1969 240Z Hs30-00415

danrace260

• Administrators

Sweet another 1 to add to the register.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/13773-early-girl-bingo-with-photos/

From member Stavros.

I bought her off a bloke in Port Melbourne in 1995...not sure how long he owned her for, but the car had spent some of it's life in East Gippsland I think, as the 71A box which was in it must have been replaced or re-built, as it had 'Bairnsdale' written on it. It also looked as if the car spent much time on dirt roads, judging by the volumes of dust on the underbody. It also had one of those 'Mountain Cattlemen care for the high country' stickers on the front bumper, which I promptly removed!

At some stage before my time with her, she was re-sprayed 905 red, but was originally 907 Green. She originally had the optional front and rear spoilers, but the front one had long gone by the time I bought her, and I removed the rear. Also had 5 slot Samson Engineering Magnums. Unfortunately it had an un-original L24, with an E88 head and the original early carbs. The rest of the car was pretty much original except for a missing radio and new floors. It was well in need of a full resto by the time I sold her in 2002. I actually sold it to Smugley, who passed it onto Rex Carr in much the same condition in about 2005. I've tried to search for her over the years on the net, but haven't been able to find any trace...

Christmas seems to always bring out S30Z's for sale.

• Administrators

That's my old car !

Non matching numbers if anyone wants to know .

It was in need of floors and a gearbox rebuild when I sold it , but otherwise a fairly original car .

Good luck with the sale .

Cheers Doug

Not interested in buying it back? Nostalgia and all that?

• Administrators

Most HS30's were NOT made in 1969, I suspect this car is a very late 1970 (December) based on chassis no. A lot of Australian S30Z owners over the years were under the impression that the first 240z's here were 1969 produced but that's not the case.

It's possible HS30 0003 was made in 1969 but since we haven't been able to find that car we haven't been able to check date stamps of parts on it.

It's likely that HS30 0004 was made in early 1970. Going by Engine number. In fact this car is 1 or 2 engine numbers away from the earlier crankshaft design issue they had with early L24's. Which almost all 1969 made 240z's had as an issue. Now it could be that it was made in 1969 but had to wait until 1970 to receive it's revised motor before getting shipped out to Australia for testing..but that's just a theory of mine.

HS30 00150 was made in September/October 1970. Compliance date was Nov 1970. So that should give you some idea.

Thanks for that info Gav! It almost sounds a little misleading to label this particular vehicle a 1969 model without evidence but this U.S site (http://zhome.com/History/69ZArticle.html) actually has a database of existing 1969 models in the states and there's a no. 415 that's listed on it which is believed to be a '69 model. Maybe American delivered Zeds were produced slightly earlier to Australian models? Anyway, until there's a photo of the compliance plate for this 240Z stating its build date, it shouldn't be (in my opinion) advertised as a '69 model.

• Administrators

I think when most advertise as 1969 model, it is out of ignorance not malicious intent.

Either way a low vin HS30 like this is very rare and this car appears to be relatively complete and original.

If you want an early 240z it is slim pickings in Australia for 1.

Thanks for that info Gav! It almost sounds a little misleading to label this particular vehicle a 1969 model without evidence but this U.S site (http://zhome.com/History/69ZArticle.html) actually has a database of existing 1969 models in the states and there's a no. 415 that's listed on it which is believed to be a '69 model. Maybe American delivered Zeds were produced slightly earlier to Australian models? Anyway, until there's a photo of the compliance plate for this 240Z stating its build date, it shouldn't be (in my opinion) advertised as a '69 model.

Yes USA market cars were made slightly earlier than Aus delivered cars (a lot earlier actually).

There were no such things as compliance plates in 1969, so photos aren't going to happen.

Looks like it's a late 1970 build November/December 1970

Edited by Mr Camouflage

• Administrators

Chassis 384 is Feb 71 so likely to be around this time

Compliance date, I assume you're referring to here? Which would make it a late 70 build (December).

• Administrators

Yeah I think a 2 month difference between build month and compliance plate is a good rule of thumb. Obviously only works for cars that had 1 fitted to begin with.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be guessing, that being Rex Carr's car, it may have had a bit of a hard drive or three, on a number of dirt roads.

His wife, Lyn, is a well known co-driver, for a number of tarmac and dirt rally folk.

It was Rex and Lyn that fell off the Mt Buller road, in a competion, in one of his other tarmac Z's, they ended up upside down in a creek.

Not sure if that 240Z was at all repairable.

Someone here may remember, it was quite some years ago!