Jeff's 240z build

I managed a few hours over the weekend to almost finish off the passenger’s side, ( just need to weld up a couple of small pin holes then grind them off). started cutting into the driver’s side to give it the same treatment as the passenger’s side.

Also spent some time cleaning up some parts. Pulled the bearings off the rear drive shafts and cleaned them up ready to fit new bearings at some stage. This is a great time in a project as there is so many jobs that need doing. If you feel like detail work, grinding and cutting or just pulling something apart always lots to do.

I have also posted some photos of my rear slam panel repairs, that I started before I started this thread. I’m still mulling over the repair to the Passengers side tail light area. I have had a few false starts at this as I basically need to re build the complete top of it. It’s quite fiddly. I think I will make a wood negative of this area and use it as a pattern, not sure yet.

Rocky was not much help this weekend as our Daughter is home from university and all he wanted to do was walk, sleep and eat, the life of a dag…

Jeff

post-9418-144023798483_thumb.jpg

post-9418-144023798502_thumb.jpg

post-9418-144023798518_thumb.jpg

post-9418-144023798535_thumb.jpg

73 model AU delivered 240z's didn't have indicators in the guards. They had them below the bumper (inside of the over-riders). So your car is normal for an AU market 240z.

My Australian delivered 1973 240Z and others (including some 1972 and overseas models) that I have seen, have the front indicators mounted ABOVE the front bumper, and they do not have over-riders on the front. The same arrangement seems to have been used on some (early?) 260Z's. I have also seen photos of cars with the indicators below the bumper (like the yellow 1972 UK 240Z below), and assumed that some/all had the indicators moved for aesthetic reasons.

post-2526-144023798808_thumb.jpg

post-2526-144023798818_thumb.jpg

post-2526-144023798821_thumb.jpg

post-2526-144023798829_thumb.jpg

As far as I know - no Australian 240Z ever had indicator or side marker lights in the front guard sides. This seems to be a unique feature of the Australian cars and I have always wondered why they would have been deleted for our market alone.

• Moderators

Did someone install a single vent in the bonnet? Arghhhh

Maybe done to give the impression that it had a Turbo ? I remember that type of caper going on in the late 80's

Been meaning to ask you, i noticed you have the original factory stem of the drivers side external mirror, do you have the actual mirror ? If you do, put it in a safety deposit box !

Unfortunately I only have the base and it is broken so its not much good for anything

Did someone install a single vent in the bonnet? Arghhhh

Yes they did and I think they used a 5mm drill bit and a kitchen knife to do it. Its a very rough job but given some time and patience I am planning on repairing it by welding in a patch. Should not be to hard. But that job is down the list of jobs to be done.

As far as I know - no Australian 240Z ever had indicator or side marker lights in the front guard sides. This seems to be a unique feature of the Australian cars and I have always wondered why they would have been deleted for our market alone.

Ta. Its such a long time ago I don't quite remember.............

• Administrators

Unfortunately I only have the base and it is broken so its not much good for anything

DON'T THROW IT OUT!

You can get an American LHD mirror and repair it. The stalk angles on the AU 240z's were different to the US market and the stalk is basically the only part that is different. Took me 6 years to find an AU market mirror.

If you are planning to get rid of the stalk I'll take it!

DON'T THROW IT OUT!

You can get an American LHD mirror and repair it. The stalk angles on the AU 240z's were different to the US market and the stalk is basically the only part that is different. Took me 6 years to find an AU market mirror.

If you are planning to get rid of the stalk I'll take it!

Its in the pool room. 8)

MCA's look nice.

Gearbox was finished this afternoon - it looks preeeeety :)

Thanks lurch.

Les sent me an email. I think the young people would say OMG!! 

MCA struts = serious you know.

Yep. Pure sex.

Hey Jeff, I'm  pretty well sold on MCA's. How much did Josh charge for the Reds?

Just checked the invoice it was $3200 plus frt. That was for reds with a couple of options. I basically left it up to Josh and Murray for the set up. I'll get Neil Bates to have a drive when the car is finished for final tuning advice.

After wasting a few days at the snow  :(. It was appropriate to have some Z time  :). Firstly and importantly was to pay some bills. You cannot expect people to carry out work for you unless you pay the bills in a timely fashion. You also wont get parts delivered if you don't pay the money. Then it was off to the shed. Finished stripping the drivers side sill and rear quarter. Found some ugly stuff in there.  So its stripped back now and ready to start the repairs, replacements and re assembly process. I can guarantee that if a car is showing signs of rust externally in the sill area it will be 10 times worse inside. I can also see why these cars are prone to rust in this area. No undercoat, poor drainage, sound proofings that hold water.

Photos below.

post-9418-144023800175_thumb.jpg

post-9418-144023800191_thumb.jpg

post-9418-144023800208_thumb.jpg

post-9418-144023800224_thumb.jpg

Bit of an update.

Work and very cold weather has stifled any major progress this week and that looks like continuing until the weekend.

A few items have been delivered and gathered in the last few days.

I negotiated in principal with a fellow member for some induction for my engine once its all sorted out later in the year.

Two boxes of bling arrived from MCA yesterday and I picked up some steering components today including a rebuild steering rack that looks and feels (at first look) very sweet.

And LCR may have had a look at my diff but not sure or worried as Les will get to it in good time.

Jeff

post-9418-144023801815_thumb.jpg

post-9418-144023801823_thumb.jpg