Early Girl Bingo - With Photos

gav240z

• Administrators

I can't answer the glove box inscription question or what it means, that's something that @HS30-H would be best to answer given his Japanese language skills.

But I was hunting for information on Len's car again as I knew it was posted here somewhere..

These 2 comments are worth reading again.

Traded in for a 260C wagon.

20 minutes ago, gav240z said:

Thanks Gav for the link to the other pages with the extra photos and his great story, i saw it on the forum a while ago,  i guess the front fenders need to come off next to see if they were ever fitted with fender mirrors as it looks like once he started racing the car he fitted Ford XA -XC side mirrors on the doors (good choice) but just had some sort of filler on the fenders. hopefully @HS30-H might have an answer on the glove box i posted it also to the thread on inscriptions. 

• Administrators

Yes reading Len's comments made me realise how special and rare the blue interior combo is.. seems it was something you had to specifically order from Nissan and something Dealer's did for their own personal stock/cars.

I have heard of other similar cars such as #21 being a similar situation i.e a dealer personal car and therefore looks like it received the rare blue/blue combo as a special request. Where as maybe Nissan didn't want to send the more flamboyant cars out as they were not sure of the reaction to such cars and felt a more vanilla/conservative combination would sell more easily and appeal to a wider audience?

He then told me he didn’t have any Z’s in stock, I will have to order it in for you. I said, there are two conditions, the car had to be white, and it had to have the iridescent sky blue interior. He said there was no such thing, I said, yes there is, he then said no again, I just looked at him and shrugged my shoulders and said, well I have seen one.

He then went to his office and made several more phone calls, returned and said there are, but there are none available in the country with the blue interior, only black. I had been told that several were bought into the country for dealers, for special display vehicles, or dealers personal ownership. so I said no blue, no sale. I then left as the rain had cleared to get some lunch, he went back to the phone.

The truth be known, I was so desperate to get my Z, I would have taken anything. My desire for such a long time had now turned to lust. I just had to have one to satisfy my addiction, I had become obsessed.

When I returned after lunch he said to me, I have found you the car you wanted, I lit up inside. He said if you knew how much juggling I had to do with a Melbourne dealer who had it ordered for his personal car. I had to trade away several of my own hard to get cars, to do the trade for yours.

I love this part of the story, but I also think it's nice that the dealer went to that effort to accommodate Len's purchase. I was hoping that Len's story would have had more specific dates included, maybe I can contact him and ask if he knows what month/year as that would likely give us a closer compliance date timeframe.. 

But the traded for a 260C wagon is interesting, because it means the car could well have gone interstate after that through the dealer network if a request for a specific car / combination came through?

By the way I just saw this article about Len.

• Administrators

RE: Cut off points of certain years.

Just going over some of the early 73 cars.

Owner say compliance plate says 10/72 as compliance date.

NB: The car has the 73 style indicators.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 11:31 AM, 24 Dat said:

@gav240z I checked #888 this morning and both the front fenders have had mirrors on them in the past and the holes have been welded over. (very well actually)

@gav240z I've had a couple of lengthy and very interesting conversations with Len Brennan over the past few days and from all likely hood #888 is not his car :'(, he was also disappointed, as he would really love to see his old race car again. He is a very interesting and cool guy to chat with, and very passionate about Zeds.   

The next time he is up in Bne we hope to catch up and go over #888 together, but really from what we spoke about and all the photos i sent him of #888 sadly, is not the car, and looking at all the other white with blue interior 71 240Zs that Gavin has listed, none of them are likely candidates. 

• Administrators

It's quite possible that Len's car is long gone. Of the supposed 2,500 delivered here. I've only recorded 550 or so cars.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Blue interior seats for sale.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brigadoon/other-parts-accessories/240z-seats/1253918700?utm_source=messenger&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=android_VIP_sticky

Same seller is selling #501 so this could be the original seats from the car. Indicating an original blue interior car.

I sent the seller a message to see if I can confirm.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Some VIN #s in here.

http://www.g8bgm.com/index_files/Page360.htm

Super Samuri cars.

1. Reg: OML10K - HS30-01904 - Andy Smith - SS00037

2. LRD621L - KEN863 - HS30-011308 - Peter Agnew - SS00034
https://cars.g8bgm.com/#collection/41

3. YES27L - HS30-100743 - John Jacklin - SS00017
https://cars.g8bgm.com/#collection/33

4. VBY731L formally CWO843V - HS30-103402 - Richard Bassett - SS00013
https://cars.g8bgm.com/#collection/7

Some photos may be in here.

https://cars.g8bgm.com/#collections

2 hours ago, GongZ said:

Did anybody else get any details or photos?

There were no photos of the body shell, just photos showing the removable panels and doors (which were all replacements), refurbished dash, replacement floor panles, 3 x sets of roundtop carbies/manifolds/air filters.

The text of the advert:

$25,000
Golden Square

Seller's Description
#96 Does need repair in the front which I wasn’t worried about as most need repairs somewhere anyway. I was sourcing any bits required from Klassicfab in Columbia as they are doing pressings as original. Does come with the E31 head and E31 block , 3 Sets of su’s and two early gearbox’s with one of them being rebuilt. All new glass correct to period, new front bar, new bonnet, rust free front guards and Various spare sections/ panels. I’ve also purchased lots of new old stock from USA. Any early Z will require a lot of work unless u buy a restored one and this one would require a full restoration as per original spec and I would only like to sell it if that was the case. Please contact me if interested for more photos of parts included- Also note NO photos are available of the car and happy for any inspection. Comes with parts cars 260Z for various nuts and bolts etc.
Edited by AndBir
added advert text

• Administrators

URL was: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/golden-square/cars-vans-utes/datsun-240z/1262117321?ea=11034243&utm_source=trigger&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=saved_search

Cached page here:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JEk_bx8jim4J:https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/golden-square/cars-vans-utes/datsun-240z/1262117321+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Gumtree has a sneaky bit of a Javascript that detects if you're viewing a cached version of the page and redirects or hides the content from you.

It says there is about 10 images.

Edit managed to scrape them for posterity.

$_75.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 9:51 AM, 24 Dat said:

Here you go Gav, some more shots of #888, i went over the car completely and i could not find any more info on the car, all the receipts in the car were from Qld and  it looks like she was on the road until late 09, interesting things both of the covers for the tool boxes in the back are blue ,  the previous owner before me surname name was Carey, and previous Qld rego was NEW 240, the glove box was empty but i go a shot of the inscription 

20200509_082836.jpg

20200509_083125.jpg

20200509_083311.jpg

20200509_083409.jpg

20200509_082136.jpg

If no one has answered re chalk inscription, it says o-suto no.1, which I assume is shorthand for Australia No.1 (オーストラリア).  I have Simar chalk marks on the radio from my car. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...