gav240z

Evie 1972 Datsun 240z

Managed to finally get some hamster cages for Evie.

Cost a small fortune.

https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-d339318822

But actually a very reasonable price for old sports option parts (in my humble opinion).

Part No. 16500-E4620

I've seen a few NOS ones sell for triple that!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/subVJvsxjBqpn2Vq9

Alan also provided some photos for reference here.

At least with a set in hand it will be easy to potentially copy and make more in future to suit my other S30Z's.

proxy (1).jpeg

proxy (2).jpeg

proxy (3).jpeg

proxy.jpeg

nissan-restoration-club-safari-rally-z-l24-inline-6 (1).jpg

nissan-restoration-club-safari-rally-z-members-tinkering-under-hood (1).jpg

Looks good Gav

Re the air filter

Your local air conditioning supplier (Actrols or Heatcraft) should be able to supply some filter media that you can cut to the desired size and then sandwich between the mesh or you could use foam oiled media and do the same thing with but that will be messy.

Jeff

Couldn't you just cut down an existing K&N or some other panel filter? I just changed a filter from a CR-V which is a big larger, however trimming wouldn't be an issue

Hey Gav, nice pickup and pretty good price too I reckon. I thought the hamster cages had two clips on top of each box though?

47 minutes ago, theremm said:

Hey Gav, nice pickup and pretty good price too I reckon. I thought the hamster cages had two clips on top of each box though?

To quote Alan..hope he doesn't mind.

They made these things over a long period. The very first ones were hand made by the works rally team, then Nissan started selling them as a sports option part and the design changed. They went on to make them - mostly - for the 4cyl cars and there were subtle differences in the construction. I don't know much about the later ones to be honest.

It's possible they are reproductions of some sort, but hard to say. As Alan mentioned in that thread above they wouldn't take much to copy. As for 2 vs 1 clip. I could always modify them to have 2. But given that we don't know exactly how they changed over the years and if they work fine with 1 I'm inclined to leave them as is.

Gav and I are making plans for Evie to return to his possession, so we've been planning some maintenance before this happens.
Gav and Ned came down the shop today to perform an oil and brake fluid change, and also address the 2nd and 3rd gear syncros in the gearbox which were worn....

When I built the gearbox a few years ago, I couldn't get replacement 2nd and 3rd syncro rings in a timely manner, so I just reinstalled the old ones.
They've gradually gotten worse, so I obtained new Nissan syncro rings and today we removed the box, stripped it down, replaced the rings, reassembled it then reinstalled it in the car - all in 8hrs...

received_263584858219632.jpeg