The Build 73 240Z

JDM-TOY

18 hours ago, kamarchi said:

What did you do for the RB sump and engine & transmission mounts?

Hey @kamarchi we had the mounts fabricated and I purchased a RWD sump from a nissan patrol as they have a big rear sump. We fabricated the sump to hold 8 litres as I have purchased a Nitto high volume oil pump. 

• 2 months later...

Hey guys 

Been a while since my last update. Had to wait a while to have work done on the RB26 engine. 

Replaced the standard oil pump with a Nitto High Flow pump due to the power upgrade. I really didn't want to starve the engine from oil so we put in a head drain and connected it to the sump. New timing belt, water pump rear main seal, new metal intake and manifold gaskets. New twin plate clutch to hopefully sustaine the high HP. 

Eneine should be in soon, will put up pictures as it progresses.  Yada Yada Yada

IMG_4644.jpg

On 3/5/2020 at 9:56 AM, KatoKid said:

That's a popular alternative for engines that have restricted oil flow from the pickup....aka Holden red sixes...ask my brother how he knows

Yeah Im surprised that the manufacturer's didn't address this prior to manufacturing the cars.

Its like the new Toyota Hilux engines blowing smoke. Toyota knew this issue existed 5 years proir to selling the  new Hilux and now have a big issue to deal with. Different issue but they still knew 

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys 

Hope everyone is doing well 

Been a month or so since my last post, been quite busy work wise. Also been waiting for the running gear to get put in the car and its taking longer that I expected. Spoke to the guys next door to were my car is and they just keep putting off doing the work to m car, its a little frustrating waiting. I wish I had the tools and equipment to put it together at my place but due to having no working area or tools its just easier to get someone to do it for you. Also have paid cash for all the work that has been done and all the purchases the guys have bade just dont understand 

Since the running gear was sitting at the workshop I took it in and gave it a good clean and gave it a good lick of saturn black. Looks quite nice after the paint dried up just needs to go in the car now lol. 

So I as I wait I have been looking up different LSD options for the R200 and I'm tossing between a Kaaz two way or a OS Giken and I wanted to see what experience some of you guys have had and if there is any feedback on the two products. 

Thanks guys, hopefully wont be too long but an considering taking the running gear elsewhere but other than SW dont know anyone reliable

Resized_20200319_130609.jpeg

Resized_20200318_110214.jpeg

Resized_20200319_134609.jpeg

Resized_20200319_130616.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

So over the past few months I have been umming and Ahing over upgrading the factory headlights I decided to purchase a Dapper Lighting HID kit upgraded from the factory globe's.

• 1x Projector Kit Relay Harnesses (V1/V2)
  • 1x Dapper Lighting 7" Classic V1
  • 1x Bulb
  • 1x Chrome Base
  • 1x Headlamp Protection Covers

I will update with install pictures once the cars getting put back together. But from what I could see Dapper make quality upgrade kits

20200522_143045.jpg

20200522_143258.jpg

Re LSD’s. I’ve no actual experience with the KAAZ type but I did read about them being noisey.

I’ve got the OS Giken, from the driving I’ve done it’s really quiet and you don’t know it’s there. $80 a litre for their special oil is crazy though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 11:31 AM, Riceburner said:

Re LSD’s. I’ve no actual experience with the KAAZ type but I did read about them being noisey.

I’ve got the OS Giken, from the driving I’ve done it’s really quiet and you don’t know it’s there. $80 a litre for their special oil is crazy though.

Yeah, I read that that they are noisey too but I found out that there are two options for KAAZ Two Way. There is the KAAZ Two Way (Standard) and there is the KAAZ Two Way Super Q. I initially spoke to Stewart Wilkins about this option and I thought he was pulling my let lol, so I looked into it and he was right poor Stewart loll so I ended buying one from him coz he always helps, the poor guy. I'm always thinking about conspiracies lol 

The SuperQ is a option through KAZZ and they machine and treat the unit so that it has reduced chattering and smoother engagement. This is from the KAAZ USA Website after intensive research after speaking to SW. There is about $300 difference in price between the two units 

SuperQ (WPC treatment)

Every Kaaz limited-slip differential is offered in a SuperQ variant. SuperQ units feature reduced chattering and smoother engagement for an enhanced driving experience. With the help of WPC metal treatment, SuperQ limited-slip differentials also come with better heat dissipation and longer wear life with no break-in process required. Just like all of Kaaz’s limited-slip differentials, SuperQ units allow for locking rate adjustments.

https://kaazusa.com/product/nissan-skyline-hr32-33-er32-33-rps13-s13s14-n-a-2-way/ 

On 5/25/2020 at 2:48 PM, Cozza said:

If you’re still struggling with the blokes installing the running gear, you could try James Flett at MIA. 

Hey Cozza thanks heaps.

I will give James a call and see what he says in the next week or so. I just dislike mechanics saying yeah bro we can do the job and the car sits at the shop collecting dust on that new paint. The boys sent some stuff to get powder coated last week so hopefully they pull the finger out

Hey Lads 

Just a few updates 

I recently had sent the 240z dash to the Dashboard Dr in Melb to get a re-skin and was surprised at how honest Alan is. The dash was really faded and it had some deep scratches and some of the skin had been damaged but nothing major. Alan called me up and said that he didn't want to  re-skin the dash and that he would do a quick repair and give it a coat of paint. This guy could have charged me $600 plus and just done the quick repair. The dash arrived the other day and it looks like its been re-skined and the glovebox lid looks amazing. Very nice to know that there honest people out there.

So was busy tonight trying to get the centre three gauges in and in this cold weather I broke a sweat trying to squeeze them back into place. So after some failed negotiations with the dash I decided to give my old friend Vaseline the opportunity to do his job. Not even 5 mins and the gauges had slipped in place and at this point in time I asked myself why I didn't grab that container in the first place. The worst part was the wife's look after the first failed attempt and even after the second successful attempt.

A while back I had purchased new side air vent inserts and I gave the vents a good clean and inserted the new chrome inserts. Im having a issue with finding screws that screw into the rear of the dash to tighten up the vents. I was wondering if anyone know if there is a screw kit that I can use for the dash and its bits a peaces as currently there are 10 different screws that I have in a bag that was holding everything together. 

I have purchased a complete nut and bolt set for the car but I need a screw kit/set if there is one available 

Giddy Upp!

Dash gauges 1.jpg

Dash gauges 2.jpg

Dash Vent Inner .jpg

Dash Vents.jpg

SmartSelect_20200603-225007_Photo Editor.jpg

Edited by JDM-TOY

Hey bro dash is looking great!

So let me try and understand. The Dash doctor guy said that he didn't need to re-skin the dash? so he would do a quick repair to it and re paint it.

But when you got it back it looks like he re skinned it anyway?

So what did the repair end up costing? and how much was it to post down there and get back and who did you use for that job?

Can't believe that shop is mucking you around so much aye.

Rudi.

10 hours ago, CroS13 said:

But when you got it back it looks like he re skinned it anyway?

So what did the repair end up costing? and how much was it to post down there and get back and who did you use for that job?

Can't believe that shop is mucking you around so much aye.

Rudi.

Hey Rudi 

Yeah I was surprised at how nice the dash came up too. I thought he would have made a mistake and re-skinned it but the invoice said repair on it 

Shipping each way was $56 each way with insurance. I used the website Trans Direct and put the recieving addresses as a business otherwise it was calculating the costs at $130 each way. 

The dash re-skin cost is about $600 but he only charged me $120

Re: The mechanics and panel beater, yeah not happy about this situation. I wish I had the tools and some help and do it at home, would have been good but it is what it is and I have learnt from it for sure. 

Cheers

Youhan

14 hours ago, theremm said:

Think you might have misinterpreted the previous post...

Probably should have worded my last sentence better, but luckily  it seems Youhan understood what i was saying anyway.

The shop who is mucking him around is the race shop next door to the panel shop. I was not implying the dash doctor was the one giving him grief.

Is there no one in Sydney that does dash re-skins?  It seems everyone ships em to melbourne.

Rudi.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally made some time to install the sound deadener in the 240z. One of the easiest jobs to do but time consuming and annoying being on your knees most of the time. 

Tomorrow the panels, doors amd hatch will get painted so hopefully by Monday the car will come together.

20201008_165018.jpg

20201008_165033.jpg

20201008_165007.jpg

2 minutes ago, CroS13 said:

Hell yeah brother! good to see more progress! 

Is the motor in a running condition yet?

Rudi.

Hey Rudy 

Yeah tell me about it, Its about time

Na still needs a few small things like pulley kit that im chasing around, alternator im looking for a 200amp and still needs wiring. I am getting a custom tank made up and going to cut out the wheel well. Going to be around 60 65L. 

Baby pictures are cute bro hehe