L28 Efi Itb Build

aaronjo

Howdy guys!

New owner of a 240Z and while the body works getting done the engine needs a rebuild.

Looking at a complete ITB setup locally and so far have seen Otomotos OER setup and EFI hardware does a complete kit too.

Has anyone here used either before or is able to offer any feedback on them?

Or is there another kit available that's worth considering?

Cheers!

Aaron

Why not consider a regular triple Weber type manifold, get some bosses welded on top at an angle, for injector mounts, to point into backs of intakes, and just use three Weber or similar sidedraft carbs, purely for air control, with a TPS swung off one end.

Control the lot with aaftermarket ECU.

This has been done by a chapin Sydney, works very well!

The injectors on the EFI gear is a long way from the intakes.

I ran the EFI Hardware / Speed Tech. 45mm throttle body kit with a Kameari/Harada manifold on my old L24. 
Great bit of kit, well made & was easy to set up.
I know lots of other people using the EFi Hardware products with no issues or complaints.
1531584_267219700096078_592103607_n.jpg?

Edited by Lurch ™

I'm running efi hardware on my new engine that LCR are building. I decided to head in this direction for several reasons. Firstly they are a local (Australian) product, secondly a set became available at a convenient time and price, third I wanted the sound of triples and finally I have had quite a few cars with side draft carburettors over the years living at 600m above sea level and where winter temperatures drop to well below zero and summer temperatures eclipse 40 I was over the temperamental issues associated with carburation of this type in this environment. I want a car I can just start and drive summer or winter head to Thredbo or down the coast without the spitting and farting of webbers or similar.

A couple of shots they are a bit like the ones Lurch had.

post-103565-0-37905700-1465112539_thumb.jpeg

post-103565-0-71454900-1465112556_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'm similar to you Jeff in a sense, had a 69 Toyota Corolla KE10 fitted with bike carbs running on e85. Lovely car, pretty quick but very high maintenance. I tended to break it more than drive it...

Want to keep the build relatively period correct with a L28, sounds like carbies but with all the reliability of EFI.

Aaron

If you are looking at the building your own Racehead do a universal kit, They use to sell weld in injector mounts as well but I can't seem to find them on the website anymore. Unsure how good the quality is though as I haven't used them before.

http://racehead.com.au/products-page/throttle-body-sets/6cyl-itb-set-with-universal-linkage-mechanism/

Edited by Triptych

Pricey!

3 s/h Webers with manifold, and six x welded bosees plus injectors, less than half that!

Re the EFI homolgation omment, the FIA only homolgated the EFI setup as used on 280Z/280ZX, only that would be "period correct"

Its not a great setup, it needs a lt of internal work to get it running right for competition use.

Problem is I'm not all that good around mechanical stuff so I can't do it myself.

If there was someone who could make up what you recommended at half the price and still as reliable I've got cash waiting, lol!

Sucks not to be a professional race car builder...

Pricey!

3 s/h Webers with manifold, and six x welded bosees plus injectors, less than half that!

Re the EFI homolgation omment, the FIA only homolgated the EFI setup as used on 280Z/280ZX, only that would be "period correct"

Its not a great setup, it needs a lt of internal work to get it running right for competition use.

I recal that some of the works 240s ran fuel injection. Some with the cross flow head and a some without. It would have been for group 4 I think?

I'm convinced anyway :-).

Edited by CBR Jeff

• Administrators

Pricey!

A set of 3 Mikuni 44 carbs reconditioned would cost $3k at least now.

I recal that some of the works 240s ran fuel injection. Some with the cross flow head and a some without. It would have been for group 4 I think?

I'm convinced anyway :-).

There was certainly works rally cars and circuit cars in Japan fitted with mechanical fuel injection set up's. However I'm not sure what homologation rules apply if any. I think Alan (HS30-H) would probably be able to help there.