Jeff's 240z build

On 4/8/2021 at 4:11 PM, CBR Jeff said:

I took the plunge and cut the outer guard out. Then cut the inner guard back, that gave me access to drill and chisel the spot welds out. 
this photo may help?

Jeff

259CAAEC-E25D-4A3C-AED3-9CD3A44FE163.jpeg

Yep that’s what I figured you did, only way I could see it being done.  But then how did you weld it in?!! as once you put the new inner arch in you have no access again 

Edited by 240ZBUILTBYME

Ryan It’s a much easier job to install the inners than remove. I could get the MIG in to plug weld the drilled out spot welds with out much problem. But like removal it was a mix of working from inside and out. That is that not all of the spot welds could be removed from inside the guard some had to be accessed from inside the car. 

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, KatoKid said:

Looks Canberra cold!

Haha. No Dave not cold yet. It was still in positive figures on Monday and we reach well into the double digits for a max. Leg and arm warmers are still packed away for a few more weeks. Unlike NSW and VIC we had a public holiday Monday and it was a cracker of a day. 

Jeff

• 3 months later...

Lockdown has provided the opportunity to get a few maintenance checks done. I wanted to check the front hubs and wheel bearings. So while doing this I took the opportunity to swap the front brakes out for the copy MK63 callipers and disks that I have had sitting around for some time now. Awaiting brake lines to finish the swap off. 

Jeff

C0E9BC13-509B-487F-A226-5DAF9F312115.thumb.jpeg.b0adf3e15b468d330ddb8e1a340df30e.jpeg

94E6D81C-4C1E-4179-B58F-E0C500676857.thumb.jpeg.56256be5a7c5136c525635596b40d40a.jpeg

AF8AF2DD-A375-49E4-BB65-2C9DBFDBFDDF.thumb.jpeg.30788392b1b101a85fc455806f887e9f.jpeg

2 hours ago, C.A.F. said:

Gotta love that unsprung weight :)

Actually very little weight gain over standard breaks. Each MK63 (copy) calliper is less than 100g heavier than standard calliper. The discs are comparable. Yes there are lighter overall options but you would probably only notice the difference at high speed on a race track. These fit easily under 15” wheels and I think there  is a historic appeal to this setup. 

Jeff

• 9 months later...
On 8/20/2021 at 1:45 PM, CBR Jeff said:

So while doing this I took the opportunity to swap the front brakes out for the copy MK63 callipers and disks that I have had sitting around for some time now. Awaiting brake lines to finish the swap off. 

How do these perform Jeff? What’s your review of them? 

6 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

How do these perform Jeff? What’s your review of them? 

Ryan

Its interesting. I got the MK63 setup from a Japanese friend who I have helped out at rally events for over 20 years. They were sort of a “gift” not free but nothing like full bottle. I installed them because they are copies of the original works parts so had a period link to the 240z and they were in the shed. I was running the original OEM brakes front and rear previously and the car stoped quite well and I didn’t find the original brakes lacking at all. After installing the MK63 set up (keeping the rear drums) I honestly did not feel any great difference except after the 5th 6th or 7th heavy stop. 
The original brakes work fine for most driving and all road legal driving. The MK63 set up helps with multiple heavy close stops but they are very expensive for what they are. If you want brakes for very spirited driving there are plenty of options that will be much better value for money than the MK63 front option and would probably but not essentially include rear disks. 
But then there is the wank factor of having MK63 (copy) fronts. 

Jeff

12 hours ago, CBR Jeff said:

But then there is the wank factor of having MK63 (copy) fronts. 

;D Everyone loves a bit of wank factor Jeff 

yeah I’m going with stock brake set up initially with a slight upgrade to the later 77-78 drum cylinder setup.

if I do upgrade the brakes I’ll probably go the whole hog and do the z car garage brake kit as they have great reviews 

If you can upgrade and put a bit of big brake kit bling on why not?

But is it a necessity? I'd say not.

I regularly do 195khp to 95kph stop at Sandown on stock front and rear drum for 8 laps race with no issue.

It took a while to find the right pads and shoes/drum to use. I tried too agressive pads and they cooked the rotors so by lap 3 there were massive brake fade. 

p.s last year we have been allowed slighlty thicker and ventilated discs from non-turbo 300zx and allowed to put a spacer to expand the stock caliper to fit the wider discs 

Edited by hmd

On 6/16/2022 at 8:48 AM, hmd said:

It took a while to find the right pads and shoes/drum to use. I tried too agressive pads and they cooked the rotors so by lap 3 there were massive brake fade. 

@hmd And what were the rights pads shoes/drums combination for you if I may ask? Or trade secret? ;)

no secrets but it really depends on what your application.

For my racing I use Project Mu race pads or Winmax W5. and used the shoes material the HQ racing guys use with the steel drums instead of aluminium. Sacrifice some weight in the drums because the aluminium expand too quickly with the heat.