gav240z

SU Carb Rebuild Questions

7 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Hey gav 

how did you end up going with this little su  rebuild project? 

Did your plated parts come back ok? How did you go with the Ztherapy rebuild kit? 

Just wondering if I should try and rebuild my own su’s or get a pro to do it....

You can see these posts for more details.

Just wondering if I should try and rebuild my own su’s or get a pro to do it....

I'm actually quite proud of my SU rebuild. The vapour blasting and re-plated parts look fantastic.

It really depends on what you're wanting to achieve? Z-therapy could take 3-4 months turn around times on the carbs due to backlog. I actually think my own rebuild turned out nicer (plating was better) and the vapour blast finish vs tumble polish of Z-therapy SUs. I just feel mine "pop" a bit more like new.

Also Z-Therapy generally doesn't rebuild your intake manifold and restore it, I did that with mine and it's worth it IMHO.

If you could get someone locally to do the roller bearing machine work / upgrade to the SUs, it would be worth doing all the work locally.

How did you go with the Ztherapy rebuild kit? 

The kit is fine, but it won't give you the roller bearing throttle shafts and it is missing some minor items like the inline fuel filters from memory. It also replaces some of the crush washers with a nylon style washer. It's probably worth it for the needles and nozzles (re-machined).

The biggest con's of going with Z-therapy.

1. Cost of shipping.

2. Cost of rebuilding is high (but quality work doesn't come cheap) but if you compare with a set of Triple Webers it seems cheap. But not many people think like I do in terms of importance of originality plus Spanish Webers are not great IMHO..

3. Backlog on their side, which means the carbs are missing for a couple of months at least (they may not have a backlog atm?).

4. When the carbs came back due to what they were insured for, I had to fill in customs declaration forms to state I sent them off for repairs so I didn't have to pay import duties. Bit of a hassle.

4. You don't get the satisfaction of having done the work yourself.

Pro's of Z-Therapy.

1. Choke assemblies etc.. can be a pain to get right. Lots of washers etc..

2. Looks great

3. Roller bearings done.

4. Saves you a lot of time so you can focus on other parts of your project. (probably main reason I'd outsource this job to be honest).

Hope that helps.

16 hours ago, gav240z said:

You can see these posts for more details.

I'm actually quite proud of my SU rebuild. The vapour blasting and re-plated parts look fantastic.

It really depends on what you're wanting to achieve? Z-therapy could take 3-4 months turn around times on the carbs due to backlog. I actually think my own rebuild turned out nicer (plating was better) and the vapour blast finish vs tumble polish of Z-therapy SUs. I just feel mine "pop" a bit more like new.

Also Z-Therapy generally doesn't rebuild your intake manifold and restore it, I did that with mine and it's worth it IMHO.

If you could get someone locally to do the roller bearing machine work / upgrade to the SUs, it would be worth doing all the work locally.

The kit is fine, but it won't give you the roller bearing throttle shafts and it is missing some minor items like the inline fuel filters from memory. It also replaces some of the crush washers with a nylon style washer. It's probably worth it for the needles and nozzles (re-machined).

The biggest con's of going with Z-therapy.

1. Cost of shipping.

2. Cost of rebuilding is high (but quality work doesn't come cheap) but if you compare with a set of Triple Webers it seems cheap. But not many people think like I do in terms of importance of originality plus Spanish Webers are not great IMHO..

3. Backlog on their side, which means the carbs are missing for a couple of months at least (they may not have a backlog atm?).

4. When the carbs came back due to what they were insured for, I had to fill in customs declaration forms to state I sent them off for repairs so I didn't have to pay import duties. Bit of a hassle.

4. You don't get the satisfaction of having done the work yourself.

Pro's of Z-Therapy.

1. Choke assemblies etc.. can be a pain to get right. Lots of washers etc..

2. Looks great

3. Roller bearings done.

4. Saves you a lot of time so you can focus on other parts of your project. (probably main reason I'd outsource this job to be honest).

Hope that helps.

Wow gav, amazing answer, thanks for taking the time out to reply in detail. I really admire your dedication to high quality work, it’s inspiring to someone just starting out. I must go through your whole build thread, I’ve peeked at bits and pieces. I’m actually considering safari gold myself! 

I really want to rebuild my su’s myself but I am a high level amateur! Was actually asking about the DIY rebuild kit from Z therapy as I want to do the rebuild and Ztherapy is the kit everyone recommends. Do you think an amateur could successfully do the rebuild? 

Shipping costs would be huge to send carbs there and back, what did you end up paying if you don’t mind me asking? 

To be honest long term I was considering triple Weber’s but mostly because it seems to be the thing everyone goes for. Due to my car being non matching numbers I’m not overly concerned about originality.  Tbh I have no idea the differences in the way they work. Probably something I need to research. Premise would be the same as any carby but why do people go to Weber’s, I assumed because  they offer more horsepower. However I’ve heard they very temperamental. 

Do you think the roller bearing mod is critical?