The Build 73 240Z

JDM-TOY

Hey mate how much did outer west charge you to blast the car and have it Epoxy primed? Are you happy with the blasting and priming work they did?

I went and saw 2 other blasters, and was about to pull the trigger with stripco in Revesby. They were hesitant to epoxy the car, as they wanted to leave it in bare steel with a phosphoric coating so the panel beater could exactly see any damage on the metal. They said that if its epoxy coated it would mask potential issues with the metal. They only do blasting.

The other mob i was going to go with, they blast then etch prime the shell. They wanted to charge me a additional $1000 just for labor to epoxy the car, without materials, which leads me to believe that they were going to outsource the epoxy work to a smash shop they know, so i was hesitant to use them.

Outer west was going to be my 3rd option, i had heard 1 good review on them, a mate got his doors blasted there, but i never ended up calling them as i was going to go with stripco.

Issue is my painter who was going to epoxy my car at home is going to america for 2 months. So its either wait till he gets back and get it blasted at Stripco, or find another solution.

Rudi.

My car is currently having a  door skin done from rare spare. The pain is that the door handler  is not quite  right and need some work. and some minor work to make it fit according to the panel guy.

Say that I am happy with the over all look but it is still a few week away from see the light of day again. It been a quite the project so far.

Bruce           

• Administrators

My car is currently having a  door skin done from rare spare. The pain is that the door handler  is not quite  right and need some work. and some minor work to make it fit according to the panel guy.

Say that I am happy with the over all look but it is still a few week away from see the light of day again. It been a quite the project so far.

Bruce           

Yeah the lock hole isn't big enough and the skin is a bit short at the top edge under the windscreen A pillar and front fender. I need to mig along the edge of mine to close the gap. Given my time again I'd probably have repaired the original skin by replacing the lower section. Live and learn..

Hey Guys

Passengers door skin was delivered from Rare Spares pretty happy with the quality. Also ordered a drivers side

Also had the rear passenger side inner and outer guards welded in. Now just need to have the new door skin adjusted correctly to have the correct gaps.

Waiting on Tabco to deliver the drivers side inner and outer.

Edited by JDM-TOY

Hey Guys

Passengers door skin was delivered from Rare Spares pretty happy with the quality. Also ordered a drivers side

Also had the rear passenger side inner and outer guards welded in. Now just need to have the new door skin adjusted correctly to have the correct gaps.

Waiting on Tabco to deliver the drivers side inner and outer.

post-106017-0-37121400-1522734750_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-22053900-1522734777_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-62071700-1522735155_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-28928500-1522735197_thumb.jpg

Edited by JDM-TOY

Hey Guys

Finally recieved my order from MSA and I got slammed with duty and GST of $550. What can I say, its been one of those experiences.

Starting with the 432 Rear Bobtail, all quality. Solid with mould to sit above the rear quarters and bolts for fitment on the boot, will not complain at all. Same goes with the Fairlady badges, made from good quality metal. The steering wheel is of high quality for a reproduction. Taillights well what can I say, smooth as can be. Rubbers all tught and wiring done to a high standard.

Cant wait to ge the bobtail fitted. I know Gavin and Jeff would be intrested on how it sits

post-106017-0-54071600-1522820922_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-06748600-1522820945_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-79899900-1522820971_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-00473000-1522820990_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-06948500-1522821021_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-53747300-1522821067_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-63198200-1522821084_thumb.jpg

Edited by JDM-TOY

Hey guys

Went past to day to drop off the drivers inner rear repair panel and two front fender repair panels I finally recieved from Tabco. Passengers door skin has been replaced and currently working on the drivers door skin.

Lucky I made the decision to replace both door skins. Between the outer and inner panels was heaps of hidden rust. It wouldn't have taken long for the rust to bubble through the doors.

Tomorrow the work starts on the drivers rear inner and outer guards. Then in between, have the lower front fenders replaced on both sides.

Im also considering getting new aftermarket bonnet from Ebay. The current one I have is workable but needs work.

Happy Restorations Guys

post-106017-0-35828000-1523363360_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-03404000-1523363801_thumb.jpeg

post-106017-0-57276600-1523363816_thumb.jpeg

Hi Youhan,

I just saw your the photo of the inside of your car here;

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/17125-s30-seat-rails/?do=findComment&comment=203051

- and wondered if you are aware of the fact that you should fit a clutch pedal stop.

See this topic;

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/11780-clutch-pedalstop/

Now would be a good time to fit one.

Hi Youhan,

I just saw your the photo of the inside of your car here;

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/17125-s30-seat-rails/?do=findComment&comment=203051

- and wondered if you are aware of the fact that you should fit a clutch pedal stop.

See this topic;

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/11780-clutch-pedalstop/

Now would be a good time to fit one.

Hi Ian, good point thanks for the heads up. I will speak to the panel beater when I head out there next week. Also im getting him to cut the gear hole on the tunnel.

Good post

Cheers

Looking good. Nice to see the original rear guards back on it.

Thanks Greg

It coming along nicely but its a shame that the original guards had been butchered. Just happy its coming back to life

Small update.

Put in a order for new number plates for the 240z a few weeks back, S30Z. Recieved a letter from RMS yesterday that the plates are in. Cant use them now so I have put them on hold till the cars ready for the road. Should add to the style of the car once complete.

I just hope the size is correct and its not larger than my current plates

post-106017-0-57344500-1523623834_thumb.jpg

Edited by JDM-TOY

Hey Guys

Finally recieved my order from MSA and I got slammed with duty and GST of $550. What can I say, its been one of those experiences.

Starting with the 432 Rear Bobtail, all quality. Solid with mould to sit above the rear quarters and bolts for fitment on the boot, will not complain at all. Same goes with the Fairlady badges, made from good quality metal. The steering wheel is of high quality for a reproduction. Taillights well what can I say, smooth as can be. Rubbers all tught and wiring done to a high standard.

Cant wait to ge the bobtail fitted. I know Gavin and Jeff would be intrested on how it sits

Hi Youhan,

Just out of curiosity, how much was duty? and do you think you would have been better off doing two seperate orders/shipments to avoid the GST/duty, and pay the extra freight instead? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to disclose publicly. 

Goods made in the USA are supposed to be duty free but it is up to the supplier to at least state this prominently in the paperwork. 

Yeah I am aware of the AUSFTA paperwork they need to fill out, which you have ask them to fill out each time. But I am assuming that some of the items above are not made in the US

Hi Youhan,

Just out of curiosity, how much was duty? and do you think you would have been better off doing two seperate orders/shipments to avoid the GST/duty, and pay the extra freight instead? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to disclose publicly.

Hey OdinZ

All I recieved a receipt for the $550 I paid to FedEx via credit card. Theres no break down just the total amount and ststus paid. It has my details on it so wouldn't post it up.

Cheers

I'm in Canada and when I buy US parts I always request other carriers. UPS which uses FedEx overcharges for brokerage fee's, handling fee's etc.

I always request USPS as there usually isn't any brokerage fee's. Not sure if that's an option for you guys. Its bad enough with our poor exchange rate to the US which is the same as Aus to US.

Hey OdinZ

All I recieved a receipt for the $550 I paid to FedEx via credit card. Theres no break down just the total amount and ststus paid. It has my details on it so wouldn't post it up.

Cheers

Hey mate, all good. FedEx are supposed to send you the invoice (not receipt) which gives you the whole break down. 

I'm in Canada and when I buy US parts I always request other carriers. UPS which uses FedEx overcharges for brokerage fee's, handling fee's etc.

I always request USPS as there usually isn't any brokerage fee's. Not sure if that's an option for you guys. Its bad enough with our poor exchange rate to the US which is the same as Aus to US.

It's not so much the brokerage fees, it's the import duties (if parts are not made in the US) we have to pay our government plus GST when total value of imported goods is over AUS$1000

• Administrators

It's not so much the brokerage fees, it's the import duties (if parts are not made in the US) we have to pay our government plus GST when total value of imported goods is over AUS$1000

Not entirely true, when I import panels via sea freight I get charged GST (on goods under $1000 AUD worth), I believe it's because they charge GST based on the container value and so GST is applied to all items within. Not individual items.

There is no free ride, hence find stuff locally if you can.

Not entirely true, when I import panels via sea freight I get charged GST (on goods under $1000 AUD worth), I believe it's because they charge GST based on the container value and so GST is applied to all items within. Not individual items.

There is no free ride, hence find stuff locally if you can.

Sorry, was referring to air-freight only. We don't sea-freight a lot at my work, too much of a delay for our products.