Very Straight Front Grille (Slated Type)

gav240z

• Administrators

Hey Folks,

I'm in the middle of trying to straighten out a slightly bent grille, but thought I'd see if there is anyone out there with a good straight 1 for sale and what kind of asking prices?

I can probably get mine straight again with enough time invested but might be better off with another if I can find 1.

Thanks,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ubqAKbbCDKsbfKRG2

• Administrators

Gav , I have several straight slats you can have that might solve your dilemma .

Regards : Alan . 

Thanks Alan, I'd appreciate that. The big problem will be fixing the brackets but I may actually make them from scratch! It's a case of hours invested in fixing what I have vs cost of replacement with a better 1.

Do you think Carlos has any? His website had them listed but I know it's not exactly updated often.

This is one of the reasons I went for the Fairlady grille.....my slated grille was toast and had been repaired a few times, none particularly well.

It may be expensive for a one off but what about getting group buy together and organizing some CNC'ed brackets?

• Administrators

This is one of the reasons I went for the Fairlady grille.....my slated grille was toast and had been repaired a few times, none particularly well.

It may be expensive for a one off but what about getting group buy together and organizing some CNC'ed brackets?

I actually have a NOS Fairlady Z Grille ready to go, but I kind of want to keep the original slated grille also. So I guess worst case scenario I have that to fall back on.

I was looking at the Grille itself and it would be possible to remake without too much effort but like anything, how much time / money do I want to invest? I noticed Skillard in the US do a reproduction Grille as does Star Road (goes down lower below the bumper).

At $895 USD it's pretty expensive.

But it's also not OEM :D

The problem with the stock grille is that the metal is so thin it's actually hard to panel beat back into shape. I've actually straightened it out significantly but it's still not 100% and I'm the kind of person who will notice it each time if it's not right... unfortunately. Like a lot of things I used to see Grille's all the time for cheap, now I'm not even sure what their value is as I haven't seen a good 1 for sale in a while!

Afraid not Gav , I bought the last reasonable one he had & made my own one up from the different pieces I obtained over the years . You are welcome to the slats I have left mate .

post-101322-0-73020500-1505431690_thumb.jpgGav , down thru your way mon 25th Sept , will drop them off for you . Donation to the site . LOL .

They have surface rust , but should clean up pretty good .

Edited by zeds4ever

• Administrators

attachicon.gifIMG_1907.JPGGav , down thru your way mon 25th Sept , will drop them off for you . Donation to the site . LOL .

They have surface rust , but should clean up pretty good .

Thanks mate appreciate it.

You can't weld the brackets either as I discovered. TAFE teacher blew holes in them with the TIG. The slats are finicky but you can straighten them. I might have some supports I made that I would sell if you are interested.

I will see if my tafe teacher can help weld them, they are damn thin and we might just have to remake them... but if you've already gone to the trouble let me know what price you're after. I know they probably took longer than most would think they do to make...easy to under estimate.

• Administrators

Hey Alan,
Thanks for dropping off those grille slats today, you must have just missed me, I was working from home but went out for a late lunch and took the dog for a walk.

Thanks again!

Nice work Gav. Is that an electro-galv steel channel section you're using (has that 'splangled' look in the photos)?

The original uprights on mine are aluminium, so soft and easily distorted, steel sections would be an improvement.

Edited by gilltech

Glad to be of assistance mate , you do a lot of work for the site so it's just a small window of opportunity for me to say thanks .

By the way the bike spokes can be used for your retainers , all you have to do is get them threaded up on the opposite end you should be able to get the nuts for them at the stainless steel place in Victoria Rd Drummoyne . You can get thicker spokes from any major bike outlet .

Good luck with your efforts .

Regards : Alan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I imported a good used grille from the US - Noticed I put the brackets on backwards at the bottom of mine.. Ooops..

Anyway I have some spare slats left over and the spokes that Alan gave me, I don't feel right putting it on eBay when Alan was kind enough to give them to me for free. So just wondering if anyone is in need of misc grille parts to fix their own grille by any chance?

I can post photos of the spare bits when I get a chance, but rather move them on than have them get damaged in my storage.

Maybe you have other knick knacks to swap in exchange?

IMG_20171016_221644.jpg

Nice work Gav , looks the goods . Would suggest you pull it apart & hand strip the paint don't get them sand blasted as the metal is to thin to take the punishment . I know !!!.

With lots of VODKA! . lol.

Regards : Alan.