HS30-00019

George

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Lol it didn't look too healthy in that shag pile carpet covering so I was surprised it came up so nice. But that makes a lot more sense.

Did you use Dashboard Doctor in Melbourne?

Did you use Dashboard Doctor in Melbourne?

Yes, they were good to deal with and hit their self-set target delivery wise.

I haven't checked it thoroughly as I didn't want to unpack it at work. I'll be driving in to work tomorrow to bring it home as I'm sure the commuters on the train would not appreciate me banging into them. :P

• Moderators

Yes, they were good to deal with and hit their self-set target delivery wise.

Looks fantastic. Dashboard Doctor have a great reputation and to hear that they hit their delivery just confirms their professionalism. Look forward to seeing more photos.

BUDGET

Looking for feedback on my budget. A lot depends on how much I do myself and my aim is to do as much as possible without compromising the quality and safety of the end result. I'm not averse to paying a professional where it's necessary or where they will deliver a much higher quality product. If I feel I can do a job in a reasonable amount of time then I will spend that time skilling up and enjoying myself in the process.

I haven't tried to list every single component in the costs sections but as you can imagine everything within the group will need to be either replaced or restored.

Body $5k $8k

Notes

Does not include panel, paint or lighting. I have left the panel and paint out of this post.

Costs

Weatherstrip

Grommets

Front windshield

Badges

Bumpers

Locks & other hardware

Suspension & Steering $5k

Notes

Retaining original suspension components

Costs

Powder-coating

Rubber bushes

Shocks & springs replacements

Wheels & Brakes $3k

Notes

Sadly no flares :( Steelies and hubcaps instead! :)

Costs

Steel wheels

Hubcaps

Reco brakes

Brake lines and fittings

Engine $7-10k

Notes

I have 3 engines and have not decided whether I will run the original one or not. Separate discussion.

Costs

Reco engine

Reco ancillaries

etc etc

Transmission, Diff & Shafts $3k

Notes

I have a gearbox ready to slot in. Should come under budget here.

Costs

Reco diff

Seals & oil

Fuel System $2k

Notes

I have most of the hardware so it's mostly reco which I will do myself.

Costs

Reco fuel tank

Reco carbs

Fuel line and fittings

Exhaust $2k

Notes

Nothing fancy here but it all needs to be replaced

Costs

Complete system

Electrical $3k

Notes

I have all of the original looms but I'm not sure if it's worth trying to make sense of them. I haven't paid too much attention to this part and I suspect the budgeted figure is too low if. Having said that, I'm not afraid of having a go myself in which case the budgeted figure is overinflated.

I have all lights etc

Costs

Electrician fees (possibly)

Replacement loom/s (possibly)

Interior $5k $9k

Notes

Almost nothing was salvageable here so it all has to be replaced

Costs

Plastic panels

Carpet

Vinyl

Headliner

Dash

Door cards/hardware

Seats

Other $5k

Notes

Miscellaneous bits and pieces, tow fees, books, band aids etc

Have at it gentlemen. Where am I dreaming and where have I potentially allocated too much?

George - At my best reckoning you are about half right!

'Other' will be directly proportional on how much you do yourself. $5k is very optimistic.

Peter, I'm a big fan of Grand Designs. I've seen every episode and on each one the home owners go over budget by at least 20% and there's Kevin, the host of the show, all smug with this 'I told you so' look on his face. I'm prepared for budget blow outs. ;)

'Other' is just bits and pieces. It does not include anything of substance for the car. Other is the least of my problems.

...'Other' is just bits and pieces. It does not include anything of substance for the car. Other is the least of my problems.

It is the one area which will get away from you. I had two trips to Bunnings, one to Southern Fasteners and one to AutuOne yesterday... $100... just like that. Oh, did I mention I have a shed full of useless stuff I bought on ebay which "seemed like a good idea at the time"!

Let me also add you could be dead tomorrow, so go for it.

• Moderators

Let me also add you could be dead tomorrow, so go for it.

So true, and as Gordon Gecko said

"Money is what you have in case you don't die today"

Re the budget, have to agree blow outs happen, but the basic numbers seem well thought out - although the body number not so confident. Regardless of that your approach is way ahead of the more common "about $xxxxx" we here all to often.

Really looking forward to watching your progress.

Cheers

PB

George I think if your patient and keep on the lookout

for bargains your numbers wont be far off.

Interior I think is your biggest under estimate. I would almost double

what you have there.

For elec maybe contact vintage wiring harness in Vic. they do a great job. Not sure if they have

done a Z but most of there full loom rewires are under 1000. Just send them your

old buggered loom and they copy it.

cheers

Paul

• Administrators

My approach is different to yours George I started counting but I'd rather not know lol...no that's not true. At some point I'll document it but I'm using as many used parts as possible. At least for now, I plan to spend good money on the bodywork in terms of paint etc.. And I'm trying to do as much of the bodywork myself, but then I have to factor in cost of tools and course fees.

I'm still trying to decide on a stock motor rebuild vs building a serious L-series.

The hidden cost of DIY is material costs etc.. I often think I can save money restoring a part oy to discover that for a little more I could have bought a new 1.

I guess it comes down to how perfect you want the end result.

Hi George,

Loving your thread mate, well done with sticking to that project, but I'd suggest you'll be very light on body costs. Perhaps if you stick a zero on the end of your estimate you might be closer, which means like Pete says, 'you're about half right'. Not to discourage you here, but these costs just keep piling up. Keeping original wheels / exhaust / suspension will save a lot, and you should be able to find most of the interior on here, or similar sites.

If I can be of assistance, give me a shout mate.

Adam

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will revise some of my numbers.

Body, I have spent $2k and have all of the weatherstrip pieces and most of the grommets/seals. I also have all of the windows and locks. I need bumpers and a few clips so from the $3k balance I should comfortably come within budget. I concede there are small bits and pieces that will add up and then there is the cost of restoring parts. I might stuff up a trim or two and before I know it the cost gets away... I will revise this figure.

Just to clarify again, the body does not include panel and paint.

Interior, I have spent a touch over $1k and have the complete dash, steering wheel, console, knobs and radio. I am in the middle of ordering the complete interior (plastic, door trim, vinyl, carpet and reco seats with new trim and foam) for around $3k. Even so, my budgeted figure, I realise now, is too low. The small things like an ash tray or a shifter knob can cost a lot. I will revise this figure.

Thanks again and happy to hear from others here or in a private message.

• Moderators

With regards to the loom, once you remove it, just check for any major damage like wires melted together or from previous owner butchering, and if it all seems good, just re wrap and install. I've repaired a few looms and it's not that complicated to do yourself.