Gordo takes over the Peter Mac Build.

Great post d3cOy, we are pretty much on the same page, according to the books I have the opinion is that F1 cars develop a lot of their downforce from their flat smooth undertray with the rear diffuser working with the wing. They deliberately flow air underneath for that reason, 

The good thing about a Gurney is that it can be attached by a few screws so it's easily removable during a race day.

Edited by 260DET

To add a bit more to the rear spoiler discussion, quoting from a Competition Car Aerodynamics test of various size and angle flat plate spoilers, downforce at 180kph ranged from 150kg to 252kg, drag correspondingly from 8 to 59kg. Pretty substantial numbers eh. 

If you were up in Brisbane you could try my modified RX7 Group C birdbath I ran n my green car for a couple of seasons before we were pinged for it in Marque Sports cars.

It created a low pressure area behind the car that sucked the back of the car down. The edges along the side of the car also helped catch and prevent air from falling off the hips of the car, directing it to the flow over the spoiler.

Unfortunately for Prodsports the spoiler is too tall to meet the rules, but a cut down version to comply with the height restriction would work well, and I was pursuing having a legal birdbath built before the green car met its demise. 

This was evident by the amount of crap that collected on the back of the car when we came in off the track and the fact that with the birdbath, turn 1 at Eastern Creek was flat, with out, I had to touch the brakes to settle the car at turn in to get through the corner.

The bird bath was about 300mm high measuring vertically from the centre of the hatch, so much taller than Tom's car.

For what my car did in NSW in the hands of John Hepher and myself in the mid 90's it seems to have slipped through the cracks as it wasn't the most powerful or built by the right people so no kudos or credi in the zed worldt, but it turned up to every meeting, finished in the top 5 pretty much every race.

It won two state championships and was run on an absolute shoestring. In 1997 when I won the NSW Marque Sports drivers' championship with the car we spent less on the whole season than one other competitor spent on the parts for their L series motor.

• 1 year later...

Its been a while , but stuff is still happening. After Bathurst Challange 2018 it got me thinking.  Ive been running an L28 for a long time now.  So i started looking into what other options where out there. Theirs the monster stroker from Les Collins. 3.5lt. around 375hp.  Then the RB option. Maybe a Peter Mac Build. the horse power could be anything you want, as we've seen. Then the LS swap, endless options. 

So yes , something is happening, just have to tie up a few loose ends before i can say which direction i have chosen

Edited by Gordo

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Gordo said:

So after a little research and manly the cheapest option was to go to the dark side and have chosen to do an LS swap.

Awwww... RB26 you won't regret it. :). Fantastic engine.

2 hours ago, Gordo said:

So after a little research and manly the cheapest option was to go to the dark side and have chosen to do an LS swap.

All you need now is an auto and I just happen to have a near new 4L85E with shifter 8)

My mate was selling his VX commodore SS . It’s stock with a twin plate clutch and of cause a 6spd manual. 

This will be my starting point. Take all the running gear out of this and sell the rest as a roller with out the drive train.

Stock standard the LS1 would only be a small hp gain on the 300hp  L28 but much more torque.

so if I’m going to do this I’m going to need more power. Enquires have been made.

lots of photos on the web, and heaps of these LS swaps into Zeds done in the USA and quite a few road going Zeds in Aus as well.

BFE3B748-A3B4-4454-9236-38655420AB4A.jpeg

Yes the LS motors respond well to a mild cam, good exhaust and some head work.

so costing this out ,the dollars started to climb. 

A friend of a friend had an LS he’d bought for a project but had changed his plans and the motor was no longer required.

Ls2 with cam and valve spring upgrades. LS3 heads and head studs. Tremic 6speed and twin plate clutch. Everything in need.

we did the deal. And lucky for me a good mate wanted the VX ss .

Now to make a list of all the associated parts I would need for the conversion.

C1EB880B-5AD9-4C1A-9822-D3CD876FB5B8.jpeg

05303154-0BE0-473E-AA57-2771D1EC8554.jpeg

Hey Peter, I don’t think I’ll run reverse light. I didn’t have them on the L28.

ive been searching the forum and found a few guys have done this. Albeit not much detail. I’ve been in touch with Mick from Tassie , he’s been racing his road reg 240z with a LS1 for over 10 years now. We’ve meet a few times over the years when groups of us from the car club have gone over to Tassie for a week of awesome driving. Mick buy the way is coming to the Bathurst Challenge this year 50th Anniversary of the Zed 2019.

Mick ownes and runs CarLine Mufflers in Devonport.  Mick kindly offered to make a set of headers making it on his car will save some time. Also talking to Mick about engine mount and sumps he advised on some kits out of the States. So mounts and sump kits ordered.

Likewise, I met up with Mick in Tassie; https://postimg.cc/XpBW5J83

We swapped details as we did our installs about the same time - it just took me an extra 8 years to get mine registered!

I've sent you a PM about matching the mounts and the extractors but it looks like you have that covered.

Lots of room until you start bolting things on: https://postimg.cc/k6Gzd1Y9

Edited by PeterAllen

3 hours ago, Gordo said:

I’ve been in touch with Mick from Tassie , Mick ownes and runs CarLine Mufflers in Devonport.  Mick kindly offered to make a set of headers making it on his car will save some time. Also talking to Mick about engine mount and sumps he advised on some kits out of the States. So mounts and sump kits ordered.

Top bloke and knows his stuff.......starting on the right foot Gordo.

Thanks Peter. Mick’s been running his LS as a wet sump for years and hasn’t had a problem. The sump we’ve ordered is fully gated and proven in the States. The engine mounts are from Dirty Dingo.

Just trying to work out weather the gear shifter will come out close to std position.

While waiting for things to come together. There’s lots of things I need to put this hole conversion together.  I found eBay a great way of searching for parts.

Bosh fuel pump will get the job done. The LS will need nearly 60psi.  I’ve upped the fuel line to 3/8in

Another thing to consider was what type of  throddle body control to use. I already had a cable running of my peddle box. But I was able to get a flyby wire peddle that I could mount to the peddle box. This is going to work much better when I get the wiring Lume and also for computer setting when tuning.

847995B0-A7E9-4922-A3D4-0886CC3520C4.jpeg

53F71E61-728A-42C2-99A7-C903A2C5431B.jpeg

Edited by Gordo