Early 240z's for sale offers

Ant240

I have 2 x 71 240zeds that need a new home. I am rural near Geelong Vic and moving in to town with no space. Both are complete cars (some interior and glass removed as I was about to restore), both rusty and in need of restoration. Both 5 speeds. One is matching numbers - HS30-00561, L24-030016, 4th month 1971 - other car is similar vintage ex-track car (not sure who) L28, Koni inserts, holes from cage since gone. Both have twin Hitachi carbs. Will not separate or break. Open to best offer. Email me on antonigecsek@gmail.com or phone 0416262214 if interested.

When you say "vintage track car" any further info?

A CAMS  sticker on the roll cage or dadhboard?

Logbooks or paperwork?

Old rego papers? Who you got it from?

I can access the CAMS database if we can determine the number on a sticker in the car.

The sticker may have a year printed on it, and a four digit handwritten number.

• Administrators

Mate you need to give an indication of a price you're looking for. It is best for everyone involved. Otherwise you'll get kids asking to buy them for $500 and a swap for a KE70 Corolla.

Sorry guys just a quick reply - what I meant was "same vintage" as in 1971 within about 20 numbers or so from the other car - not "vintage track car".

It was not my race car, although I did campaign a 240 including in Marque Sports radial class in the 90's in a couple of races at the same time as Neil Cartledge, Lindsay Drife and Rob Laughton. It is 110 red. It is not Rob Laughton's ex car although in certain light you can see evidence of the large "Z-Spares" stickers from the time on the rear quarters. I believe it may have come from Bendigo. Anyway no log books, Cams stickers, etc.

Gav, re: your suggestion to name a price; I hear your point and I will think about that one.

Cheers

Okay. I think we've established that people want to see a price and yes I've acknowledged I will look at doing that. I will also take some photos and then work out how to best post them however this probably won't happen til the weekend. I was assuming that photos aside, prospective buyers would want to take a look in person. In the meantime - a bit more detail.....

Original numbers car is a road car - no signs of racing. Other car with L28 was raced - cage evidence, Koni inserts and in certain light I can see where large Z-Spares stickers were on the rear quarters. That tells me it could have been raced late 80's to mid 90's as I was campaigning a 240 that I ran in Marque Sports radial class a couple of times (Same time as Neil Cartledge, Lindsay Drife and Rob Laughton). I heard a whisper at one point that it could have been from Bendigo?

Both cars are currently Red 110 however the original numbers road car was originally in the darker red 905. This can be seen now I've got the interior out.

Road car doesn't have any obvious accident damage and the chassis rails, radiator support, etc look straight. Bonnet in particular is super straight however there is some minor hail damage. Track car has dent in roof, dent in right rear quarter and radiator support and rails have evidence of previous repair.

Both cars are rusty but not beyond repair in all of the usual places. I will focus on road car (it's rust is possibly a little more advanced than track car). It has rust perforation in roof side leading edges, floors (and rails) need replacing, rust in top of front guards, lower front guards, lower doors, rear quarter arches, A-pillars and bulkhead - the latter doesn't look irretrievable.

I was planning on removing all panels including unstitching the roof, rear quarters and sills, replacement floors and rails - basically restoring from the inside-out - lots of POR-15 rust preventative inside while panels are off, etc. - trust me this is the only way to do it properly on a 240 resto. If you want a long-term proposition.

Photos soon

Cheers

Antoni

Thought about the price. I will consider all offers around $5000 total for both cars - cash on pick-up or direct deposit prior. Photo's to come - please be patient.

• Administrators

I'm not surprised to be honest especially at that price.

I was tempted myself. But nowhere to store them. First world problems.

Still would like to see photos just to see what they were like.

Considering how quick these cars sold and even without pictures, demonstrates the demand for the 240z :)

They could have sold after an inspection. Details are light on.

I too would love to see photos but we might never see the seller again... :P

5K is what you spend on an average engine combo for the street. Mark my words that people will opt out of these Zeds too early. Watching prices on 2nd hand parts indicates some parts are getting very hard to find. Expect to pay $500 for a pedal box this time next year.

• Administrators

Parts in Australia are hard to find. But between eBay, Yahoo! Auctions and all the vendors reproducing parts I wouldn't start to panic.

If there is enough demand you'll be able to find someone making parts.

So far only the very early 240z parts are hard to source. Some AU specific parts are however taking me a while to find. Like the 5 speed OEM knobs, the drivers door mirror, the early fender mirrors those are proving the hardest to find.

The rest is obtainable if you're willing to spend enough or wait for an item at a good price.

• Administrators

I saw a Monaro GTS in no better condition than my early 240z at a starting price of 20k needing full resto on eBay. I thought that was extreme given that in the US you can pick up many of the Pony cars restored near that price.