gav240z

For sale: Working 240z Clocks.

No it's not a misprint, I have had 4 clocks restored recently by Ron in the US and these will work!

I'm currently listing 2 for sale, with a possible third available depending on demand. I'm willing to discount price if you send me back your original clock (-$40 from price below for core exchange*). Of course it must be in rebuildable condition. Ideally no cracked bezel or lens etc..

As you can see from the photos there is no difference on the visible side of the clock. The clock on the far right is out of HS30 00150 (Labelled OEM clock) which I've left 'original' in terms of mechanism etc.. You can see the adjustment fast/slow knob on the rear of this clock. The other 3 have had the original mechanics replaced with a Quartz movement and have no adjustment.

2015-04-27.jpg

2015-04-27.jpg

2015-04-27.jpg

You can see we preserved the numerical code on the rear of the clocks, which we believe is a date code of manufacture although I haven't been able to fully decipher these as of yet.

Price: $300 each.

There is a small profit in there for myself, to factor in my time, sourcing the parts, organising shipping, dealing with foreign currency exchange. You may be able to rebuild yours or send it yourself and save a small amount of money, but then you'll have an empty hole in your dash and have to wait a few weeks. This way you can swap it out and have a working clock again in no time!

If this works well I may send off multiple clocks for rebuilding at a time along with other items like indicator stalks, dashboards for reskin etc.. So you could say this is a test run of this concept/group buy sort of arrangement.

*Core refund is for 240z Jeco clocks, but if there is enough demand for 260z clocks let me know?

I had two done here in Bris and the guy told me not to come back. Better wrap my spare up if they are worth that much Gav. 8)

Hi Gav, I will take one. PM sent.

Billy.

No problem will send to Perth no issues. I'll reply to your PM later tonight with details.

I had two done here in Bris and the guy told me not to come back. Better wrap my spare up if they are worth that much Gav. 8)

Why did he tell you not to come back? Too much hassle?

Better wrap my spare up if they are worth that much Gav. 8)

It's labour cost + core cost really, and the fact that Ron has certain tooling to reproduce busted bezels, repaint dial faces etc.. The other day I saw a Jeco clock (early S30z) on Yahoo! Auctions sell for close to $100 AU.

To be honest I was a little surprised, but then I realised.

#1. How often do people sell them here in Australia? There are none on eBay AU right now for example.

#2. Have you seen the prices on eBay US?

Examples below.

a. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Datsun-240Z-Clock-/221755043806 (used = $60 AU before shipping)

b. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Datsun-260Z-280Z-Quartz-Clock-74-78-Stunning-OEM-Restored-240Z-/251935504637 (Restored 260z over $300 AU)

c. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1970-71-72-73-Datsun-240z-OEM-clock-gauge-/321739356944 (buy it now $100 USD)

d. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Datsun-240Z-Clock-w-QUARTZ-Movement-70-73-OEM-Restored-/291436508934 (restored buy it now $375 AU)

Only reason I'm able to offer these at this price is because I had 4 spare (2 from my own cars and 2 in spare dashboards). I'm sure the eBay prices are a little on the high side, I've seen a few sell for $30-$40 USD but then you gotta ship them etc... It's hard to find them locally at the moment.

So if anyone has a bunch stashed away let me know?

You can see we preserved the numerical code on the rear of the clocks, which we believe is a date code of manufacture although I haven't been able to fully decipher these as of yet.

To this point... I'm lead to believe that other parts on the car have a date stamp and to convert to Western Dates you need to know the date of the emperor's reign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_era_name

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_era_names

Emperor Shōwa, 1926–1989

If you look at the clock out of my 1970 240z, it has the stamped code 0096.

96-26 = 70 or 1970.

However that doesn't seem to work for the other clocks.... But I'm guessing that maybe Jeco started using a date that also referenced the calendar month. Car parts are often stamped with a letter to indicate month of manufacture, the J is often used instead of I because I can look like a 1.

Examples

A=Jan

B=Feb

C=Mar

D=Apr

E=May

F=Jun

G=Jul

H=Aug

I=Skipped due to looking like 1

J=Sep

The reason we (Ron and I) believe it's a date stamp is that my 72 240z clock had a very close number to another 72 240z clock Ron had.

Why did he tell you not to come back? Too much hassle?

Not sure they were done by a friend of a friend and didn't cost me at all. Guess he didn't want to do any more. 8)

Just a quick update but Ron informs me he's running out of Quartz units. Seems there has been demand for clock restoration and he's running low on spares.

If anyone has a late 260z style Quartz clock or 280zx analog clock for sale or parts let me know?

280zx clock looks like this I believe.

$_57.JPG

Pretty sure I've seen 280zx's being broken recently.

Just wanted to say that the other clock that is still available has some minor scuff marks on the outside of the bezel that were too deep to effectively polish out. This won't be seen at all once installed, but wanted to mention it in advance so the potential buyer is aware.

You can sort of see this in the pictures above if you look closely (top left of first photo), BUT... if you want to see closer photos of this please let me know and I'd be happy to take some and post them up.

I guess it just adds to the character and patina of the part :).

The other thing I'll mention is that the action on the adjustment knob feels a little different with the Quartz movement, it's quite nice compared to the standard mechanism and it's literally the only way to know it's not 100% original once it's been re-installed.

Posted 1 of these clocks today from Sydney to WA fully insured and it was around $12.

So for anyone else considering this I'll do a flat rate of $12 anywhere in Australia.

Just found these, not the best before and after comparison but might be helpful.

IMG_20150312_215930.jpg

IMG_20150307_202805.jpg

Hi Gav,

Arrived today all safe and sound. Looks fantastic, the quality is better in person than the photos show. Very happy.

Cheers Billy.

Glad to hear you are happy, it's hard to photograph them honestly I find. They are a credit to the work Ron does really.

Took a bit longer to reach you than anticipated but that's Australia Post being slow. Let us know how it goes once installed?

Hi Gav,

All installed, works a treat. Thanks mate. I think the interior is as completed and as OEM as its going to get, for now anyway.

Billy.

post-1623-144023790566_thumb.jpg

Looks fantastic mate, I see you have the original head unit also. Well done, it's come up great. Can't wait to get my 240z's looking that good.

Just sold another clock on eBay this afternoon.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Datsun-240z-Jeco-Clock-Quartz-Movement-/261889681645?

I have 1 other clock refurbished clock that I might sell if anyone is interested.

Still looking for original clocks if people are willing to sell them to me? Also interested in late 260z clocks and 280zx analog clocks for parts.

On 11/30/2018 at 9:34 AM, Sean Dezart said:

Hi Gavin - a question please :

Why have some clocks got angled bezels and others straight ?

Cheers.

260z/280z ones have a flat bezel to suit that dash

240z ones are angular.

However in the photo at the start of this thread they are all 240z clocks. Just that the angle of the photo makes 1 look more flat than the others.