rudi.

• 9 months later...

Hey Guys 

Been a slow journey trying to get things sorted on the 240z, mostly waiting for a spot to open up at Croydon Racing to take the car in.

I finally decided to get a custom fuel tank made up to replicate the stock,  damaged rusted tank. I had issues cleaning and fixing the old tank and I didn't see the point of buying the reproduction tanks selling online. 

I took the old tank to Chris at Castle Hill Exhaust in Sydney and he designed and fabricated a new aluminium tank. New internal punp, new sender, new lines will definitely make things easy moving forward. 

Some pictures of the new tank. Still needs to put in baffles and weld it up once pump and sender have been test fitted.

When we fit the tank I will take fitment pictures and put them up

20220628_174840.jpg

20220628_174843.jpg

20220628_174913.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys 

Just got the tank back from powered coating. Going to have the tank straps made up when the car is getting the lines done back at the shop.

So the set up is a Raceworks twin fuel cell,  two 460 pumps with new sender to suit.

Link: https://raceworks.com.au/catch-cans-tanks/hangers/single-twin-fuel-pump-hanger/ 

Waiting to have all new fuel lines, turbo lines, water lines, catch can lines, wiper lines and brake lines all sorted. Have a few cars ahead so expected to get started in 5 weeks or so. Its amazing how everyone is backed up with work lined up

The whole set up was done by Chris from Castle Hill Exhaust. Very reliable and honest guy would highly recommend. He mentioned he will be joining the forum to put more details up if anyone wants a new tank made up.

Happy restorations 

20220802_173610.jpg

20220802_173521.jpg

20220802_173619.jpg

20220802_173622.jpg

20220802_173644.jpg

20220802_173707.jpg

20220802_173735.jpg

20220802_174206.jpg

20220802_174218.jpg

Edited by JDM-TOY

• 3 months later...

So been busy trying to sort our all the fuel, brake and turbo lines on the car and fitting the front and rear calipers and have come across a issue with the rear set-up. 

Fuel, brake and turbo lines all look good and hidden, quite happy with the work.

Im using the SW caliper kit to suite the rear R33 GTST set-up. The kit has been mounted well and the disk, caliper fit and rotate well with no issues. 

So the issue I have is that when we put the disc on we noticed that the centre hub is flush with the disc and that when we put the wheel on the hub does not extend into the centre of the wheel. Its just hollow and the weight of the car will be sitting on the studs and not on the hub, causing the distribution of weight to be on the studs. 

Wheels are Watanabe 15 × 8 zero offset, Tyres are 225/50/R15 

Issue two is when we put the wheel on the wheel wont spin as it catches onto the real caliper. We can sort of solve this issue with spacers but I might run into another issue of having the wheel sticking out and hitting the inner guards when hitting a bump. 

I might need to machine inside of the wheels but I really dont want to head down this path as they are brand new wheels and I dont want to damage them in any way. 

Has anyone in the group had this issue? And what options are out there without changing my wheels

Youhan

20221110_112702.jpg

20221110_112708.jpg

20221110_112907.jpg

20221110_112926.jpg

20221110_113730.jpg

20221110_113734.jpg