Classic car bubble

d3c0y

• Administrators

To be fair I actually thought asset prices would drop also, but central banks just printed money to infinite and in that Environment there is just too many dollars chasing too few assets.

A lot of people are still doing it tough. I was lucky to land a job mid pandemic, but at considerable pay cut compared to what I was earning prior.

Some people made more money than ever though, since they were in the right business or on the receiving end of Government giveaways. Gerry Harvey is a pr1ck if you ask me. Hate that bloke haha.

But alas life is not fair is it?

What worries me is the can't lose mentality some people have when investing. Like old mate with the EK? Wagon? Reckons he will double his money in a few years?

Well I'm not sure the next generation loves the old Holden wagons as much as the boomers did.

Everything looks a bit frothy to me at the moment. But of course where do you park your money? Interest rates are 0% so people are even investing in Dogecoin haha.

How this all ends I don't know, but timing any crash is almost impossible so I don't try anymore. I just try not to stick my neck out too far for fear of it being cut off.

My experience in 08 Ireland has somewhat scarred me in that I saw a lot of people lose everything or face significant negative equity. At the time I bought my FD RX7 for 5,000 euro. I could have bought a few others for as low as 3,000 euro.

1 guy was desperate to sell as he was moving to Australia for work at the time.

I guess my point is, you can look to the past to try predict the future but just because something happened in the past doesn't meant things will play out the same in the future.

I was holding off buying a house convinced with debt levels the way they were and the market hype the way it was that we were in a massive bubble. But in the end I gave in and bought becuse I realised there are too many vested interests trying to keep prices up and that only small corrections are tolerated before Government steps in with more incentives to pump the market.

I'm sure 1 day they will run out of tricks, but that could be another 5-10 years away and I'm hoping I'll have the house close to paid off by then.

I honestly think what's being destroyed is the purchasing power of money via inflation, but the way inflation is currently being measured is not representative of what's really going on.

be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.”

Warren Buffett

But who knows what to believe these days. 

What do you think??

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/leaked-chinese-document-reveals-a-sinister-plan-to-unleash-coronaviruses/news-story/53674e8108ad5a655e07e990daa85465

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

With the increase in value, the Sharks come out.

Sadly this is going to become more common as naive American buyers jump in and buy this cars.

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, JDM-TOY said:

Ohh temptation, temptation. 

Nothing about the first jen Celica. These cars hardly get a mention in reviews these days especially with the boom in classic Jap cars. Very interesting

Kind of forgotten about sadly, I had a look on CarSales the other day. Just junk priced for $20-30k. All needing work. I guess some of the more special versions were Japan only cars (twin cam etc..).

10 hours ago, gav240z said:

Kind of forgotten about sadly, I had a look on CarSales the other day. Just junk priced for $20-30k. All needing work. I guess some of the more special versions were Japan only cars (twin cam etc..).

Yeah the junk priced at $20 - 30k are really a $4k car and most have missing interior parts that are hard to get. The 71 Ta22 and later Ra28 are the go to cars and good ones are at the $18 - 30k. Most sought after engine and box combo are the 18RG engine twin solex and the W50 5spd for the Ra28. Best tractor motor work $3 to 4k now and I have seen stock 18RG-EU (fuel injected) sell for $5k. 

Sadly I didn't keep my spare 18RG-EU other wise I would be asking 30K loll

Personally I wouldn't buy any Celica unless it belonged to one of the ToyMods club GMs or original members. 

Love that Yamaha head

Edited by JDM-TOY

I have been watching zx’s for a while now. Have always loved them despite being the black sheep’s of the z family. Prices nearly doubled over the last year or two. 

lately prices for excellent condition 300zxs has gone crazy and moved out of my price range. An opportunity came up to buy a immaculate 280zx (auto unfortunately) so I jumped on it before it’s too late. I have a pedal box and a 71B so planning to do a manual conversion.

Needless to say there was a lot of eye rolling from my wife... 

4672FADE-5038-4EDD-8713-206A87D8882A.thumb.jpeg.4f388819c24929580117e7a0bb5093c2.jpegA1CEFAE8-6B58-41C6-9197-691A0601CE53.thumb.jpeg.04660277f0d910bfd08d6689db21f90f.jpeg

7CCB206C-2891-4AFD-A94B-EC853B588F7B.jpeg

208366DD-E018-4DB4-9369-5837E910C8D4.jpeg

0C6AE6B6-7036-4A5B-A5F5-176825164F95.jpeg

EF4973B3-CA36-4BA4-8DD1-5ECB62F43008.jpeg

4695B46C-FAB4-4B7C-BFB1-E6FA72240852.jpeg

1942DB2E-2530-42FF-9148-8BF124966E13.thumb.jpeg.308db0bbf5c288fffed3b2128d441235.jpeg

Edited by 240ZBUILTBYME

NZ got a LOT of those as Jap-imports (JDM cars) in the late '80s and early '90s, seemingly mostly the same white / red combo. Must have been the colour scheme of choice in Japan. Almost always a 2+2, 2-seaters were rare. Generally well optioned, but only some had the T-roof, great to see yours has.

Sadly many had been 'clocked' and were polished turds with issues, and didn't survive very long. Whereas yours looks well cared for and very tidy, well done. Was it Aus-new?

Edited by gilltech

56 minutes ago, gilltech said:

NZ got a LOT of those as Jap-imports (JDM cars) in the late '80s and early '90s, seemingly mostly the same white / red combo. Must have been the colour scheme of choice in Japan. Almost always a 2+2, 2-seaters were rare. Generally well optioned, but only some had the T-roof, great to see yours has.

Sadly many had been 'clocked' and were polished turds with issues, and didn't survive very long. Whereas yours looks well cared for and very tidy, well done. Was it Aus-new?

Yes 2 seaters seemed to be more popular in the US and 2+2s in Aus/NZ, I haven’t actually taken the car yet, it’s in perth and will be registered before I take ownership, but as far as I’m aware it was a Aus delivered one. The interior may not be everyone’s cup of tea but I love it, my brother said it looks like a pimps car, I immediately thought of this song from lurches current build...

Yes very well looked after, was owned by an old couple for many years who drove and washed it every Sunday. Nice story, lots of receipts and service records. 

Your car looks to be a virtual time capsule! The interior looks in great shape, I note especially the red seat fabric. Look after that as I'm told it's difficult if not impossible to find that sort of replacement material these days.

I trust that your wife will come around to enjoy the car once she's been for a ride with the T-tops removed, they do cruise along very nicely. Roomy and practical with the hatchback too.

There were 280ZX 2+2s sold new in NZ, I recall some very nice 2-tone (black/silver or blue/silver) T-roof cars turned up in the Z car club while I was a member. Very few 2-seaters around though.

One of the curious things I noticed about the used JDM S130 cars that arrived was that they were badged differently to the NZ-new cars. Instead of '280ZX' they would have '280Z' or 'Fairlady' badges. The 280Z bit created confusion around the fact that there were a few ex-North America LHD 280Zs in the S30 body shape about as well. I think those cars with just 'Fairlady' meant that they were fitted not with the 2.8L motor but the JDM 2L motor.

They appeared in large numbers then seemed to disappear fairly quickly as did many Jap imports of that era. However, those 280Zs that got scrapped did provide a ready source of 2.8L motors for those wishing to up-size their 240Zs or JDM S30 2L engine cars! The older ones also came fitted with the same 4-spoke styled alloy wheels used on the 260Zs, which is how I sourced mine to replace the nasty aftermarket alloy wheels on my car when I bought it.

• Administrators

The 280zx drive very differently to the earlier cars. A lot more plush and soft. Bit more of a barge. Which is good for cross country driving.

The earlier cars are more sporty, but a harsher ride. ZX's have finally started to go up, after many years in the wilderness.

You did well finding a clean 1. Minimal rust is always best. But as mentioned some stuff is just NLA.

2 hours ago, gilltech said:

Your car looks to be a virtual time capsule! The interior looks in great shape, I note especially the red seat fabric. Look after that as I'm told it's difficult if not impossible to find that sort of replacement material these days.

Exactly what I said! So the original owners had it from new up until a few years ago when my z guy in Perth bought it. So I’m the third owner. Though it will be a shame not to enjoy them I am going to put seat covers on and take them off for events, cruises, shows etc. It will be my daily and I will occasionally have to carry the kids in it so need to protect that material. 

2 hours ago, gilltech said:

trust that your wife will come around to enjoy the car once she's been for a ride with the T-tops removed, they do cruise along very nicely. Roomy and practical with the hatchback too.

Yes I’m hoping so too, yes practical and the kids can come in it too. I’ve been looking for a new daily drive for a while, was tossing up between a 86 GTS, 280zx, 300zx. But was trying to wait for the COVID used car tax to ebb.  I don’t do many Km’s as I’m fifo and we use our family car mostly so hopefully I can maintain it’s condition and keep the kms down, my only concern is having to occasionally drive in the rain! 

2 hours ago, gav240z said:

The 280zx drive very differently to the earlier cars. A lot more plush and soft. Bit more of a barge. Which is good for cross country driving.

Yes I’m under no illusion that it’s a balls out sports car. But I do like a sporty drive. it’s a well balanced car and some tasteful mods should bring a sportier drive. I test drove one previously and was surprised how tail happy it was. there are also more and more aftermarket parts coming onto the market. Techno toy tuning is now making coilovers for the S130. I plan on doing bolt on mods only, that can easily be reversed to make the car original. 

Edited by 240ZBUILTBYME