Gordo takes over the Peter Mac Build.

I thought it might be time to start a build thread on Peter Mac's unfinished project.

Link here.          http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7802.0.html

I bought this car from Peter September 2013. It's worth noting there was no motor with this car. I've always wanted a full on racing zed. Having raced road regested Zeds since 1983, it was time to step it up. My current 240z had just about found the end of development . With a 300hp Peter mac  L29 with triple 45 webers motor. At the end of its sprinting days was lapping Phillip Island in 1.47.8. End of the 2014 season .  So this would be the donner engine and gear box for the Mac car. I will add to this thread as time permits . I have a list a mile long to work through. Cheers

The first thing on the list was the rear suspension . The car has been set up with the Arozona brake and suspension kits. But never sorted. The lower control arms were of some concern. Trying to get the right angle. In particular the length didn't work. The rose joints had to be straight . Not hanging under or on top. This changed the camber, but also the lower control arm angle.

post-2078-144023796516_thumb.jpg

post-2078-144023796528_thumb.jpg

Hey Gordo

that was the first car since the 90's that's used that full set of panels from Alfa - i thought i spotted them in a photo in the NDSOC mag when they passed your place recently

Alan was saying you were at the Island doing a shake down run already!

Though sounded like a bit of sorting still to do

Hopefully the red Z will get back out there and you'll have a twin

cheers

So it was decided to get 40mm shorter rear control arms made. Being a carpenter, I made timber templates for a trial fit. Then new ones where water jet cut and machined. This gave me the ideal angle and length .

So while sorting the rear control arm out, and now determing the camber it was discovered the half shafts where to long. They where at there shortest length. So as the suspension moved up and down there was no where for it to move. Costing the shortening of the half shafts, it was decided to change the rear wheel off set buy 20mm to bring the wheel closer to the diff and then we could ajust the lower control arm back to the original position and then have 20mm of movement in the half shaft..

Then the diff mount needed some sorting. The Arozona set up is a bit strange with two pices of alloy coming off the main rear control bar to support the front of the diff. So I left this set up and made an additional mount that bolts up from the body.

post-2078-144023796886_thumb.jpg