Jeff's 240z build

Your R180 has made it to the work bench Jeff, but we are still downing in gearbox's currently.

Who rebuilt your steering rack? Local company?

Thanks Locky

Rack is a bit of a story but basically it came from Stewart Wilkins. I dropped my old rack off to the local steering shop Straightline with a few other components. Craig from Straightline sent it to a remanufacturer is Sydney who said it was too far gone. When I was in the shop talking to Craig about it Stewart rang up and I said to say G'day from me. When the phone conversation was over my old rack was on its way to Stewart and a reco rack was on its way to me. Simple?

Jeff

Had a few hours in the shed yesterday. It was one of those times when you spend what feels like ages but don't actually accomplish that much.

A few photos of progress on the drives side. Managed a test fit of the new sill before I called it a day.

Rocky was ever present and helping.

post-9418-144023802897_thumb.jpg

post-9418-144023802913_thumb.jpg

post-9418-144023802929_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Tomorrow will mark one month since I have been able to spend any productive time in my shed  :(.

But thats about to change for the better  :).

Cold weather, family commitments but mostly work have been taking all of my time. Rocky has been very unhappy with me the past few weeks.

Finally managed to get back to the shed today. Spent all afternoon on my back removing body coat and muck from under the back of the car. Its not finished by a long shot but its a good start. Very therapeutic work without much need to think. Something I can handle lying down as it was...

Weapon of choice is the trusty multi tool. Just pops it off.

post-9418-144023807758_thumb.jpg

post-9418-144023807765_thumb.jpg

post-9418-14402380777_thumb.jpg

post-9418-144023807776_thumb.jpg

I have spent quite a few hours now removing body coat from the underside of my car and I personally don't think it is therapeutic. I will be happy when it is all done that's for sure. I don't have a multi tool so haven't tried that options. My weapon is a heat gun and paint scraper, gets the big flat areas done easily. I am finding it is all the hard to get to fiddly areas are the hard part. There is not much room between the wheel well and the beaver panel that's for sure.

I have spent quite a few hours now removing body coat from the underside of my car and I personally don't think it is therapeutic. I will be happy when it is all done that's for sure. I don't have a multi tool so haven't tried that options. My weapon is a heat gun and paint scraper, gets the big flat areas done easily. I am finding it is all the hard to get to fiddly areas are the hard part. There is not much room between the wheel well and the beaver panel that's for sure.

Jeff all I can say is get a Multi tool!!!!!!! Seriously it becomes quite a fast process.

You will be amazed how easy it is to remove. And yes the space or lack of between the spare wheel well and the beaver panel is very small.

Jeff

Jeff, You're making life difficult for yourself when there really is no need to. A rotisserie would make things so much easier. I have one I'm not using that you can use if you want to.

Oo, Thanks for the offer Peter. I might just take you up on that. The plan was to eventually get her onto a rotisserie after I had done some work put it back together drove it a bit and made final modifications/repairs before finishing her off. But as often happens once these things start they almost morph into another child and get a life of their own. Ill get back to you on the offer ta.

Jeff

I managed to spend a few hours in the shed this afternoon. So I am getting back on track ;D

I welded a few strengthening pieces in place at the front and back of the drivers side door rail that had previously been manufactured and painted. These were needed as the rust in these two areas was particularly bad so I had to cut a couple of bits out and replace them. The seat belt mount was a bit of a worry but I have a plan that involves both sides of it that should sure up this important section. So after some cutting welding hammering etc and The drivers side inner guard, outer rear quarter repair section and sill are all test fitted. Nothings permanent yet but it all lines up sort of.

post-9418-144023809245_thumb.jpg

post-9418-144023809261_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

More progress over the weekend. Had a bit of a clean up and fitted an extra light in the shed. Max my young bloke picked up an LED light bar that was left over at work. I had to make a carrier for it out of drain pipe and wire it in. Wow does it add some light to the shed. Very happy with it.

I have now fitted the sill to the drivers side and had a bit of a fiddle with a few other items. Packed off the L24 to LCR with a mate who is picking up a L24B in a couple of weeks. Progressing nicely. Work is still getting in the way though :) 

post-103565-0-11073700-1440993630_thumb.jpg

post-103565-0-25406300-1440993649_thumb.jpg

Edited by CBR Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

My gearbox has made the return trip back to Canberra for LCR. So its sitting in the middle of the shed in front of the beer fridge being admired by every visitor to the house, even if they are not interested :) .

On a progress note I have manufacture and repairer the bottom of the B pillar on the drivers side. Photos below.

post-103565-0-66951100-1442304710_thumb.jpg

post-103565-0-67010700-1442304861_thumb.jpg

post-103565-0-78103000-1442304885_thumb.jpg

Excellent job on the B pillar there Jeff. I really like this build, it moves along way faster than my own.

Thanks Jeff, but its going a bit slow for my liking at the moment. Traditionally this is a quiet time of year for me work wise so I should be getting more shed time... but its just been crazy. I have been traveling all over the place. Up side is the $$, so I can get on with purchasing the bits needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Progress again at last.

Life has settled down a bit in the last week so I have managed to spend time in the shed. Rocky has been enjoying the company and providing lots of supervision and much needed advice.

I did unearth a couple of nasty surprises along the way. I knew there was a bit of "bog" in the rear drivers quarter and that it had had a bit of  hit at some stage. So as I progressed I found a few man made problems. This nesesitated the fabrication of an extra panel repair section and some more cutting, rolling, bending, welding, grinding and several (more than usual) cups of tea.

As they say a picture speaks a thousand words. So here are some pictures.

post-103565-0-92457100-1443997528_thumb.jpg

post-103565-0-64151700-1443997579_thumb.jpg

post-103565-0-00849500-1443997607_thumb.jpg

post-103565-0-83500400-1443997694_thumb.jpg

Edited by CBR Jeff

This is the section on the drivers rear quarter that had been stretched, beaten and bashed then left to rust under the bog. It was well above the area covered by the Tabco repair section.

I decided after looking at it for some time the best thing was just to cut it out and make a new section.

It turned out a lot better than it would have been if I left it as it was. and I am happy with the result.

post-103565-0-18055700-1443998221_thumb.jpg

post-103565-0-15487800-1443998254_thumb.jpg

post-103565-0-10111400-1443998280_thumb.jpg

post-103565-0-82039600-1443998303_thumb.jpg

Looking good Jeff!

Thanks Locky, its coming along. I might get to the floors next week?

Nice work Jeff, where did you get the Tabco rear 1/4 from, MSA? How did you find it?

Cheers

Thanks Brabham

Yep I purchased the Tabco parts from MSA.

If you look through the build thread you will see that I have used quite a few items from Tabco via MSA. They are generally very good products although not original I think they are very close.

You just need to remember they tend to have more relief around the edges of the item than the original part probably had. I am glad I purchased all these parts when the little Oz battler was almost at parity with the US$. They would be very expansive now, they were expensive then. :)

Jeff