Classic car bubble

d3c0y

Rust bubbles generally aren’t appreciated lol

While a few bubbles may be acceptable on a Z purchase as honest and only to be expected 'patina', you know all too well that they breed, mostly out of sight, and an expensive and potentially heartbreaking repair and restoration process is eventually coming your way... :( 

• Administrators
On 7/29/2022 at 10:23 AM, gilltech said:

While a few bubbles may be acceptable on a Z purchase as honest and only to be expected 'patina', you know all too well that they breed, mostly out of sight, and an expensive and potentially heartbreaking repair and restoration process is eventually coming your way... :( 

https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/before-you-dive-into-a-restoration-read-this/

Topical..

We could get deep into the weeds about why such a restoration could also devalue a great original car. Suffice to say that it’s a slippery slope, so if you have a solid, unrestored car with original finishes, fabrics, and parts that is still presentable, please consider sympathetically maintaining it rather than erasing that history with a restoration. Purists like me—and your wallet—will thank you.

I think it is a total waste of time and money to try to make a 50 year old car look like has just come out of the factory.

There is nothing wrong repairing areas of rust and worn out and damaged components, but work should be done sympathetically  but  why replace an entire floor pan if you can just cut out the rusty area?

The most difficult and satisfying restoration is one where it looks like it hasn't been done

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, NickF said:

I think it is a total waste of time and money to try to make a 50 year old car look like has just come out of the factory.

I like restoring things to look nice and fresh again. Some things can't be patched up and easily mended to keep going. It's better to do it right in those instances, but to each their own.

• Administrators

https://www.carandclassic.com/magazine/classic-cars-five-reasons-why-theyre-great/

Not really bubble related, but good to focus on not just the money / investment side of things and remember it's also about the community and the joy they can bring (as much as the frustrations).

• 3 weeks later...

not bubble related but couldn't think of a more appropriate thread to post in.

Couple of articles i enjoyed from the Hack Mechanic Rob Siegel (If you're a regular viewer of Magnus walkers next big thing he was the owner of the clown shoe)

The Rules of Attraction - Hagerty Media - His take on what makes us keep a car long term or move on

Why do we buy the same car over and over? - Hagerty Media - why Gav has 4 240z's......;D

• Administrators
1 hour ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

I've had my 72 since 2002. I started dating my now wife around the same time. I think the article is an excellent summary of why we like to stick with something we love.

• 6 months later...