Evie 1972 Datsun 240z

I was waiting for Gav to post pictures up, but the cat is out of the bag now...

Huge congratulations to Maria & Gavin on their special day :D
I felt privileged to be apart of it (and I found out that Greek is the most complicated language ever...)

44897494_10158884296891509_4856206881774895104_n.jpg

45004854_10158884297121509_8217981963080826880_n.jpg

Edited by Léon

• Administrators

Thanks guys, the topic had me confused. But funny to see this thread today.

I am still finding rice everywhere, we got pelted for what felt like 10 mins.

The car was great and I had fun driving it on the wedding day. Big thanks to @Léon who helped with some last minute fettling on the Thursday before and taking time out from working on customers cars to help get everything ready.

I will have to post a bigger recommendation for your business in the appropriate section.

I was also impressed by his ability to dance like a true African with those big jumps in the air.

I'm glad we got an 80s band too!

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, 260DET said:

Was the rice pelting to do with the Datsun? Think about it?

Think it's a Greek / Italian thing. I'm lucky there was no sugar coated almonds. I hear they really hurt.

• Administrators

A few more photos, we still haven't got the professional photos from the wedding photographer yet. Evie has been the third wheel in this relationship since the beginning. So the missus and Evie and I have been together for nearly 16 years now (since 2002). It was fitting that it featured heavily on our big day. Even my sister and her husband tried to up stage us with a pose with the car. :)

I was tempted to give the 240z a Scandinavian flick as we arrived in the church (see all that gravel) but decided probably best not to, didn't want to upset the natives (locals).

44896267_1229865440498161_5688978010854653952_n.jpg

44901083_2167087663301638_2231878372386930688_o.jpg

44979319_1851186331603076_3337305742087553024_n.jpg

IMG_5733.jpg

IMG_20181027_180016.jpg

IMG_20181027_180029.jpg

IMG_20181027_180035.jpg

photo5665864425764136891.jpg

44939930_10155508934446012_8122785151131320320_o.jpg

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, NEW260 said:

Congratulations Gav and Maria.

Which aniversary can we expect to see you both posing beside 51

Best wishes

Vince.

Let's hope it's not too many years from now!

Still collecting NOS panels for her. I think the body work won't take too long, but to get it truly OEM in finish and parts etc.. is going to take years! So to be technically finished (possibly never) but to have it assembled, driving and looking good hopefully much sooner!

Oh and I still need to collect that L24 engine and 71A gearbox off you. I'm sure you'd like it out of your way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Now that the wedding hype has died down a bit. 1 thing we discovered on the car that explains why I had so much trouble getting the window crank back on with the new door trims was the fact that my passenger door, is not a 240z door! We have managed to make it work for now, but it's less than ideal..

I've found quite a few questionable changes like this on my 72 240z. To think I originally was too scared to do the rust repair on it as I was worried I'd mess it up.. In hindsight I would have likely done a good job compared to some of the work that was done in previous years. Then again these cars were pretty cheap and nobody wanted to really invest proper money to do things right.

So this must be an early 260z 2 seater door. Which was "modified" to suit my 240z. See if you can spot the "hack" jobs.

IMG_20181025_130043.jpg

Lucky I have a spare 240z door (driver door from an HLS30), which is relatively solid, has a few minor issues that I need to tackle, but shouldn't require too much love to make right.

Tricky part will be painting it (since I put that 240z decal on the sides..

IMG_20181112_150938.jpg

IMG_20181112_150852.jpg

Oh and we finally fitted an undertray..although a couple of bolts had snapped off years ago and getting them out and re-tapping was just not gonna happen (at least not now).

IMG_20181025_154214.jpg

• Administrators
17 hours ago, gilltech said:

The spring is on the opposite side of a 260Z winder to a 240Z. And early and late 260Z winders differ too. Which affects the pressings and hole layout on the inner door skin.

Bingo - In my case the modified door had some nuts acting as spacers on the other side which meant the winder assembly sat too short for the winder mechanism to grab onto. You can also see someone has cut into the door frame to allow for the 240z assembly to be fitted into a 260z door. Coupled with incorrect fasteners which means the whole assembly "floats" when you turn the crank (not fixed in place) and has play, you get a less than ideal window winding experience.

It worked ok with the custom door trims the previous owner had in the car as they sort of sunk inwards as there was more give in the card backings. But once I put proper OEM trims in I couldn't get the winder back on!

We have removed the nuts acting as spacers as a temp fix - which brought the winder forward (sticking out from the door trim), but the window is difficult to wind up and down, because of the reasons mentioned above.

I always wondered why that was and what could be done to improve it, but now that we've determined then doors are wrong it's obvious why the planetary gears are not aligned ideally.

I'll be putting a 240z door back in at some point, since I couldn't live with a hack job like that on 1 of my cars. Ok on a race car, not so good on a good street car.

What I'll do with a hacked 260z door later, I don't know? Might put it on the wall as wall art.

Edited by gav240z
Include quote.

If the 260Z door shell is a really good one then an option would be to retrieve the inner panel from a discarded rusted-out 240Z door and graft that in so you can fit  your 240Z winder, trim panel, pull handle etc. No different to bodywork repairs on any other part of the car.

Edited by gilltech

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, gilltech said:

If the 260Z door shell is a really good one then an option would be to retrieve the inner panel from a discarded rusted-out 240Z door and graft that in so you can fit  your 240Z winder, trim panel, pull handle etc. No different to bodywork repairs on any other part of the car.

True, but I already have a 240z door ready to go. So far less work to use and repaint that, than fix this 1. Plus the 240z door looks much more rust free than the current 260z door which has some rust at the bottom.

Funny 1 of the reasons I never twigged onto the fact that the door was a 260z door and not original to the car was the fact that it was silver inside (the 72 was originally 901 silver so the floor pans are still silver etc..) so it never seemed out of place.

I will keep the 260z door as a spare as we never know when things become useful again or someone else might need it for their 260z 2 seater at some point. I've learnt to never throw anything out (if it can be avoided).

Example: just the other day I was going through some spares and found a grub screw for the rear mirror day/night button on the rear view mirror. Exactly what I needed for my 71 240z, since for some reason its gone missing and I didn't find it amongst all the interiors screws that were left lying around in the car (unlabelled *sigh*). The kind of part that is almost impossible to ask someone for - since it's so small and hardly worth the effort. I wish I kept far more parts off my deceased 260z 2+2. I left so much meat on the bone when that went to the scrap yard years ago!

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Léon said:

Have you repaired the replacement door and sent it down to me yet??????

Don't worry, I could take a few months and it will still be there before you get that bonnet painted lol..