Gordo takes over the Peter Mac Build.

Hey Cozza I’ll answer your question soon.

With the tune done buy local guys MPC . Good heathy horse power was made. Top Secret . Lol.  Was good to get it home . I’d only driven the car up and down the drive way. Only to second gear. The clutch felt good. Could notice the torque of the motor when it would just idle up onto the trailer. Anyway got it back home and put it back on the hoist for a look over. Could see what appears to be a slight rear main oil leak, but very minor. The headers had started to melt some of my plastic coverings around the wiring. So this was rectified with heat piping .  Radiator held up ok ,no water in the over flow. So with a good going over we are ready for a track day.

7 hours ago, Cozza said:

Nice work Gordo.

bummer I’ll miss you at Bathurst this year. Will you enter the regularity or just go for supersprint?  With all the new torque, you’ll struggle to stay above the reg time limit. 

We will see won't we, the V8 will of course make a difference but maybe not as much as may be thought. Learning Bathurst takes time, lots of seconds.

Haha, another surprise to look forward to.

How has your top gear ratio changed and, have you corner weighed your car before and after? Would be nice to know if/how the balance has been effected with the power plant swap.

After last years efforts and this years upgrades, I’m backing you for low 2:30’s 

So track day has arrived. Phillip Island of corse.  With showers forecast and rain over night the wet weather tires are bolted on. After drivers briefing a call had too be made. A drying track still with wet patches but sky’s looking promising I bolted the semi slicks on. Of cause this would just be a few shakedown laps.we roll out on our first run and I go through the gearbox for the first time with this engine and gear box setup. Power was good, a couple of laps warming the tires up getting faster and faster I was noticing the oil temp just over 100 and the water was good. I never actually floored it as the power was great and I wasn’t ready to lay down a committed lap. That session was not timed because they had issues in the timing tower.    The entry’s for this event  had low numbers so they called us around for our second run straight after our first. Me thinking how good is this, warm tires all good to go. First lap feeling my way through the gears all good, oil temp getting up there. Felt a slight vibration maybe drive line. Half a lap later notice an engine knock. Not good. Shut it down and rolled to a stop. Gut feeling is bearing ,crank ,rod combo.  I sat in the car briefly with the last 6 months flash before me. To say I was shattered was an under statement. I’ve put so much work into getting this thing ready for Bathurst , was going to be so much fun. Then the realisation it’s all fallen apart literally. I’d tried to keep this under raps and then the big reveal. Hence this is why the post is well behind the progress. I know it’s an engine out job and some sort of rebuild. I’m a broken man. With so many late nights in the shed and many hours searching for the little parts to make this all come together. I’m over it. Lost all my momentum. It’s not going to make Bathurst. I don’t want the pressure with limited time only to fail again. The car was pushed of the trailer when I got home and haven’t looked at it since. I’m just over it at the moment.  I’ll focus on getting my red 240z ready to take to Bathurst.

There’s  much to be learned from this. Questions to be asked. I know the key board warriors out there will have there say. If and when the rebuild gets done extra attention will be paid to. Oil coolers,  high volume oil pump , sump volume and windage Even an accumulator . But before any of this happens I’ll have to pull the motor and try and find out what happened. When my heads right and time permits. It will also give me a chance to clean a few thing little things up.

I’ll be ok, I’ve almost got the red zed ready for another track day at the Island this weekend. The tires are old, but I should be able to have some fun. Fingers crossed. 

• Administrators

Gordo, my FD RX-7 shat a water seal, I was annoyed, and of course everyone bitches about the rotary engine. But honestly I've seen as many LS failures also. It happens. I haven't pulled my 13b motor out, the FD gets to sit there all sad for now. Until I've got my own workshop / place to work on it.

I must say, the L-series has never let me down..

Gordo,

it's not all plain sailing building a new race car and practically that what you were doing.

I am sure you will bounce back stronger.

Many LS engine had met it's demise at PI because of the long sweeping corners. All my V8 racing friends run AccuSump or similar setup.

What a bummer but at least the LS is simple and not expensive to fix, we all run into problems when doing something like this. I don't want to 'told you so' but lubrication is crucial with the LS and, as hmd indicated, racing experience shows that an Accusump is essential unless you go dry sump. Also on mine there is a dirty big red light actuated by a 40 psi oil pressure switch as a sort of caution indicator plus a light for the Accusump.

You do have plenty of time for Bathurst though, it's just a matter of using the appropriate systems. Some even have an oil pressure data readout so that can be checked in the pits.

• 3 months later...

Let the holidays begin. Two weeks in the cave. The path is well warn. But in the coming weeks it will get deeper.

After a second hand motor was found at a ressemble price (ls2 6.0)  The old motor was stripped down with not much to salvage.

the second hand motor has been stripped. Lots of cleaning checking and sourcing some new parts.

28DADED2-102D-4AB3-BCC4-C22EAE4AB106.jpeg

1A89541E-297B-495F-9FBE-133F6288A941.jpeg

C11854D0-0D66-4E6F-B6FB-9ECD081CAF8A.jpeg

15C98052-1948-4834-A465-25394A8AF13E.jpeg

Good luck Gordo, yell out if you want a hand with anything.

Noted the angle grinder on the floor, not a good omen for an engine disassembly ;) 

Chevy orange FTW!

Edited by KatoKid

1 hour ago, gav240z said:

Agricultural engines require agricultural solutions. :)

Oooohh that's harsh

Apparently they have the camshaft situated in the cylinder block....novel concept 

#lstheworld

Edited by KatoKid

Haha. The Chevy orange has already been taken care of. . There’s a fare bit of carbon build up on the pistons and in the heads. Got them soaking atm.

The valve springs can be saved from the lower motor. Twin springs for bigger cam.

the sump that’s come with the ls2 will fit and holds more litres than the other one. It’s a little deeper, to deep for ground clearance so I’ve taken a 20mm slice out and got my mate to re weld. Came up pretty good.  Still 2 1/2 litres more oil. Total 7 1/2 lt

C52624BB-1F10-47A9-B9DA-E1372CEBAE8D.jpeg

8BD98426-4C00-4272-9E21-F12B972F718A.jpeg

FB81AE46-05BC-4952-8C85-C96F62A32F12.jpeg

I’ve been working on the heads, porting the intakes and matching the ports. Taking a lot longer than I thought. I’ve ordered some more Carbide burr tips. The Aluminium type cut through a lot quicker and take more material. So while waiting for the new tips I’ve started the rebuild on the bottom end.  The pistons are back in, windage tray. I’ve had to adjust the length of the oil pick up to the new depth of the cut down sump. It’s going to hold 8 litres just touching the windage tray, plus the oil cooler and accumulator.  I’ve marked the dip stick and recorded the depth per litres and a mark level with the windage tray.

518CEBC0-16FA-4894-A968-94ED066376A9.jpeg

273C8368-ABDE-4B9D-B142-09F1976A9B7D.jpeg

33ADC524-466A-47FB-98AB-9634AF1330E3.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gordo,

Did you build your own loom or buy one off the shelf?  Where did you buy your loom/get it made?  Who is your mate that set up the wiring?

Are you running stock gauges or using after-market ones?  Which taco did you end up going with and did it fit neatly into your dash?  Do you still run with the zed dash or have you built a custom dash?  Did you keep the same speedo (do you even run a speedo)?  If so, how did you set it up?  From where does it read?  Did you have to go to a digital speedo?

If you could squeeze in some details and photos regarding your loom and gauge set-up it would be appreciated.

MaygZ

Edited by MaygZ

• 3 weeks later...