Importing A Car Just Got A Lot Harder

smugley

Yep, I wouldn't risk bringing in a 'driver' now but instead would strip it to a 'roller' with brake pads & shoes & clutch parts discarded, interior stripped and any product such as insulation to floor, firewall, headlining, wiring wrap, sound deadening, underseal etc removed/discarded. Gearbox etc sitting in the boot, & all cavities exposed to enable inspection without damage & destruction.

At least then I suppose the 'landed value' would be reduced meaning that less tax would be payable. But the whole 'asbestos' awareness is steadily ramping up thanks to reported non-Aus-compliant building products imported from China where as I understand it asbestos is not illegal & small percentage quantities of asbestos contained within products are not required to be documented.

Edited by gilltech

Hmmm, I think it is another example of what plagues this country. I call it "professional corruption" where extreme measures and procedures are used to bolster the tin pot department or business and they are extending their brief from refugees to asbestos. Think in their early days the Nazis had the "brownshirts".

A recent arrival from South Africa, is bringing his 260Z with him, it has now arrived, they have already told him to source Australian sold front and rear bake pads/shoes, he contacted me, knowing I had plenty left over from Group S spec stuff, got him sorted.

He has an appointment tomorrow with AQIS, for the cars approval,

He has not been told whether he has to strip the engine ( gaskets, esp head gasket) and clutch plate.

He has had his customs broker tell him that in last two months, AQIS have demanded cars be dismantled and parts relinquished, before cars are released. These were USA cars.

His broker is not sure about a Japanese car, especially one that is sold cer, new, and there is an accepted spare parts supply for the Japanese cars as sold here.

He'll let me know on Tuesday, what transpires,,,,,

Well I feel sorry for the govt "persons" who lie awake at night thinking this crap up, and actually think they are doing a good job at protecting us poor lowly not very smart australian citizens from ourselves, how misguided can it get?

• Administrators

I heard it was due to imported asbestos building materials that now everything being imported is being checked for it. 

Speaking with a Mate today who had a couple painters spatula's delivered from Germany.

He needed to get a letter from the manufacturer stating there was no asbestos In the wooden handle.

Michael, have they been inspecting them, and any partial dismantling?

The guy with the 260, has been told to bring equipment to allow inspectors to test.

Maybe different department? Your pallet would have been LCL, and in a bond store.

Rolling stock, whole containers, may go elsewhere?

The South African guy is a bit concerned!

Not dismantling. My engine (U20) came in a container with vehicles as habe all the parts i have imported. It all got inspected as you would expect and this time my engine got cleaned as it had heavy grease staining and some dirt on it. It's going to be customs officer specific though, as you'd expect, and all the suspension bits i got in a previous shipment were heavily soiled with dirt but got through on other shipments. In the brief discussion we had, the guy said the customs inspectors that inspect the cars seem to be interested in brake pads etc and maybe gaskets but they have not had any dismantling done yet. I wonder if the Ferrari story involves a little Schaudenfreude and officers with a chip on their shoulder. Time will tell and hopefully some commonsense prevails.

• 7 months later...
  • Administrators

It's all a bit silly and knee jerk reaction really.. it will however mean that cars already here will command a premium because of the nightmares associated with importation.

• Administrators

Yet home invading jewelry thieving gang members are ok.

Weird ain't it? A bit like money laundering into Real Estate no problem?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-13/should-australias-anti-money-laundering-laws-be-extended/8703354

But import a few gaskets with Asbestos in them (cause you know that's how they were made back then) and suddenly you're in deep shyte...#Straya!