Evie 1972 Datsun 240z

• Administrators

Managed to finally get some hamster cages for Evie.

Cost a small fortune.

https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-d339318822

But actually a very reasonable price for old sports option parts (in my humble opinion).

Part No. 16500-E4620

I've seen a few NOS ones sell for triple that!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/subVJvsxjBqpn2Vq9

Alan also provided some photos for reference here.

At least with a set in hand it will be easy to potentially copy and make more in future to suit my other S30Z's.

proxy (1).jpeg

proxy (2).jpeg

proxy (3).jpeg

proxy.jpeg

nissan-restoration-club-safari-rally-z-l24-inline-6 (1).jpg

nissan-restoration-club-safari-rally-z-members-tinkering-under-hood (1).jpg

Looks good Gav

Re the air filter

Your local air conditioning supplier (Actrols or Heatcraft) should be able to supply some filter media that you can cut to the desired size and then sandwich between the mesh or you could use foam oiled media and do the same thing with but that will be messy.

Jeff

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, theremm said:

Hey Gav, nice pickup and pretty good price too I reckon. I thought the hamster cages had two clips on top of each box though?

To quote Alan..hope he doesn't mind.

They made these things over a long period. The very first ones were hand made by the works rally team, then Nissan started selling them as a sports option part and the design changed. They went on to make them - mostly - for the 4cyl cars and there were subtle differences in the construction. I don't know much about the later ones to be honest.

It's possible they are reproductions of some sort, but hard to say. As Alan mentioned in that thread above they wouldn't take much to copy. As for 2 vs 1 clip. I could always modify them to have 2. But given that we don't know exactly how they changed over the years and if they work fine with 1 I'm inclined to leave them as is.

• 1 year later...

Gav and I are making plans for Evie to return to his possession, so we've been planning some maintenance before this happens.
Gav and Ned came down the shop today to perform an oil and brake fluid change, and also address the 2nd and 3rd gear syncros in the gearbox which were worn....

When I built the gearbox a few years ago, I couldn't get replacement 2nd and 3rd syncro rings in a timely manner, so I just reinstalled the old ones.
They've gradually gotten worse, so I obtained new Nissan syncro rings and today we removed the box, stripped it down, replaced the rings, reassembled it then reinstalled it in the car - all in 8hrs...

received_263584858219632.jpeg

• 7 months later...
  • Administrators

So, long time between updates. I've been sort of broke, and haven't had much surplus cash to spend on the cars. But I figured I could do lots of little things that don't cost too much.

Ever since converting to Triples there has been a few things that bother me over the Twin SUs.

• No heat shielding between the carbs and headers.
  • Nowhere to plumb the PCV hoses from the block and valve cover
  • No Air Horns (velocity stacks) - just K&N filters on the end.

The ideal set up would do all 3, and as you can see above I bought the hamster cages some time back and was planning to use those (but I'll come back to that).

Anyway I looked at a few heat shield options and got this 1 at a very reasonable price.

It's 3 pieces and the bottom part is slightly adjustable so you can push it toward and away from the headers, I guess to accommodate different exhaust designs and clearances.

Plus it's shiny.

Step 1. Test fit.

IMG20210131124949.jpg

It still has the protective film on it here. But good news was no issues with fitment, pretty much spot on.

IMG20210131124955.jpg

You can see how far it extends under the carb bodies (has cut outs for the accelerator pump).

IMG20210131130316.jpg

I still want to run filters for now, so I wanted to see if I could bolt them on with the heat shield in place. Good news is, they fit nicely. Bad news is, they still look hideous.

IMG20210131130320.jpg

What I like about this 1 is that it has the heat shield extend under the intakes and helps funnel cold air from the front of the car.

IMG20210131130326.jpg

Closer shot under the carb body.

IMG20210131130334.jpg

From the rear, plenty of clearance with my generic H&M style headers. Which are ugly as and could use ceramic coating.

IMG20210201234334.jpg

I knew it wasn't going to work, but I had to try. I was hoping I could slip the trumpets on under the K&N filters. Although not shown here I have another pair of K&N filters for 44s but they wouldn't fit and my velocity stacks are damaged (3 of them) because someone cut 2 of them to probably try and fit under a filter in the past. (see front carb for the cut ones) and the #6 has a chip out of it (all before I got them).

IMG20210202203716.jpg

With the film removed you can see the polished mirror finish on this shield. Lovely.

IMG20210202203720.jpg

IMG20210202203725.jpg

And that's the problem, they look so good with the velocity stacks out in the open I kind of want to have this arragement.

I'm thinking I'll get the individual filters that slip over the stacks, but also I wouldn't mind changing the set up around to also fit the hamster cages (best of both worlds).

I've actually found 4 more velocity stacks in good shape (think they are the same as the others) so I'll be shipping them here soon. Polish them up and fit them for extra internet points.

IMG20210202204325.jpg

These engines look so good with the triples hanging off the side.

For the hamster cage set up I found some heat shields like these.

proxy (1).jpeg

proxy.jpeg

And I think these will not stick out in front of the intakes so should give the clearance I need to fit them. What I like about the hamster cages is that they incorporate a velocity stack into them.

But right now my bigger concern is fitting an oil catch can of some description otherwise I get oil residue all over the engine bay. Yucky..

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators

Finally got a set of new covers to match my lenses. Funny enough there are 2 different versions of rings and lens.

I actually had 2 rings with a lens (minor cracks) but they were a mismatched pair.. which would have meant drilling holes in different locations for each headlight bucket on a car.

Plus if I ever needed a replacement I'd need to order an odd lens and normally they would be sold as matched pairs I'd imagine.

Thing is the lenses themselves are different shapes and so even if I redrilled holes in the lenses, they can't be interchanged. Refer to photos.

Before I can fit these I'll need to source some rubber gasket / seals and the mounting hardware. Which I'm sure I've seen somewhere for purchase, just gotta remember where.

received_805488366826018.jpeg

IMG20210721194510.jpg

IMG20210713215629.jpg

IMG20210713220537.jpg

• Administrators
On 7/21/2021 at 6:49 PM, datsunrally said:

Faced with a similar situation l went for the short Unifilter foam socks, they work nicely.

jeff

Hey Jeff, do you have a heat shield below the carbs? If so was it custom made? I know you've got a 4 cylinder so may not be applicable to an L6.

6 minutes ago, gav240z said:

Hey Jeff, do you have a heat shield below the carbs? If so was it custom made? I know you've got a 4 cylinder so may not be applicable to an L6.

Not currently Gav, but it's on the must-do list. Whatever I end up with will need to be custom made, original works type would be rare-as nowadays, plus, I have Webers instead of Solexes so the mountings will be different.

Jeff

• 6 months later...
  • Administrators

Haven't updated here in a while, but another item I've wanted for 20+ years now is a set of Watanabe RS Wheels.

I found 3x 15x8+0 wheels on the Gold Coast. At a fair price, but still need to ship them down and either buy another pair from Watanabe or if they sell a single wheel buy that to match. The 4th was destroyed on a bad pot hole not long after the last owner bought them, so tyres have like 2,000 KMS on them.

I'm not a fan of the polished alloy look of them, so they will need to be gunmetal / magnesium colour - which is just the perfect colour for them IMHO.

Plan is to fit them to the red 240z and I will move the Superlites on it to my white 240z to help get that car roadworthy. And that way I can take my time restoring the rare Fuji Auto Cobras on it (which I might restore and change to 15x8 also - if feasible).

I am curious to weigh the difference between the Superlites and the Watanabes. Will report back when I do.

It will be strange to see the car with different wheels after all these years too.

I bought the car late in 2002. So it is literally 20 years of ownership this year. I also started dating my now wife at the same time. And it's nice to see some continuity over the years of photos I've accumulated with it.

But I enjoy checking off bucket list parts for my cars and this is a purchase I probably put off for too long!

received_1879712462224517.jpeg

received_2001415656711857.jpeg

• 8 months later...
  • Administrators

Some updates for the old girl. Installed the rebuilt distributor with 16 degree initial advance and 16 mechanical additional advance.

No more pre-ignition.

More updates soon.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:39 PM, gav240z said:

Haven't updated here in a while, but another item I've wanted for 20+ years now is a set of Watanabe RS Wheels.

I found 3x 15x8+0 wheels on the Gold Coast. At a fair price, but still need to ship them down and either buy another pair from Watanabe or if they sell a single wheel buy that to match. The 4th was destroyed on a bad pot hole not long after the last owner bought them, so tyres have like 2,000 KMS on them.

I'm not a fan of the polished alloy look of them, so they will need to be gunmetal / magnesium colour - which is just the perfect colour for them IMHO.

Plan is to fit them to the red 240z and I will move the Superlites on it to my white 240z to help get that car roadworthy. And that way I can take my time restoring the rare Fuji Auto Cobras on it (which I might restore and change to 15x8 also - if feasible).

I am curious to weigh the difference between the Superlites and the Watanabes. Will report back when I do.

It will be strange to see the car with different wheels after all these years too.

I bought the car late in 2002. So it is literally 20 years of ownership this year. I also started dating my now wife at the same time. And it's nice to see some continuity over the years of photos I've accumulated with it.

But I enjoy checking off bucket list parts for my cars and this is a purchase I probably put off for too long!

received_1879712462224517.jpeg

received_2001415656711857.jpeg

Updates on the Wats?

:D