On 10/6/2020 at 7:15 AM, CBR Jeff said:

At some stage. No rush, looks like there will be plenty of rainy days in the next few months to attend to that

Jeff

I’d been through many sections of your thread Jeff but just went from start to finish. Great thread mate and amazing work! Can’t wait to see when she’s all polished up. How long till the engines run in? Would love to know a 0-60 time with 300 buff horses under the bonnet...

Ryan

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hope everyone has had a great Christmas and are heading to a happy new year. Our son and his partner gave me a great Christmas present. Max arranged a local artist to draw the Z including an ode to my

Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers amongst us.  After quite a few weeks sanding, filling and sanding I am final happy with the outcome. On more than one occasion I have wondered if I was being

A big weekend with some great progress.  Jeff  

Posted Images

10 hours ago, AndBir said:

Haha. Yes the bike fits into the back nicely. No plan to make it look that good though. Ordered a few things this week with the view to getting it running properly and then rego. 
Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff
4 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

I’d been through many sections of your thread Jeff but just went from start to finish. Great thread mate and amazing work! Can’t wait to see when she’s all polished up. How long till the engines run in? Would love to know a 0-60 time with 300 buff horses under the bonnet...

Ryan

Thanks Ryan. 
Engine was run in on the dyno so it’s good to go. It is fairly quick, has heaps of torque and drives nicely. 
Jeff

I have been enjoying driving the Z around over the past few weeks. I changed the oil again on Friday evening before the weekend driving. That was the second oil change since the engine was installed in the car and after about 250km of running. Next change will have a few more kilometers on it. It was getting bit dark after the last change but with a few kilometers on it now its still nice a clean.

We bumped into two other 240z owners on the weekend when we were out for a coffee run and some shopping. It was good to have a chat with them and talk Z cars.

I had a call from Les Collins last week enquiring about the drivability of the engine around town on a low throttle. Les was a bit worried about how it had turned out as in his words "on the engine dyno its a big of a guess to get the low throttle percentage correct". I was happy to report its spot on and extremely drivable at very minimal or no throttle. No hunting or surging and smooth to accelerate.

I have been a bit concerned about fuel economy as every time I have driven the car the fuel tank seems to empty to a level lower than I was expecting ;D. Saturday had me a bit worried after we started with a full tank drove about 40 km and had to put almost 10L in to fill it up again. So today I embarked on a controlled economy run. No big throttle accelerations just grandpa driving and long low throttle runs down the Parkway at 100 90 and 80. I can report that if you drive appropriately the car is quite economical. Started with a full tank, drove 46.4 km over 36 min with an average speed of 69 km/h max of 106 km/h and used bang on 5 L of fuel. So that works out to be 10.77 L/100km :D

Then on the way home after the service station I gave it a bit of a run up a hill near home but out of suburbia. Set the accelerometer, started conservatively getting rolling before pushing the right foot down hard.

0-60 km/h = 3 sec 0-100 km/h = 8 sec 1/8 mile = 8sec (I'm told this would equate to about a 12.5 sec 1/4 mile) would be a bit quicker is the start and gear changes were quicker but that would be hard on the mechanicals.

Anyway its nice to drive around town, pulls hard when you want to get going but cruisers along nicely at the speed limit. A big tick from me for what Les has provided. Ticks all my boxes.

Jeff

02C001B8-40A3-4BD5-89D7-C9CC47BF6ADF.jpeg

Edited by CBR Jeff
  • 2 months later...

Hope everyone has had a great Christmas and are heading to a happy new year. Our son and his partner gave me a great Christmas present. Max arranged a local artist to draw the Z including an ode to my old mate Rocky (RIP). I will admit to having a tear in my eye.

I also made a short video of the build from start to finish (6 years). Been out and about driving as much as I can and thoroughly enjoying the experience of driving the car and the reactions I get from people.

Jeff

IMG_0551.jpg

Edited by CBR Jeff

Great video Jeff, it shows the amount of work you put into it and the attention to detail that has resulted in a lovely car - no wonder you get positive reactions from people who see it.

Makes me somewhat depressed as to what I need to do to get my car's paintwork back to an "as new" look!

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry about Rocky Jeff, have you named the car yet? Rocky should be a contender.

Nice Video! Great to have something to show case all your work and dedication. I would maybe slow the slide transitions down so we can appreciate all those rust repair pics! Love the bit of artwork too

ryan 

So sorry about Rocky Jeff, have you named the car yet? Rocky should be a contender.

Nice Video! Great to have something to show case all your work and dedication. I would maybe slow the slide transitions down so we can appreciate all those rust repair pics! Love the bit of artwork too

ryan 

1 hour ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

ryan 

Thanks Ryan

All of the photos and more detail are in the build thread. Didn't want to make the video too long. Keep peoples attention. 

Jeff

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had all intentions of going to help out at a MTB race today but was temped by the old girl and the beautiful day so took her for a drive instead. Actually two drives. Coffey run with the misses early. Interesting how a 6 kilometre round trip quickly turned into 15 kms. Then a bit of a tour around the nice roads to the west of Canbarra after lunch. Just so enjoyable to drive. 
I have been working with Les and Steve from LCR on the ECU tune. I have been sending them log files and they have been making some adjustments accordingly. Now averaging 9.9 l/100 km with all types of driving and no discernible los of power. Wide band lambda control is now turned on and it’s probably as good as it gets right now. 

Jeff

8F9C9FD6-8618-42F3-851F-B1328AC25F49.jpeg

Edited by CBR Jeff
On 2/28/2021 at 6:05 PM, CBR Jeff said:

I had all intentions of going to help out at a MTB race today but was temped by the old girl and the beautiful day so took her for a drive instead.

...and it was a spectacular day down there in Canberra on Sunday! It would have been great to catch up, but I would have been too wrecked at the end to have a decent conversation anyway!

• 1 month later...

Hey Jeff 

question about when you replaced your inner and outer wheel arches. 

how did you get access to drill out the inner wheel arch spot welds?

The only way I can think of is cutting the old inner right back to where it meets the (for lack of a better name) inner inner wheel arch. Even then space would be tight, did you use any special tools? 90 degree drill chuck adapter or something?

Cheers