The Build 73 240Z

JDM-TOY

Hurry up and get your suspension to Marcel, i need the rotisserie your car is on as the brackets are already made for it!! ;D

More than likely getting my zed dropped off next week to get blasted and at the very least epoxy primed!

So yeah... your car needs to come off that rotisserie, and mine needs to go on LOL!

Rudi.

Haha, Hey Rudi good choice mate.

Yeah hopefully by the end of this week. Im just waiting on the powder coaters to finish some of the rear end.

Believe me I want to see the car off that rotisserie to have the body work all done and ready for paint.

Yeah I have seen that red 240z before but not at the shop, it belongs to Carlos from Sports Car Classics. Big hit, would need a big pull and alignment but Marcel will do a good job on that too.

Cheers

Youhan

Hey guys

Still building,

Picked up a R200 diff 3.9 ratio and a mustache bar today from Sports Car Classics. Once the car is done I will definitely take it to Jason from Gear Exchange in Smithfield and get a LSD put on. But for now keep it standard.

Should have the suspension all sorted out hopefully by Friday to get the car off the rotisserie

Cheers

Youhan

post-106017-0-61111800-1528200402_thumb.jpg

Hey guys

Small update, picked up some 15 X 8 0P star steel wheels for the Dato. I ordered a set of RS Watanabe 8 spoke from Japan and its been 2 months and no wheels yet. Thought to just get these steelies to get me by for fitment and rolling of the guards.

I also Spoke to Steve the technical manager at Toyo and he said that the R888 R in a 205/50/15 would sit well on these wheels and also the Watanabes. So I put in a order for those too.

Bilstein are taking there time to deliver the shocks I ordered. Not sure when they will arrive.

post-106017-0-78454000-1528527369_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-16194000-1528527384_thumb.jpg

Edited by JDM-TOY

• Moderators

Hi

Great choice of rim size.

You could fit 225/50 on that rim size as well, but clearence becomes an issue.

I currently have 15X8 - 0 with 225/50/15 all round. I will probably be changing to 205/50/15 on front when I next change tyres.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys been a little slack on updates. Picked up the Toyo R888 R on Monday and I must say they look quite nice. Cant wait to get them on the Watanabes and on the car to compare to the R1R's I had on the Celica. 

Also been working on the rear break conversion, picked these backing plates from SW Motorsport and I must add that they definitely put a hole in my pocket. Need to get them coated. So the plan is to run R33 GTR calipers front and rear with a 4 stud. Need to powder coat the calipers and get them rebuilt. Better to do this now so we have no issues later.

Also have had the strut sleves adjusted for the coilovers. Waiting on getting them back from the powder coaters, I got them to powder coat them in Bronze. Rear end painted and new bushes so whould be good once together.  

Happy Restorations Everyone 

20180618_161251.jpg

20180618_160948.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

Edited by JDM-TOY
Big fingers on a small key pad is no good

On 4/23/2018 at 7:47 PM, Brabham said:

Bumpers look good, how much was it to get one of them done? Do you know if they sent it to Victoria or did it in NSW?

Cheers

Hey Brabham I found out the my bumpers got sent to Melbourne to get done. After I picked them up the first time I have sent the front bumper and the passenger side rear bumper back three times becuse of peeling and not being chromed to the edge of the metal. A real head doer, Monday I will go and check them again as they have arrived from Melbourne. Hopefully they are done correctly.

On 6/4/2018 at 8:42 PM, CroS13 said:

Hurry up and get your suspension to Marcel, i need the rotisserie your car is on as the brackets are already made for it!!  ;D

More than likely getting my zed dropped off next week to get blasted and at the very least epoxy primed! 

So yeah... your car needs to come off that rotisserie, and mine needs to go on LOL!

Rudi.

Hey Rudi 

Our cars look good together in that shop. I should have mine off the Rotisserie by the end of the week. Waiting on powder coaters is a nightmare...

• Moderators
10 hours ago, JDM-TOY said:

I think im having second thoughts on the bronze, looks dirty and dusty. What do you guys think??

They look different in different lighting....

20180623_120439.jpg

Hi

To be honest, I am not convinced,

- what colour will the rest of hardware be ?

- how does it look in a low light situation (like under a car)?

But... as I have always said, “It is your car - build it the way YOU want it”

Cheers

PB

• Administrators

If your paint job is going to be flat black sure, if not it looks like it's an inbetween phase colour. Like it's not finished.

3 hours ago, PB260Z said:

Hi

To be honest, I am not convinced,

- what colour will the rest of hardware be ?

- how does it look in a low light situation (like under a car)?

But... as I have always said, “It is your car - build it the way YOU want it”

Cheers

PB

The rest will be all black with enamel plated nuts and bolts.

Yeah im getting turned off now, black would be a nicer look.

1 hour ago, gav240z said:

If your paint job is going to be flat black sure, if not it looks like it's an inbetween phase colour. Like it's not finished.

Yeah I agree, ill get them redone 

Thanks Guys

On 6/23/2018 at 11:54 PM, JDM-TOY said:

Hey Rudi 

Our cars look good together in that shop. I should have mine off the Rotisserie by the end of the week. Waiting on powder coaters is a nightmare...

Yeah they do LOL! Seems he has a few zeds, and quite the amount of fairlady roadsters in the shop. 

Did Marcel give you a time frame on how long your car will take to get painted? 

It seems a few guys quit on him recently, when i first went there, he was by himself. And while i was checking on my car, he had a young kid working there first week.

He did mention he had a few cars, including yours, to get through before he could get started on mine, he mentioned a car round the back of the booth that had been there "a while" with the owner screaming for it to be done, so that would be a priority. I Don't want my car sitting there for a year gathering dust you know. 

Oh and  did you just use the Protec paint system he uses when he did your engine bay?

Rudi.

Edited by CroS13

1 hour ago, CroS13 said:

Yeah they do LOL! Seems he has a few zeds, and quite the amount of fairlady roadsters in the shop. 

Did Marcel give you a time frame on how long your car will take to get painted? 

It seems a few guys quit on him recently, when i first went there, he was by himself. And while i was checking on my car, he had a young kid working there first week.

He did mention he had a few cars, including yours, to get through before he could get started on mine, he mentioned a car round the back of the booth that had been there "a while" with the owner screaming for it to be done, so that would be a priority. I Don't want my car sitting there for a year gathering dust you know. 

Oh and  did you just use the Protec paint system he uses when he did your engine bay?

Rudi.

Hey Rudi

Well to be honest i'm holding Marcel up due to the suspension and break setup taking longer than expected. He said once the car is on the ground he will start and it would take a good two months or so till its put back together. 

But I will definitely be going in there to help him out once the suspension is done to put it up and also to put the car together. 

Yeah both guys left to open their own shops so he got used by them a little. But when I went there last week he had tow other guys there working. But regardless of who does your car they all say it will be done soon but take forever.

For my engine bay he used PPG paint but mixed it there. He said he will order the paint from PPG.

Not sure what you want to do, its hard when you rely on someone's word.

Youhan

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys

Been a very busy young chap but the car still remains on the rotisserie. Basically been trying to sort out all the break components amd get parts from different people who have a lot of stock on back order.

Today I managed head out to SW Motorsport to get the front caliper brackets, break discs (slotted& vented), aluminium hats, hat bolts, front break hoses, axel nuts and rear wheel  bearing sets. 

Ill take some pictures of the caliper brackets soon

I just want to know one thing, when will all this spending stop loll...

20180711_151215.jpg

20180711_151206.jpg

20180711_151200.jpg

21 hours ago, George said:

The spending will stop when you run out of money.

What brand are the rear wheel bearings?

Haha yeah it seems that way ay George. Ill get the brand for you as I misplaced the box. Ill check again tomorrow 

1 hour ago, HKSZ said:

Do you have to cut the old caliper mounts off the front struts and redrill for the SWR mounts?

HKSZ yeah old caliper mounts get shaved off and you need to redrill the holes on the strut. But Stewart said that once his mounts have been fitted the struts need to be swapped from side to side. Apparently so the R33 caliper fits

Hey @George this is the brand for the bearings both made in Japan. 

@HKSZ this is the SW brackets I got. The existing caliper brackets have been shaved off so need to get the struts coated again. 

So I have decided to leave the struts in the smokey bronz colour as its starting to grow on me. 

Should have it all complete in the next few days

20180713_121111.jpg

20180713_121121.jpg

20180713_121129.jpg

20180713_121148.jpg

20180713_121140.jpg

20180713_121151.jpg

20180713_121410.jpg

Looking good, keen to know more about the bilsteins. Did you section the struts or use any spacers?

I don’t mind the bronze, it’s a change from the black everything on all the mechanical parts. I’ve thought about doing the yellow chromate on struts, similar to the Ohlins S30 ones without the price tag.

Hey @Riceburner yeah the yellow would look nice even in matte yellow. 

Im using the factory S30 strut tops and I got some spacers made for the shock top. Not a great picture but I will take a few more and put them up. 

Youhan

Screenshot_20180713-195224_Gallery.jpg

Edited by JDM-TOY

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys 

Making progress on the breaks, got the calipers back from powder coaters and had all the bolts and clips cadmium plated, also got a new seal kits.

The SW brackets are spot on and look better than I thought. Had a heap of mucking around with fitting the hand break shoes and making them work with the springs and cable but got that sorted. 

Looking more complete 

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg