Advice On 240Z Aircon Compressor

lance240

Hi all,

I am very new to this forum (joined today), and Im seeking advice on a replacement compressor for my 240z with factory delivered aircon. The auto electrician I am using to overhaul the aircon says that the original compressor brand/type can no longer be sourced. Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand/type of compressor that could be used as a replacement (noting mounting points would need to be the same).

Regards

Lance

• Administrators

Hi Lance,

I've heard of Vintage Air as 1 supplier (although their website doesn't mention Nissan/Datsun's).

http://www.vintageair.com/index.asp

See also:

http://www.viczcar.com/member-rides/warren-gilberts-76-260z-rb25det-conversion

The air-con system is a real bonus, I bet in Western Australian heat you have no regrets? Has this made the Z much more comfortable? Do you / could you use it as a regular grocery getter?

I feel the heat terribly, I NEED Air Con! I'm happy to sacrifice a smidgeon of power to have it. The car had the stock factory A/C, but never worked that well, and was a maze of wires, vaccum lines & Actuators. I was SO excited when I discovered the Vintage Air System. It fitted in beautifully and have managed to minimise the under bonnet visual impact that A/C systems usually have. It is fully fitted however isn't wired & gassed yet, as I have been waiting to get a whole bunch of wiring tasks all done at the same time. I'm sure its going to work a treat though, as the Z cabin is so small.

Hi Lance ,

I kitted my 240 out with AC a couple of summers ago. which compressor do you have, Diesel Kiki, Hitachi or something else?

i think realistically you would have to throw away the whole bracket and pulley setup and get a new one from the USA or a later model L series powered car.

The US companies mention fitting a Sanden Style compressor which is just a chinese version of a quality Japanese compressor. The chinese one would probably be ok but by the time you ship a cheap compressor from the US you may as well buy the best. I think i paid $450 for a Sanden compressor from Ashdown Ingram.

The bracket i acquired randomly bolted to the L series engine but didn't have any pulley system so I welded up some bits and pieces to get it to work.

If i was to do it again and didn't stumble across the random bracket i found . I think i would buy the bracket only from the US, get it here and source the rest locally . the US bracket has adjustment in it already.

the Sanden Compressor is a SD7H15 these can run a cool room on a catering truck , are compact and look the part.

I have attached a pic of mine

post-101122-0-78405600-1493806240_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gtv240z

Thanks for the advice guys. Car is in with auto electrician at the moment so I don't have brand of compressor that's coming out. He has sourced a Sanden style compressor but is chasing up contacts to have a bracket made up to fit.

CraigZ - I liked the pic of yours. Do you know where your bracket came from (supplier/model)? I have an L28 in my engine bay

cheers

i noticed a 1980s bluebird at a wreckers once that was much simpler ,that would be my guess . al the other factory ones have these heavy cast things that are aweful. i have got plenty of those even an NOS one

280zx could be a possibility ....

• 4 weeks later...

I have been looking into this recently and i have been researching these.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/12v-dc-air-conditioner-compressor-for_60307781163.html

They are made for like cold storage transport for trucks and so forth. The Prius also uses a similar thing and seem to be readily available on eBay and at the wreckers?

Could mount it in the engine bat right up front with the condenser and you would never see it? 

I have been looking into this recently and i have been researching these.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/12v-dc-air-conditioner-compressor-for_60307781163.html

They are made for like cold storage transport for trucks and so forth. The Prius also uses a similar thing and seem to be readily available on eBay and at the wreckers?

Could mount it in the engine bat right up front with the condenser and you would never see it? 

That's an interesting little unit. Very flexible in its operation. They don't give the size of the inverter box, does not look to big in the photos though.

You would need to exercise caution with the compressor power supply as 380v DC (high speed) split phase will give you a nasty jolt. You would want to secure the compressor properly with it being 4.5 kg.

R134a is a much better gas than the current new alternatives also.

Jeff