More Gearknob Inserts

gav240z

• Administrators

Ok going to let this thread build a while to make sure we can capture as much demand as possible. I don't want to speak too soon, but we may be able to get the next batch made using a slightly more durable resin so going to have to prototype it to see how it turns out.

• Administrators

Insert looks good but where to find a suitable knob? Anyone have a spare they want to sell me?

I know you got 1, but eBay US (4 speed knobs) best place to get them cheap.

Not sure I'll be getting those made, but sure if others have interest perhaps we can see what kind of demand there is?

Hey Gav would it be worth while starting a new thread "Red Gear Knob Inserts for 260Z's"?

I am not sure what years the 260Z came with the red gear knob inserts, do you know? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Administrators

Are you holding a couple of these for me Gav?

Did I not post them out to you? If not that's ok I probably do have them somewhere in a bag with my own collection.

Can get more anyway from the looks of things.

• Administrators

??? So how many have you supplied now Gav? Dozens? Why are so many people needing them?

Some missed out in the first couple of rounds, lots of folks in North America wanted them (because they had 4 speed buttons only). I gave a bunch to a friend in San Francisco and he's been slowly selling them for me over there. In return I've used the cash to help buy some parts over there and he will help ship back some panels this way at some point.

I am surprised by how much demand there is actually. I think a few people grabbed a couple because we had the disclaimer that the resin may not hold up over a long period of time and may crack like the originals so people wanted spares?

Sold a few to Lindsay at Zshop a while ago also, so I guess more and more people are trying to go original these days?

• Administrators

I didn't realise they degraded.

Well that's what we were told by the trophy maker, as to how long they will last in the real world I have no idea. Hence why they were sold as cheap as they were.

• Administrators

They'll degrade in the sunlight I guess...... So they'll last ages for us, given they hardly see the light of day!  :P

Shoot me details Gav and I'll pay you

I was on my phone last time I replied so always hard to go into detail, but I believe the Resin tends to "shrink" over time and that leads to the cracking. I believe this new lot have a better Resin, and are a little more expensive to produce, but we really have no idea about longevity (since we haven't tested them long term in an automotive environment).

Thing is, I bought an aftermarket reproduction knob w/button from ZCarDepot in the US for around $100 USD.

Comparison here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/15775-gearknob-inserts/?p=189382

But have no idea what kind of resin they used...we just decided to let folks know as a disclaimer and charge a small amount so nobody can complain if they do fail. :).

I will put you down on the list, but only will take money once the package has arrived and I can confirm I have them in stock :P

I think you kept them because I had the lamp to collect. All good Gav. I'm about as far from needing them as possible. Haha

Found this last night and yes the buttons are with your Koito lamp. :)