More Gearknob Inserts

gav240z

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Got mine today Gav!

I was wondering if there is a correct orientation for the insert as my gear knob didn't have one when I purchased it.

Thanks again!

I just screw the knob onto the shaft (hehe) and align the map so it looks straight in position and glue it down when fitted to the car.

By the way I hope everyone has received theirs by now?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

A couple of pictures with the intalled insert. The plastic chrome was stuffed so I peeled the remainder off and primed and coated with chrome paint. I made the mistake of using a clear coat which made it look like aluminium. The wood was oiled over a couple of weeks to close up the gaps as the wood expanded then finished with  Birchwood Casey "true oil" which is used on rifle stocks and dries hard. This can be left glossy or rubbed with 0000 steel wool to get a dull finish. The insert was fitted using black silicone which when dry the excess can be rubbed off and it does not affect the resin in the insert of oiled finish on the wood. NOT ORIGINAL. But then neither is the insert.

Regards

David.

260z gearknob replacement insert

260z gearknob replacement insert profile

260z gearknob replacement insert 1

Still an expensive exercise but this appears the be the cheapest nos OEM 4 speed knob I could find.

http://www.thenismoshop.com/Nissan-Factory-OEM-Wooden-Shift-Knob-4-Speed-C2865-H9300--Nissan-Datsun-240Z_p_1640.html

I have got a used one coming from the US, hopefully it's a good one!

I bought a genuine 4-speed knob a while back. Unfortunately these are not identical to the original knobs in that the wooden section is wider and slightly higher. The metal base is also a different shape.

You can see these differences in this photo, showing an original knob on the left and the newer version on the right.

post-101663-0-55326500-1498403031_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I sent a bunch to the US for sale over there (MOAR PROFITS!) but if a few of you want or need 1 here I may be able to get some posted back here? Just let me know how many. Price will be a little higher as cost of US->AUD postage is high. But let me know how many interested parties there are?

I sent a bunch to the US for sale over there (MOAR PROFITS!) but if a few of you want or need 1 here I may be able to get some posted back here? Just let me know how many. Price will be a little higher as cost of US->AUD postage is high. But let me know how many interested parties there are?

Worth getting more made and selling them for the site?

• Administrators

Worth getting more made and selling them for the site?

Depends on demand here? I felt like the last run I had exhausted local demand. So a show of hands and quantity would help get the ball rolling again.

• 3 weeks later...