Gearknob Inserts

Enzo

post-100130-0-37333400-1485757466_thumb.jpgpost-100130-0-05641500-1485757500_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

I was looking on the web for Datsun 5 speed gearknob pattern inserts without any luck to fit to a stainless steel knob that I turned up on the lathe. I had shortened the lever and wanted a heavy knob without having to buy one. I have an original gearknob but the shift pattern insert was cracked. I took a photo of the original and got one of our local stores to tidy it up with computer imaging and make me a demo unit. I'm happy with the outcome. I'll post a picture when I attach it to the stainless steel knob tonight. 

David (Enzo).

Hi,

Local trophy store. They make the inserts for the medals. I got this one done to see how it would turn out using the standard resin as commonly used on trophies. He did a good job resizing from a picture and made it 27mm in diameter which was as close as I could measure on my original knob.

To do it properly they would have to use a harder resin which is quite expensive but would not scratch as easy and last longer. I intend to get a few extras made in the softer resin to check his quality control and then get a quote for the hard resin inserts. New stainless steel knob weighs 480gms.

IMG 1390

IMG 1389

Edited by Enzo

• Administrators

Very cool, never thought of going to a Trophy store! I'm sure you could sell these, member "Taylor" made a few also a while ago and I got a couple from him.

Keep yearning Ian. That's something I can't organise. :o

I'm waiting on a quote from the supplier to do the inserts in hard resin. I was thinking of making them available for the four speed box as well but it depends on overall cost of the project. 

It's not like everyone with a stuffed original knob wants an insert. I originally just wanted one for the new Stainless Steel  knob I turned up on the Lathe but I got excited. ;)

George, I will keep you in mind. By the way. "Great work on your car. Keep up the good work".

David.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Moved this thread to "interior" section as I couldn't find it before. :).

I received a bag of these today from David for dispersal to the group.

photo_2017-03-13_11-57-31.jpg

They look pretty good, although as David says they may not last long term.

• Administrators

No problem, I just want to reserve a couple for some Fairlady Z owners I know in North America also if that's ok with David?

Otherwise happy to doll them out, will keep a couple for my self as backup's.

• Administrators

Ok so I have 20.

1x Mossy

2x George

2x Dionysus

2x Triptych

5x gav240z (2 for myself, 3 for North American Fairlady Z owners).

Total = 12.

8 left.

First in best dressed I guess.

@David - Do you think we could get more made? I think these will be popular even with the disclaimer that they may not hold up long..

• Administrators

and then there was 3... haha.

Hi Gav,

I will order some more today.

Regards

David

Thanks mate, I think it would be fair to charge what they cost you though. Happy to doll them out for what they have cost you to produce. They do look much nicer than I expected.

• Moderators

Hi

I justed wanted to acknowledge the generosity of David (Enzo) in donating this first batch to fellow forum members.

This type of completely selfless behaviour is all to rare in todays modern world, but thankfully is still present among the members of this forum.

Feelng good about the world.

PB