Best Method To Fit Nlr-132 Twin Fused Relay.

zeds4ever

As per title , have bought a New -Era NLR-132 fused 30A twin relay .

Hoping someone has already fitted one of these units for their 260Z S30 headlights & can assist me, as I am having problems with setting them up the correct way.

Regards : Alan.

• Moderators

Hi Alan,

I too have just purchased one of those relays. I have used them in plenty of cars over the years and they work well.

Have yet to fit it to the S30 but will let you know when I have.

They use a common 12V+ supply for both switched circuits and a common ground for both trigger circuits, which could make things interesting in the S30 as I think they have switched negatives for lights ?

Let me know if you want a hand, I owe you a favour or two.

Cheers

PB

Thanks for your response Peter , there's no hurry mate . Just need to know in the simplest of terms how to set it up properly .

The diag's they enclosed were a bit confusing for me & I don't want to stuff anything up just for the want of patience.

Will wait till I hear back from you.

By the way I've managed to lose my parking lights at the front. The neutrals are fine but not getting any supply to the active side. The rears are OK & of course the fuse link is OK. Got me stuffed ,

By the way I meant to mention that I replaced the 260Z Alternator with a 280ZX in that Tacho set up blog don't know if you did the same , also it is compatible with the S30 V/regulator.

• Moderators

Cool,

I need to sort out a charging issue in mine, then I will be attacking the lights.

could be a few weeks though, as the social schedule is about to get a bit busy.

Cheers

PB

Not sure this is the best option but this is how mine was done by the previous owner. I have since replaced the relay and done it the same way. It has worked well to date.

As PB mentioned, because the S30 lighting is -ve switched, you have to make a small modification to the relay. It really is pretty simple if you can solder, just snip the 2 coil wires close to where they are soldered to the chassis or body of the relay. Now solder on an 8" piece of wire to the ends of the 2 coil wires and route it out of the relay body, you can see how i did it in the pics attached as well as how to wire it up.

I hope this helps but let em know if you need more info.

Cheers

Mick

post-101810-0-58214800-1456657464_thumb.jpg

post-101810-0-53293800-1456657478_thumb.jpg

post-101810-0-98002300-1456657491_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cozza

• Moderators

Hi Mick, Alan

With the newer relays you don't need to mod them for -ve switch.

The relay does not earth the switching circuit through the relay chassis, it has a separate (6th) terminal for that. So supply +ve to the "S" terminal and let the exiting switched circuits in the car handle the closing.

Alan

I am more than happy to come for a run up to your place next weekend and give you a hand - the bus could do with the run.

post-102365-0-20090600-1456658032_thumb.jpeg

post-102365-0-93215400-1456658055_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for your response Mick , also to you Peter for the Diag's mate , it's a lot easier to comprehend than the info that came with relay unit . 

Peter thanks for your kind offer mate but I am going to hook it up in the next couple of days I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards: Alan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

G'day Peter I made up a test jig to a spare h/lght globe , worked fine so I will now install in car tomorrow. Many thanks.

Regards : Alan.

Hi Alan

How did your install go ?

I fitted the NLR-132 to my bus on Friday night - very happy with the result. I now have white head lamps.

Cheers

PB

Edited by PB260Z

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

About to make a start on this mod in the coming week..,Where are people buying their plugs from to fit the oem loom?

Hi

I cut the loom and transferred the plugs in mine.

Getting a set from a wreck was something I did consider.

Cheers

PB

• 4 years later...
On 3/13/2016 at 9:01 PM, PB260Z said:

Hi Alan

How did your install go ?

I fitted the NLR-132 to my bus on Friday night - very happy with the result. I now have white head lamps.

Cheers

PB

Hi PB, 

Have you got a photo or diagram of how you wired up this relay? I'm trying to fit one in my bus, but it keeps blowing the headlight fuses. 

I've tried with both stock and aftermarket headlights. 

I've got the following wires to the plugs.

Drivers side: RW, R and RB

Passengers side: RW, RY and RB

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

15 hours ago, manyu said:

Hi PB, 

Have you got a photo or diagram of how you wired up this relay? I'm trying to fit one in my bus, but it keeps blowing the headlight fuses. 

a relay probably wont stop you blowing fuses you need to fix the the wiring short that is causing it, the relay stops the the excessive voltage feeding back and cooking the headlight switch but also gives you full voltage at the light

Edited by Linton
sorry wrong relay setup

On 9/24/2020 at 6:30 PM, manyu said:

Hi PB, 

I'm happy to take a photo of mine, if you like. But as stated above, it probably won't solve the underlying issue. 

• Moderators
On 9/24/2020 at 6:30 PM, manyu said:

Hi PB, 

Hi

No, didn’t do a diagram and as I hav sold the car can’ get you any pictures either.

Sorry

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2020 at 10:03 AM, Linton said:

a relay probably wont stop you blowing fuses you need to fix the the wiring short that is causing it, the relay stops the the excessive voltage feeding back and cooking the headlight switch but also gives you full voltage at the light

I am aware a relay won't stop the fuses blowing, was just asking to see if anyone had the wiring diagram from their zed to the relay so I can be sure that that is not the cause. 

I've fixed the issue now, will post up the wire colours to the relay a bit later.