Jeff's 240z build

Bled the breaks and checked nuts and bolts. Adjusted the rear ride hight. Then decided to fit the Enkei mags to see what it looks like. 
Also sorted out an idle problem that has been bothering since I started the engine in the car. Engine had a fast idle when hot and it was not adjustable via the throttle stops. Eventually found that 5&6 were breathing harder than 1 to 4. The spark plugs also reflected this with 5 and 6 being leaner than the rest. I discovered and fixed the problem. Looks like at some time between leaving LCR and being fitter to the engine at home the linkage for the third set of ITBs was knocked around the linkage shaft slightly leaving the butterflies for 5 & 6 slightly more open than the others. Adjusted and all happy. 
Jeff

C47F530E-D1DA-4F99-8F24-94B6624623DB.jpeg

94A1B4DC-F02C-47D9-95B9-B8F20560F8E1.jpeg

82187B88-E276-42F8-B4F8-800E1FDEC4D3.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Heater tap arrived a few days ago. Installed it and piped in the heater over the weekend. Happy with the pipe along the side of the engine although I did get the brackets slightly in the wrong spot. I’ll touch up the paint later. 
I also moved the small LED 4000 lumen lights that I had mounted under the front bar in the fog light holes back behind the grill. I was not happy with the look on the bar they were too obvious and looked wrong. They are now quite hidden but should still be effective. 
I just need the cartridge air filters to arrive from EFI Hardware, when fitted I can take the car to rego. 

Jeff

0D54CC40-EED2-49AB-99AD-CC6AFD849AD6.jpeg

A61EB0D0-364A-4D79-9F6E-A1938C1F4A63.jpeg

39 minutes ago, CBR Jeff said:

Air cleaners finally arrived via EFI hardware. 

Looks great, I am looking to go down the same route regarding the PCV --> Catch Can --> Intake. Out of interest, how did you secure the brass elbow inside the K&N filter cover? And presuming it is a nut of some kind, how have you secured it to prevent it working loose over time? Thanks, Andrew.

17 minutes ago, Cozza said:

Your engine bay looks great Jeff, well done.

whats the sensor in your strut brace?Intake Air Temp?

Thanks. Yes it’s the air temp sensor for the ECU. 
Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff

6 minutes ago, AndBir said:

Looks great, I am looking to go down the same route regarding the PCV --> Catch Can --> Intake. Out of interest, how did you secure the brass elbow inside the K&N filter cover? And presuming it is a nut of some kind, how have you secured it to prevent it working loose over time? Thanks, Andrew.

It was a great job for a very wet Sunday in the shed with the heater on and the footy on the radio.

I used a 5/8 barb to 1/2 bsp elbow. Drilled out two washers to size then placed one on either side so as to spread the load on the filter cover. I cut the nut section off of a 1/2 female to 5/8 bsp nipple and used it to secure the lot together.  After it was all together I drilled a 1mm hole through the bsp section of the elbow and installed a split pin through it to stop the nut coming off. I also used a fuel comparable sealer to help hold it all together. It shouldn’t go anywhere. Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo. 

Jeff

56 minutes ago, CBR Jeff said:

Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo.

Not a problem, a great explanation so no need for a photo - thanks..

Is the tubing you are using rated for fuel/oil as I understand that can be a requirement depending on how finicky the inspector is?

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, scotta said:

Jeff, what are the size / offset of the Enkei comp wheels?

Scotta

They are 15x7 with +25 offset. Im going to run a 10mm spacer with the 205/55 tires. This gives the same scrub angle as STD.

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff

I also have the enkei compe’s although in 15x7 0 offset with standard struts running 205/50’s with no problem.

I can get up to 3.5’ caster And -3’ camber comfortably with no guard alterations, they work great!

they can be a bit of a pain to clean the brake dust out though. 

At the local coffee shop today on the way back from rego inspection. Engineer is happy with only a couple of quite simple but important things to fix. Fuel line rubbing in two spots that were not possible to see until the car was on a hoist, change the vacuum hose on the break booster as it’s not the appropriate line and change the speedo drive on the gear box to the correct one so the speedo works.  I’ll get these sorted and then go back probably next week. 

Jeff

B0370B56-3DD6-4124-B8FB-A5A6DD449FD5.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

Well 14 days short of 6 years the Z has number plates. So stoked about finally getting to this point. Spent all day driving around Canberra today. I’ll get some photos to post over the next few days. 
Other news is that I purchased a 1983 720 king cab (L18 5 speed) this week. These things are amazing in that you can still get nearly all the components and they are as cheap as chips. A new guard is under $100!!!! Should be a much quicker and simpler build. Planing on it being my daily work Ute, shop truck style. it’s getting delivered next week so I’ll post a few photos. 

Jeff

12 hours ago, C.A.F. said:

When are you giving it a cut and polish?

At some stage. No rush, looks like there will be plenty of rainy days in the next few months to attend to that

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff