Project 51 In 907 Green

• Administrators

Hi Folks,

I figure it's about time to let the cat out of the bag on this 1 officially. It was somewhat hinted at the other day by Peter in the 72 240z build thread. However I did have a couple of others question me about it before as I was a little bit cheeky and placed a reference to it in my forum signature and was wondering how long it would take people to ask about it.

It's probably 1 of the worst kept secrets going around, as I had told a few people "offline" about it and the only reason to keep it on the down low was that I wanted to have some progress being made on it before announcing it. Well as Mick Jagger says "you can't always get what you want."

So project 51 is in reference to it's VIN #. The car is HS30 00051 and it's 907 Green in colour, matching number engine and it's mostly complete original and free from a major bust up (accident), since it's a very early AU market car, it has the Nissan 2400 OHC valve cover, 71A gearbox, twin choke console, vented hatch, no storage bins etc.. 

A good thing about early AU market cars is that unlike the L24's produced in late 1969 that has the counterweight issues-which were later revised. The HS30's didn't receive the early L24's with these harmonic issues (well apart from HS30 0004 - which may have been 2 engine numbers before the change over).

So anyway, you might be thinking this sounds like a great project? Truth is, my first reaction upon seeing her on a rotisserie in a garage was "Oh no.. I can't take this on." But let me show you the car first and I'll continue the waffle after.

Start with the basics. It's nice to have so many leading 0's :D

IMG_20150726_154126.jpg

Still got the factory colour code sticker.

IMG_20150726_154057.jpg

L24 engine no.

IMG_20150726_155446.jpg

Nissan 2400 OHC cover (expensive on their own these days!)

IMG_20150726_155433.jpg

E31 code head.

IMG_20150726_155453.jpg

Chassis plate confirming no.s match.

IMG_20150726_155505.jpg

IMG_20150726_155453.jpg

• Administrators

The radiator support areas are very straight as the car has never had a front end shunt.

IMG_20150726_154109.jpg

IMG_20150726_154115.jpg

The only evidence of previous accident damage is the driver side rear 1/4 panel.

IMG_20150726_153946.jpg

A couple of folks may have seen me hunting for rear 1/4 panels, and this is 1 of the reasons why, the ones on the Safari Gold project are actually very good, but on this car could be better.

Still has it's factory front fenders with fender mirror holes in place.

IMG_20150726_154137.jpg

Interestingly the roof on this car was quite bad (no sunroof) but quite a bit of rust. So it came with a complete roof turret as a donor.

IMG_20150726_154720.jpg

IMG_20150726_154514.jpg

It also came with a rear beaver/valance section in near mint condition.

Radiator support is mostly solid, but has a couple of rust spots in it.

IMG_20150726_154308.jpg

Upper rust spot.

IMG_20150726_154244.jpg

IMG_20150726_171230.jpg

• Administrators

So here is some of the more nasty rusty parts.

Sills and dog legs are bad.

IMG_20150726_154648.jpg

Window pillars

IMG_20150726_154631.jpg

Wheel house is in the dog house ;) (Tabco makes these though!)

IMG_20150726_154655.jpg

Slam panel area has seen better days.

IMG_20150726_153833.jpg

Tyre well is "rooned" but I have another spare with 0 rust. However it may be easier to repair existing section rather than undo spot welds and replace entire tub.. We shall see.

IMG_20150726_171249.jpg

Battery tray isn't completely toast but not great either.

IMG_20150726_154418.jpg

Boot floor you can see is dead straight.

IMG_20150726_171217.jpg

IMG_20150726_171201.jpg

• Administrators

More misc photos of areas of concern or parts..

Floors are fairly solid, apart from a couple of spots. So wouldn't warrant ripping out the old ones completely. Instead better to patch them. (Frame rails are incredible straight and not beaten up). You can see the original exhaust system.

IMG_20150726_171628.jpg

Floor rust cut out section.

IMG_20150802_171950.jpg

Boot floor is a bit rough in this area though!

IMG_20150802_171802.jpg

Lower radiator support.

IMG_20150726_171455.jpg

Firewall rust.

IMG_20150726_171422.jpg

Roof rust is pretty bad in this area.

IMG_20150726_171335.jpg

Floors are mostly solid.

IMG_20150726_171109.jpg

IMG_20150726_171027.jpg

Little bit rough here.

IMG_20150726_171129.jpg

Bonnet is actually pretty good apart from some dings.

IMG_20150726_160923.jpg

• Administrators

Hatch is not original but in "ok" shape - bit of rust on underside.

IMG_20150726_161159.jpg

Not great photos of the doors, but they have some rust in the lower section, but really not that bad. Skins can probably be saved.

IMG_20150726_161052.jpg

Fiberglass headlight scoops still present.

IMG_20150726_160948.jpg

Original metal fan.

IMG_20150726_160526.jpg

Quite a few boxes that look like this..

IMG_20150726_155424.jpg

It has the original 71A gearbox and R180 3.9 diff.

IMG_20150726_155558.jpg

I took a photo of this but (Vince) the previous owner kept it for his own car. I do however had a few of these radio's.

IMG_20150726_155944.jpg

Sadly this is the MOST complete photo I have of #51, Vince didn't have many photos of it before he took it apart. As you can see the 907 Green was painted over by the previous owner (before Vince, his name was Martin DeSilva). Vince and I joked that maybe Martin was trying to preserve it like Jam, since it was hand brushed paint.

I have the receipt showing that Vince paid the princely sum of $1,200 for this car back 2001? I think..

Z SHED 002.jpg

And here is a good photo of an AU market 240z with the early style fender mirrors. By some miracle of Zeus this could actually be the same car? But I have no way to verify it. Still there cannot be too many early 240z's in 907 green used in promotional advertising that were early cars. So I like to think it is indeed the same car.

IMG (2).jpg

• Moderators

Hi Mate

Looks like a great starting point, in surprising good shape for an early girl.

Looking forward to eventually seeing it for real.

Cheers

PB

• Administrators

Not much has happened since I got the car, in fact we can actually determine when I acquired it because that's around the date I started the "Early Girl Bingo" thread on here.  Mainly because suddenly I had a horse in this race and I was curious to know what's left and how many lower # 240z's in Australia I could find that were matching #'s and original. I say this with a bit of a smirk, but thankfully not many!

I always hold hope I'll find a few more early early 240z's like sub #50 chassis no. cars but so far I keep turning out later cars and I'm actually shocked so many have survived.

Vince was kind enough to drive the car to Victoria when picking up another car and here's a photo of her before the trip and on the road..

download_20161118_131047.jpg

15094345_10154243965428337_582770119444507193_n.jpg

As mentioned the car was mostly complete in that all the original bits were there, a couple of exceptions were:

a.) The original steering wheel (solid spoke) because a sports wheel was fitted. I've since restored 1 I got while I was in the US. Although I feel the restoration job was not as good as the first 1 I did, perhaps because I rushed a little this time?

IMG_20170127_201641.jpg

b.) The flat style AU market fender mirrors. - I visited Len Brennan yesterday and collected these off him. They were on his first 240z back in 1970.

IMG_20170309_164539.jpg

Very rare to find now, so happy to have them and will put them on this car.

c.) #51 didn't have the Topy steel wheels or hubcaps, because it appears to have been re-fitted with peanut style alloys at some point. Which I actually quite like and will probably polish up and fit or rotate between these and the original steelies.

IMG_20150726_155535.jpg

I have a set of "early fewer tab, D caps" but not the Topy steel wheels yet.

I'd say it's got 95% of the important early "240z" parts and features still with it, there is some bits and pieces missing. I might be missing a tail lamp, front turn signals, window regulator on driver side(?), and I'm sure other little bits and pieces but most of that stuff is still accessible and wasn't specific to the very early cars.

• Administrators

Hi Mate

Looks like a great starting point, in surprising good shape for an early girl.

Looking forward to eventually seeing it for real.

Cheers

PB

Haha, yes good shape.. I guess it could be worse. It's good it was in storage for the past 15-17 years and not on the road I suppose. It's sort of prevented it getting worse. I'm sure you'll get to see it at some point. Still got to transport the engine and gearbox down to reunite them!

• Administrators

So you may be wondering how does 1 find an early 240z or how did I manage to get hold of this car? Well interestingly when you've been in the S30Z scene for some 17 odd years you start to build a network of contacts and people you know and what they have / don't have. Vince told me about this car a while ago and said he was thinking of selling it. I was busy with #150 so I made a mental note of it and thought it sounded like a great car and project but I simply didn't have the time and 2 240z's were enough for any man.

So around August 2015, Vince calls me and invites me around to take a look at this car and offer my opinion on it and what it might be worth etc.. When I first saw it, I said to myself "don't take on another, this needs a lot of work etc..".

I actually brought my partner Maria along with me and before I got there I said "now don't let me do anything silly". Well after I saw it and thought I can't really take it on, as much as I'd like to. My partner said to me. "I think you should buy it". Well if I was in Z rehab before that and going through remission, after hearing that, well...I regressed and was back to bad habits :).

Vince and I came to an agreement on price and then I started plotting what the hell I was going to do to get this car done. A few phone calls and I had decided I'd outsource the bodywork, since as much as I love to do the work myself. I had to be realistic and outsource work on this car to get her done. Well... as somewhat expected she's on a waiting list for now and I'm fine with that too!

To me the important thing is I have the car, it might take me 2 years or 20 but it will be done someday and it will be as original as I can make it as a sort of time capsule example. Although there is likely to be far better investments out there in terms of ROI etc.., I kind of view this car as a form of investment. At least that's what I told myself when I bought it, the reality is it's hard to see me ever selling it or any of my S30Z's. So it's not really an investment if you never intend to sell is it? Interestingly watching prices go up since I got it, it has actually been a sort of speculative investment, but I'm wary about classic car values in general and the bull market around them lately and wouldn't be surprised if at some point they normalise or undergo a correction. But that's another topic..

Full disclaimer of course, but I'm bullish on S30Z values because I've got skin in the game as you can see. :D

Money and investments aside (because it was never really about that), my real focus at this point is the other 2 240z's, but when I see a part I need for this car I grab it and if there is something I can do or a part I can work on for this car in my spare time I do it. In the interim my panel beating skills are slowly improving and I may get involved with the bodywork at some point depending on how things go and how long this waiting list is. But I'm conscious also of over-burdening myself.

My original intention was to keep this car a bit of a mystery on the forum and as it progressed I was happy to sit back and watch folks speculate as to who might own it, just for a bit of fun. But now the cats out the bag, just happy to share the news and give people a deeper look at another early car that will eventually be saved and turned around. Just don't expect much progress in the near term.

• Administrators

So you started a bingo competition when you already had one of the winning numbers huh?

Congratulations!

LOL, yes - although I didn't know that at the time. I just knew if I didn't jump on this car that I'd regret it later, even if in the short term it would sting my wallet and cause me a few sleepness nights (it really did).

Much awesomeness Gav, so stoked for you!

I was going to say when I started reading but you beat me to it in the end....outsourcing the bodywork is the way to go, financially it may be a struggle but to do justice to the car its nearly a must. 

Good luck, will be watching and along for the ride with you.

David

I've made the phonecall Gav - the men in white coats will be around soon as you're clearly mental to take on a third project Z ha ha ha.

Jokes aside congratulations and I know you'll do it justice!

Did you track the ownership history of it?

The former ( very long ago!) President of the Datsun Drivers Club , which became Nissan Datsun Drivers Club, in Sydney, which owned the lease to the Colo Park motorsport complex, and was a club mainly running dirt events, and a few circuit events,

It was the go-to club if you wanted to participate in competition!

The NDDC ran the original Datsun Nationals, that encompassed all models of Datsuns

George Sosimenko, was Presidentfor many years, bought new, one of the very first 970 Green cars to arrive.

I'm still in contact with George!

• Administrators

Hey Jason,

No I haven't managed to really go further back than Martin DeSilva, I'd love to find more info on it, if at all possible. Vince also regrets not trying to track down more info on the car. But back when he bought it, these were not that desirable as I mentioned he paid $1,200 for it. It was sitting under a tree for quite a while I suspect, which is why it's rusty in odd places up top and the floors are solid in comparison for example. Apparently it was on a council estate in Dundas Valley NSW.

Vince reckons even though it had never had an oil change, it still ran sweet as a nut and he would drive it up and down the driveway to keep the motor running etc.. before it was taken apart for restoration.

Any chance you could reach out to George and ask him if he's aware of the car or it's potential history or even has some leads on where to possibly look or ask about it?

He cant recall the vin number, but said it was ne of the first green ones in.

They lived at Doonside/Toongabbie, we often had club committee meetings there in the early '80's

The family daily was a 120Y wagon, fitted with an A14, along with a Homer truck

Very nice Gav and stocked for you.

Nothing like having a few balls in the air at one time. It actually does not look to bad but photos don't always tell the full story.

It's already a good build thread and it's just started.

Jeff

• Administrators

Great story so far, let the fun begin. 

907 green with all the stainless and chrome polished up will look sensational!

I've found quite a few cars I really like in the old 907 Green.

https://goo.gl/photos/LdN9LBLf4h3x4TU56

Very nice Gav and stocked for you.

Nothing like having a few balls in the air at one time. It actually does not look to bad but photos don't always tell the full story.

It's already a good build thread and it's just started.

Jeff

There's a "that's what she said" joke in there somewhere. :D You're correct though it's not too bad (it's all relative isn't it?), Vince asked me if I thought that by him pulling it apart he had ruined the value of it.

I said on the 1 hand yes, because it's hard to see what's missing and know that it's all there, but on the other hand I said, at least this way I don't think I'll find too many more surprises stripping the paint back.

Since it already came with a roof turret, rear beaver/valance section, decent bonnet, guards are ok and doors etc.. the worst part really is the rear 1/4 panels. Not long ago I was bidding on some early S30Z rear 1/4 panels - NOS (solid with no vent hole etc.) on Yahoo! Auctions but from memory they went up to $5k AUD and I decided to let them go.

However it sounds like a lot of coin, but I figured that was at least 1/3 of the car taken care of in terms of rust repair. The rear quarters will get whipped off during restoration anyway and we'll see if it makes sense to source better ones or repair what we've got.

Since it sat under a tree that's why I think the roof got rusty (leaves and debris) probably held water etc.. So it's kind of odd where it's rusted out. The sills are pretty stuffed, but again tabco makes aftermarket pieces. If at all possible and I can find them, I'll try and use NOS panels.

On a positive note (if there is any when you own multiple income draining devices) the fact that I've got a few of these cars means I have spares floating around. So they will all get put to good use. The radiator was already re-cored but I didn't want to use it the Safari Gold car, it's a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul. So I'm trying not to swap stuff amongst the cars unless I'm stuck.

At some point I'll have to buy my own place with a large enough parcel of land to build a decent garage or a large garage already on it etc.. That's proving a little more difficult than I'd like though.

So like I say, I do think this project is going to take me a while as much as I'd like it to happen quicker I just have to be patient.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank George for finding HS30 00019, since I dodged that bullet. If I had of found that car I would have gone through with restoring it, not sure I would have managed it like George has. :).

Having 1 project is hard enough, engaging in 3 is another level of being busy and maybe crazy but, you have 1 rego'd and driving so no need to rush.

No doubt it's gone to a good home, best of luck with the progress.

I think you plan on outsourcing some of the work? Who's going to do the body work?

• Administrators

The bodywork will be done by a competent boiler maker / welder who is well known to this forum. I'll let him announce himself, but right now his schedule is full up. So it's in storage until he can take it on.

It is a significant workload with 2-3 project cars, hence why I don't plan to rush things. It's also why I decided to keep my engine build on #150 very modest. I also have told myself, NO MORE CARS! :). At least not until I own a warehouse or something to store them all in.