Classic car bubble

d3c0y

I have vague memories of fuel in Australia at the time being available to cars on an odd and even basis going on the last number on the number plate. (Odds one day, Even the next). If you ran out, hard bickies. 

Same in NZ, we had 'car-less' days, so one had a sticker on the windscreen denoting which weekday one had decided to use public transport or get a lift; woe betide anyone caught driving on their car-less day. Whether that mad scheme actually saved a tanker or two of imported crude oil or not has never been announced. Kept the traffic cops busy checking and no doubt a fresh bunch of bureaucrats were set up to manage it.

It's possible the V8 would have sold well, but Nissan was busy enough turning out 6 cylinder versions with no shortage of demand.

As Enzo so eloquently points out, from the early 70's it was not a good time to be selling V8-engined cars, everyone was going sixes and fours and frantically down-sizing and being frugal with MPG as gas prices went up dramatically, USA especially so, with long lines at the gas stations due to shortages. Same in this part of the world, I can remember seeing gas stations having to close once they ran out.

Big block V8s got dropped from American cars from about '72 onwards, there was even one year where a V8 wasn't available in the Ford Mustang lineup and one had to make do with a turbo 4 or a 6.

Remember the big Leyland P76 - 'right car/wrong time'?

Besides, there were aftermarket companies like Scarab providing V8 kits for Zeds.

i still say if you can get hold of a Y40 ( apparently also fitted to Cedric - police version), putting one in just for the sake of it would be a cool experiment.

The initial cedric of course morphed into the 260C, which had the L26

So that tells me that, in theory the Y40 would fir into the Z engine bay

Surprised that no one in Jap has done one

In my experience the effect of the 'oil crisis' is being greatly exaggerated here, I bought a V8 Monaro in '72 and never had problems getting fuel for it anywhere. In fact there was a V8 boom in Australia around then, the 351 Falcon ute was a stand out, there was a long waiting list for it so I was not the only one going V8. There was no eco thing back then, it was all about power and more power. It's funny how these sorts of urban myths develop and grow so stop contributing to it :)

A Nissan V8 was used in the US plonked in a 280ZX for racing, turbo I think.Put out good power but occasionally blew up in spectacular fashion too.

Edited by 260DET

Futher on V8 power in Oz, what did happen was a media led campaign against V8 cars as being too fast to be safe, nothing to do with the eco or fuel supply. IIRC GM and Ford cancelled proposed supercars and stopped emphasising power in their advertising. Of course this had no effect on imports, the general opinion among petrol heads then was that Aussie V8's had more power and that is what mattered. I think that a Y40 engined Zed would have been a sensation here, the S30 was certainly low profile back then, a V8 would have shoved the S30 into the performance market for sure and gained Nissan plenty of profile.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

1995 Mazda SP RX-7 sold for $112k

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 12.00.35 AM.png

I view these as the equivalent of the PS30-SB (Z432-R) although perhaps a little less raw than a Z432-R was from the factory. These are a homologation special (built in Australia - not Japan) to win at the 12 hour Production Races in the 90s.

So they still have sunroof's, radios, interior trim etc.. unlike the bare bones Z432-R.

http://cp_www.tripod.com/rotary/pg12.htm

• Administrators

Perhaps I should rename this thread, classic car driving forces? :P

https://journal.classiccars.com/2018/03/27/everyman-classics-well-british-auction/

Has to be said I do like the Alfa Romeo Montreal, don't see them often. Very rare.

Also selling for £10,000 ($14,188) more than expected was a 1973 Datsun 240Z that sold for £24,750 ($34,998).

Classic car auction houses constantly under-estimate the power of JDM's YO!

There will be a correction in classic cars/house (and other assets) price.We just don't know when, the size of the correction and how much the rise in the bubble before the correction.e.g. house prices could go up another 50% before a 40% correction

LOL nearly 3 years later.

• Administrators

LOL nearly 3 years later.

Sydney house prices have fallen 7 months straight. Melbourne is going flat if not backwards...

But we still don't know what happens next, US interest rate rises and a coming end to the business cycle with Trump at the wheel.. anything is still possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Sydney house prices have fallen 7 months straight. Melbourne is going flat if not backwards...

But we still don't know what happens next, US interest rate rises and a coming end to the business cycle with Trump at the wheel.. anything is still possible.

fwiw - Although Sydney is 'falling' the last announcement was a .1% fall and the total is less than 2%... Melbourne is still up 7%+ last 12 months but as it is now within about 10% of Sydney it will flatten too, but we still have 100,000 people moving here (Melb) every year, so don't bet on a big reduction.  Brisbane is about 30% behind, so it will grow materially in the next 2-3 years as people move there for the cheaper living - that's my bet - and my brother just bought a house there and he has always been lucky with his timing!   I read a recent study on the ultra wealthy, and rather than talent or intelligence, most got there due to good luck! so don't overthink it  :)

Disclaimer - I cannot predict the future - so good luck if you follow this advice!

• Administrators

I still think further price falls in Melbourne and Sydney over this year. I expect prices to be 10% lower in Sydney and 5% lower in Melbourne by year end.

I still think further price falls in Melbourne and Sydney over this year. I expect prices to be 10% lower in Sydney and 5% lower in Melbourne by year end.

Hardly a "crash" or "bubble burst" by any stretch of the imagination.......

That's more linked to global uncertainty at this point. 

I'd be more worried about the stock market and whats going to happen with OUR superannuation in the not so distant future!

• Administrators

Hardly a "crash" or "bubble burst" by any stretch of the imagination.......

That's more linked to global uncertainty at this point. 

I'd be more worried about the stock market and whats going to happen with OUR superannuation in the not so distant future!

We could go back and forth forever, I'm a crasknik and everyone else is a permabull in this country when it comes to Real Estate. Your (our) super is gone, it's all tied up in the banks and they are going to sink... Or it will be raided in a bank bail out.. Either way it's gone, forget it. It was a good idea while it lasted lol..

So the VL is worth $300k, because it's a store of wealth. :) Which the Government can't easily take away from you...

Yeah nah, our super funds, particulalry the industry run funds have built a lot of the infrastructure and major construction projects in Australia and also internationally. Whilst ever there are BOO and PPP infrastructure projects going on, and there always will, especially with the development of asia, and in particular emerging economies like Indonesia and Malaysia which are very respurces rich, and to a lesser extent Vietnam which is just starting to grow thanks to tourism and finally having some stability in the country after basically a few hundred years of war.

Super will be around for a while, and it will be good a investment, unfortunately people see it as set and forget, or a pain in the arse that they have to give up 9% of their pay. I am lucky in that I have a very switched on finance guy and he looks after me pretty well. With the last couple of rumbles in teh stock market, he pulled my money out of their into other areas and then back in when it was again stable. I may miss the absolute peaks of growth, but I also miss the plummets in value.

The introduction of super by the Hawke Keatiung Government was one of the best things to happen to teh workers of the country, basically providing them with a good pension and there were provisions to keep those not at the start of their working careers with a workable and liveable aged pension. If the original plans as set out by Hawke Keating, the unions and business were carried out, we would all be putting in 15% of our earnings to super.

Unfortunately following governments have meddled and changed the original intent for super to meet their own short term goals to be re-elected in the shitty 3 year cycle we now have. And I have to say that this started with Howard. Great leadership and looking forward for the long term basically died in this country with the first Howard Government gaining power. There was a glimps of what could be again with the original NBN as it was supposed to be, but short sightedness killed that off quicker than an Amy Whitehouse binge drug session.

Shouldn't mention the $70Bn Future Fund then i guess, grown to $120Bn >:D ... altho personally I reckon Keating was way cooler and he got China  8)

Back on topic (sort of) the great thing about classic cars is that they are CGT free (like the family home) means they are a good wealth store and no tax on the gain, and once they are on historic plates there is no duty to buy them.  So even though they make zero annual return they are not bad as an investment  overall - and you even get to drive them  :)

• Administrators

Who knew you could get financial advice on this forum  ;)

If you think the stock market is going to crash, why don't you short the SPI future and see how long you last against margin calls.

If only it was that easy to short the market..

Worth watching however is "The Big Short"

If not for any other reason than Margot Robbie in a Bathtub.

RE: Classic cars as investments, if you have somewhere to store them I agree, good way to store wealth.