What Did You Do On Your Z Today?

Ponyo240z

Decided I'll be refitting the factory air filter housing. Just wasn't happy with certain aspects of running pod filters. Crankcase ventilation and carburetor overflow being the main two. 

Going to need a coat of paint. Not sure what colour yet. 

IMG_20180715_134133.thumb.jpg.bd87c817351ab58b73f8dc79dca2c2c1.jpg

14 hours ago, chris240 said:

French blue....   is your rocker painted ? Looks immaculate 

Mmmmm. French blue. OK. Wasn't thinking along those lines. I was only considering something boring like black. Lol

Yea, the rocker cover came from ebay. Picked it up a few years ago, some shop from the Sunshine Coast. Just appeared, so I thought why not. 

20150409_124322.thumb.jpg.10db47dd094d4bfe05ba17e8c74950c4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch... Yeah the wallet will take a hit Kato.

Fun....Yes Mick that’s the plan, staying N/A...BUT.  There’s no replacement for displacement 

Jeff that’s my wife said, wait till she sees the bill;D

Check out the cracks in the oil pump case.  

D669F982-A20B-4B74-8FB5-80686FC601C5.jpeg

3 hours ago, Riceburner said:

Scored some Nissan special service tools off Le eBay. Hopefully it makes valve adjustments easier I always find it a touchy job.

3 hours ago, gav240z said:

Which part of slicing open your knuckles don't you like?

I think you guys may be doing it wrong... :-\

Edited by Lurch

17 hours ago, Lurch said:

I think you guys may be doing it wrong... :-\

I’m sure I am, with the tool I should only risk cuts on one hand now!

17 hours ago, Lurch said:

Today I fitted a Thermo fan.
#NotMyDatsun

IMG_20180731_171940834.jpg

How does it attach to the dimple plate, did you weld studs on it?

• Administrators

VHT engine enamel cast alloy.

I needed 2 cans, 1 for each side of the tray (3 coats on each side). It does recommend using a primer, but I didn't use 1. So we shall see how well it holds up.

I did however use deoxidine and scotch brite pad to scuff all the surface rust that got on it (since I had sandblasted it) and went over it with a wax and grease remover before I painted it. I also used a heat gun to help set the paint between coats - since it was winter and cold out and paint generally dries better above 20 degrees.

Being an engine enamel it tends to set properly after heat cycles too apparently.

It's not as perfect as it looks, you can see dents in it etc.. and I tried to straighten it out best I could. It is after all an undertray and will likely get 'whacked' again.

I have a couple of these for each car (getting hard to find) - hopefully the others are in better shape than this 1 was.. the 1 on my 71 has taken a bit of a beating, but should panel beat straight again. 

Edited by gav240z
added more details.

• Administrators

So a while back I put the wrong size globes in my 72 240z instruments and the additional heat caused the green diffuser to warm up enough that it fell into the gauge housing. They are originally melted into place from the factory. The little green tabs go into a hole and I guess the line worker would melt the ends and that was that.

This meant that my gauge lit up white, not green. So at the time I just bought another gauge off eBay and installed it. Only problem is, the fuel gauge calibration is off. It's annoying to say the least. I have some idea on how to re-calibrate them, but this gauge is in great shape and is original to the car.

I tired to use araldite at first to glue it in, but it was a mess and it just didn't harden correctly. I think being a 2 part epoxy it might not mix well in small amounts. I was worried further attempts would leave me with glue on the dial faces (by accident) so I decided not to do that.

Instead I pulled out this Bondic stuff (not cheap) but basically I just dabbed 2 little glue blobs onto the green diffuser and then used the pen which hardens the glue. Seems to have worked really well. So well I think I'll use it for the lens, front diffuser and housing when I pull them apart. I need to repaint the front black diffuser as paint has chipped off with age and polish the lens (which can only be removed once the glued in diffuser is removed.

Bit of a pain, but I figured it was a tip worth sharing as it seems to have worked well.

Demo of Bondic below.

IMG_20180805_194530.jpg

IMG_20180805_194542.jpg

IMG_20180805_194701.jpg

IMG_20180805_194708.jpg

IMG_20180805_194712.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Fitted the new passenger side door belt, only about 9 months after the driver's side.. 

Reused the original metal belt that holds the rubber in place and original staples, bit of metal polish on the chrome while it was apart too. Happy days.

I've got a glass polishing kit to try out next, anyone attempted it? 

20180904_174033.jpg