Which Tyre: Primarily Road But May Track Occasionally.....not Race Though

KatoKid

As per the title, I need to make a decision on tyres. Advice I've had so far says to go with a road/track type tyre otherwise you end up having have two sets of wheels. So what brand and model of tyre?

Rims are 16 x 8 +0. Looks like most people run 225/45 but I would prefer 225/50 for a bit more sidewall but there is nearly an inch difference in diameter and I don't want to add to or risk guard interference issues. Whats peoples experience with the 2 sizes?

Thanks

Edited by KatoKid

I've got the A050 on my car currently (15s though) and I needed to have my rear guards rolled to give them sufficient clearance compared to the old Toyo T1Rs that I had. I've got a set of R888R set aside for when these tyres die and even though they are all the same sizes they look larger again!

Most semi slicks sit on the beefier side of their respective sizes compared to conventional road tyres.

I second what Mossy said re semi slicks and stones.

I run 16x8 225/50/16. For me the 50 looks so much better and more period correct than the lower profile look of a 45.  I have Kuhmo sports and they are the best road tyre I've used - Mossys old wheels.

Not this again. You want to go on the track, you get track tires. For the road, you need road tires. Like the guys say , there are good and bad trade offs. Race tires get sticky and throw stones up everywhere , thay are no good in the wet because they are designed to grip when hot, so in the rain they don't grip and have very little tread.. Road tires on the track just heat up and scrub out with little grip.

But of cause if you want to compromise and meet in the middle. Then you have a compromised tire that won't be good at ether.

It would be fair to say most guys who track there cars have another set of wheels. They all start out with the compromised tire until they work it out for themselves .

Not this again. You want to go on the track, you get track tires. For the road, you need road tires. Like the guys say , there are good and bad trade offs. Race tires get sticky and throw stones up everywhere , thay are no good in the wet because they are designed to grip when hot, so in the rain they don't grip and have very little tread.. Road tires on the track just heat up and scrub out with little grip.

But of cause if you want to compromise and meet in the middle. Then you have a compromised tire that won't be good at ether.

It would be fair to say most guys who track there cars have another set of wheels. They all start out with the compromised tire until they work it out for themselves .

9ecaa13b545cc6bbed3946662373b4e6.jpg

This is true if you are going to track the car regularly but if you are only going on the track once in a blue moon, I would recommend the road Yoko AD08R.

I use Yoko A050 track tyres on my race car and I have AD08 on my road mx-5 and I have taken it onto Philip Island and Sandown and the AD08 does not have the same grip as the track dedicated A050 however I was pleasantly surprised at the level of grip it provides and more importantly how progressive/predictable it is. As with any tyres on the track the key is getting the right pressure recommended for the tyres to make them work.

If it's predominantly a road car and you're only going to the track once in a blue moon surely you get the optimal road tyre and enjoy whatever performance it provides at the track.

Comfort and confidence is key to a road tyre I'd reckon.

Ok I wanna chime in here. My vote would be for the Yokohama AD08R. Yes they are expensive but they offer excellent grip in either situation.

I have had these tyres on my R32 GTR for the last 2 years and have done countless weekend and weekday runs whether it hot or pissing with rain, also done 3 track days on them. Never had any issues with the car feeling unsafe in the wet and the car puts down 460kw at the wheels on 17psi of boost so its no slouch. Can i get it to light up all fours in the wet, of course but you drive to the conditions. I will agree that when its warm and the road surface is kinda gravely they will throw up stones, so either get you're lower guards clear wrapped or accept it.

The tyres I had before these and have them on once again (because i got them cheap  ;D ) are hankook Z221 semi slicks. They are more track focused, definitely provide more grip at the track but are quite a bit louder to drive on the street. Once again the car still feels safe in the pouring rain on the road, just don't be an idiot and you will be fine.

My lap times were still pretty decent with the AD08R's, just make sure you check pressures and keep them at suggested hot pressures and they provide plenty of grip and confidence. Definitely the pick of the crop if you want a street and track tyre.

I will be trialing a set of the newish nankang semi slicks on a different car in December at the track and will give some feedback then. These things are dirt cheap and people that i know that have tried them have said for the money they are great.

Edited by 24TZ

Be very aware, there are some tyres that people think are "semi slicks" or tyre retailers will tell you they are "semi slicks" the reality s, they either have little knowledge, or are just trying to sell tyres.

If you do want track use tyres, go do some research,

visit a track at a race meeting, ( not a sprint day),

and go look at the Production Touring, Sports, or IPRA category cars.

You'll find they are on proper semi slicks.

Find the guys that are up the front, the ones that race, and have a bit of knowledge about what works.

And have a second set of shitter tyres on nice rims, no-one will care what your street rubber is.

Thanks everyone for the input, really appreciated.

While I would like to track the car on occasional days, I'm also keen to keep it in pristine condition for as long as possible so with the comments regards to stone damage I think I will get a dedicated set of road tyres and then find some shitty rims to mount some "semi's" on at some time in the future.

So next question is which road tyre. I've always had good experience with Bridgestones but open to suggestions?

Thanks