BC coilovers

mossy

........and then????

No I haven't bought any for my 240  ;D

they are just s13 coil overs, you can do this to most base height adjustable s13 coils, you need to cut off the knuckle and weld it to the base height adjuster and your done

Going from the thread here at Hybridz http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/117236-bc-racing-coilovers-for-s30-time-to-buy/ it looks like it took from early March to early July for the first test kit to arrive so I thought they would be more than just s13 coilovers?

The coilover strut part is pretty much the same for most car models for each coilover manufacturer ie McPherson strut type or double wishbone. They just change spring rates, valving and top and bottom mounts to suit the different cars. I have WRX struts from MCA, for the reason that it featured inverted monotube front shocks. Obviously i had a set of zed strut tops and some threaded tubes to suit made up so you can cut the tube off the factory strut and weld this threaded tube onto the bottom knuckle and bobs your uncle, 240Z coilover from WRX ones.

You have been able to order that setup on a complete strut of Tein Japan for years.

Surely is, I reckon if i wanted to i could put the chassis rails on the ground with this setup and still easily run legal ride height and then some.

Full run down on my facebook page of all the measurements we did for MCA and installation in two cars. It's not really modified to fit either, it's a set of coilovers that have 240z attachments fitted to them, opposed to WRX.

Also as a note to others doing this, I had HKS Performa coilovers (GDB WRX as well) which I originally intended doing this with and they weren't going to provide the right amount of travel in the front. So moral of the story all coilovers are not equal, do you measurements!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes I have a set  for 240z 50mm  struts

You can order  50mm  or 55mm    versions

And  custom spring rates

Any bc distributor  can get them for you

I got mine from    centerline suspension  in Thomastown Victoria in 2014

They are well priced    for a two  way adjustable coil over with camber tops

I doubt you could make a kit your self using  s13 or wrx  and then making camber tops  , measuring heights etc

For the same price

And why would you when you can get a off the shelf  kit

Yes I have a set  for 240z 50mm  struts

You can order  50mm  or 55mm    versions

And  custom spring rates

Any bc distributor  can get them for you

I got mine from    centerline suspension  in Thomastown Victoria in 2014

They are well priced    for a two  way adjustable coil over with camber tops

I doubt you could make a kit your self using  s13 or wrx  and then making camber tops  , measuring heights etc

For the same price

And why would you when you can get a off the shelf  kit

Because BC coilovers are not even close to the quallity of MCA suspension.

Ive have been 2 cars with BC's (180SX and 32 GTR) and both were very  average, the adjustment on the valving does nothing IMO.

I went straight to a custrom Tein Monoflex setup for my GTR and they are miles ahead. I had contacted MCA before I bought the Teins but they were still in the prototype stage for 32 GTR and I couldnt wait any longer. They did offer me custom gold series but at over $5k i couldnt justify that for how i use the car.

In saying that  BC's might be fine for how some use their cars.....

Fair enough

What year were  you wanting  to purchace the Tein's ?

The bc you had experience with were  ,V1 series, BR series , RM series , or  ER series ?

I have had no experience with MCA  'I know they do TIME ATTACK ' so they should be  Top Quality  good gear

don't get me wrong ,but they had no off the shelf kit

Did you get the Blue or REDs  ? 

Do you know what brand  Shock inserts they use ,or company that manufacture for them  ?

Good brands I know of  are    Bilstein  ,Koni  , Tein

most aftermarket  Coilovers are made overseas    like  Taiwan  then  branded 

And  you can get  -  budget series    -  midrange series  - Top of the line Series 

You get what you pay for

My 240 is a Street car  which will see  some track time

And  Iam not a Professional Racing Car Driver

And For  $1350  I am happy with my purchace  ATM

Cheers

Fair enough

What year were  you wanting  to purchace the Tein's ?

The bc you had experience with were  ,V1 series, BR series , RM series , or  ER series ?

I have had no experience with MCA  'I know they do TIME ATTACK ' so they should be  Top Quality  good gear

don't get me wrong ,but they had no off the shelf kit

Did you get the Blue or REDs  ? 

Do you know what brand  Shock inserts they use ,or company that manufacture for them  ?

Good brands I know of  are    Bilstein  ,Koni  , Tein

most aftermarket  Coilovers are made overseas    like  Taiwan  then  branded 

And  you can get  -  budget series    -  midrange series  - Top of the line Series 

You get what you pay for

My 240 is a Street car  which will see  some track time

And  Iam not a Professional Racing Car Driver

And For  $1350  I am happy with my purchace  ATM

Cheers

hey jap metal

have you got your BC coil overs welded on yet? did you welded them on yourself? Did they come with some instructions?> if so would you mind sharing them to me? I want to see how they work before getting a set. cheers

Yeah I was concerned of that when I first got them (not having enough travel )

Its about 60mm    from  top of camber top to  spring   

Camber tops add to that because pillow ball is lower than  most other coilovers I have used in different cars  (normally 40mm from what I remember)

That image is a rear    spring length is 220mm    and shock has 130mm travel

installed  spring compresses  about 25mm  so  their is    105mm of travel left for  the shock

front springs are shorter in length  I need to measure 

should get a chance on the weekend

From what I know ,and going of what people say  you only need  about  75mm to 100mm of travel left in your shocks and if you are bottom out you need stiffer springs

depending on you application  I guess  ,and iam no expert

The camber tops are made recessed  so you don't need to cut out  strut tops on  the car body if you don't want to

if you don't want to use weld in camber tops, or  even Ground control camber tops ,which still need cutting away at the body and re drilling new holes

This is one way to keep your body un cut

saying that ,I am going to open up the  center hole  on the  strut tops on the body of my  car

so you can adjust camber on the fly

but it wont be as extreme as  other options

wouldn,t mind seeing MCA  camber tops or any others

Its a good way to  compare  options available out there for the zeds

another image  of camber tops

Hope this makes sense

post-3986-144023781599_thumb.jpg

I didn't do camber tops at this point because the car has adjustable control arms front and back and with out the camber top, the strut top is only taking up 10mm. The stock one is 40mm, so you are already 20mm higher than stock in fixed length.

Are you running flares and are you planning to run the car low? On the front of the other car I setup with MCAs, it had 75mm of travel not including the bump stop which is 10mm and personally I will probably be running it around 60mm on my own car to get it low enough. This was using the shortest shock we could in an inverted mono tube for the front.

• 2 weeks later...

I have BC BR type coilovers in my SW20 MR2 and am quite happy with their performance. The car sees at least 6 track days a year, and I find them easy to adjust from the soft road setting, to harder track settings. There is a BIG difference between the settings!

I was looking at some BC coilovers for my 260Z 2+2, but am getting confused/concerned about original widths and lengths of the OEM setup. Apparently the later Zeds, (mine's a 1977) have larger diameter

springs and shocks? I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Also I've bought wheels, (15x9" 0 offset) that are too wide and foul on the spring perches, so I'm looking for a bit more clearance which is why a coilover setup will make more sense.

Yeah I was concerned of that when I first got them (not having enough travel )

Its about 60mm    from  top of camber top to  spring   

Camber tops add to that because pillow ball is lower than  most other coilovers I have used in different cars  (normally 40mm from what I remember)

That image is a rear    spring length is 220mm    and shock has 130mm travel

installed  spring compresses  about 25mm  so  their is    105mm of travel left for  the shock

front springs are shorter in length  I need to measure 

should get a chance on the weekend

From what I know ,and going of what people say  you only need  about  75mm to 100mm of travel left in your shocks and if you are bottom out you need stiffer springs

depending on you application  I guess  ,and iam no expert

The camber tops are made recessed  so you don't need to cut out  strut tops on  the car body if you don't want to

if you don't want to use weld in camber tops, or  even Ground control camber tops ,which still need cutting away at the body and re drilling new holes

This is one way to keep your body un cut

saying that ,I am going to open up the  center hole  on the  strut tops on the body of my  car

so you can adjust camber on the fly

but it wont be as extreme as  other options

wouldn,t mind seeing MCA  camber tops or any others

Its a good way to  compare  options available out there for the zeds

another image  of camber tops

Hope this makes sense

With that style of camber plate i don't think your going to be able to get the car low enough and have sufficient travel.

I was looking at some BC coilovers for my 260Z 2+2, but am getting confused/concerned about original widths and lengths of the OEM setup. Apparently the later Zeds, (mine's a 1977) have larger diameter

springs and shocks? I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

It's the diameter of the strut tube you are worried about and you need to use the larger one for that model zed.

It's the diameter of the strut tube you are worried about and you need to use the larger one for that model zed.

Which rules out the off the shelf BC coilover setup. :(

I guess I need to find another way to get more clearance for my fat wheels and tyres, or sell them and get something less wide.

Which rules out the off the shelf BC coilover setup. :(

I guess I need to find another way to get more clearance for my fat wheels and tyres, or sell them and get something less wide.

They do them for the bigger strut (55mm) but they are not in stock and take about 7 days to get in .

Everything is the same except the base that welds to your strut .

When ordering you need to let them know what diameter struts you have

51mm  or 55mm

9" 0 offset wheels should fit on rear but front will need spacer ,

caster rod will hit at full lock  , do your own measurements to make sure

OR MAKE WHEELS FIT 

That's what I did

if you follow the thread on Hybirdz there are a few images of cars with them installed

and they do go low

image of my car with my test fit 

17 x 10.5  J  fronts    and  17 x 11.5  J  rears    SSR Professor     

and it  can go lower  !   

Cheers

post-3986-144023783264_thumb.jpg