Bathurst Globes?

FirstBBQ

Globe Products made the 'Bathurst' originals, I believe the style is correctly called 'Daytona', & it's said was probably inspired by the wheel design Ferrari used on their Daytona model.

Ford dealers offered alloy wheels made by both Globe & ROH as options on various 60s/70's Falcons in lieu of the factory steel rims, 12-slots, 5-slots, styled steel wheels, or whatever.

Everyone calls the Globe wheels 'Bathursts' because they were produced for & deliberately sold or provided by Ford in sufficient numbers to homologate them for competition, & they became closely associated with the GTHO Phase 3s, GTs, Cobras, ESPs etc etc. But Ford wasn't the only manufacturer to use them for racing.

The 15"x7" alloy would have been an improvement on the then typically 14"x6" steels.

I think the Globe Daytonas came in 14x6, 14x7 & 15x7. But Globe made other styles too.

Other wheel manufacturers like ROH, Simmons, Cheviot, CSA etc imitated the Daytona style, in a range of sizes, offsets & stud patterns to suit different cars. So there are various 'Bathurst' wheels around, some OEM fitment to Fords & others not. You can find 'Bathurst' style mags on Holdens, Chryslers, Toyotas, Dattos, Zeds etc.

IMO they are a very nice looking wheel, on anything. Also they look the right era, unlike many of the wheels people have put on Zeds which look mismatched or just plain wrong.

I haven't decided yet what I'll use but I'm likely to put a set of 15" Daytonas or equivalent on my car once it's back on the road, as the factory 14" mags don't allow many tyre choices these days.

Edited by gilltech

• Administrators

Personally I think they are a very nice looking wheel, on anything. Also they look the right era, unlike many of the wheels people have put on Zeds which just look mismatched or plain wrong.

Ain't that the truth...

The style Glbe -Bathurst is almost ( rim lip shape change) the same as a Performance Challenger rim

Glbe Industries was a wheel manufacturer, that closed up many years ago.

Performance Wheels closed shop last year, but their manufacturing machinery has been bought by Wheel Boyz/Barrell Bros, who are/have set up a new factory in the Brisbane North area.

Chris Neale at Wheel Revolution in Moss St Slacks Creek Brisbane can source these, and many other rims.

I also have  set of performance challengers for my Chugger, 15x7 up front and 15x8 out back.

Another wheel to search for, and they are rarer than the proverbial rocking horse poo is a Rebel 5 spoke wheel made in Unenderra near Wollongong, used by just about every HQ racer in NSW in the late 80's to mid 90's and by just about every formular ford.

If you find a set grab them, very stylish 5 spoke wheel with the centre of the spoke machines away.

I got qotes for a set to be made for the charger and at $700 a wheel and a few months wait, couldn't justify them.

• 2 months later...

Bathhurst Globes are my favourite wheels and look good on most cars and a zed for sure! Have vintage globes on my Mustang and Love love love them,just wish I had one more for my spare wheel.Found on on gumtree in UK 550. pounds.Any for sale in Australia? Just need one.

Bathhurst Globes are my favourite wheels and look good on most cars and a zed for sure! Have vintage globes on my Mustang and Love love love them,just wish I had one more for my spare wheel.Found on on gumtree in UK 550. pounds.Any for sale in Australia? Just need one.

You want Glbe Ind "Bathurst" or Performance Ind "Challenger"

Both are almost the same, obvious dfference is the rim lips.

See my above pst treferring to the jew wners f the dies from Perfrmance Ind.